Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old June 2nd, 2010, 08:55 AM
New Forum User

Set crop tool aspect ratio in pixels, not inches?

I routinely post photos to a blog which requires the images to be 502 x 209 pixels. I've been adjusting this manually, using the image size controls, but what I'd really like to do is have a crop tool setting that would allow me to use a pre-set crop at the correct pixels, just like you can do in inches.

Is this possible?
Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:46 AM
Senior Contributor

bythecshore, in CS4 you can set the marquee tool style to Fixed Ratio or Fixed Size, this will automatically give you a set crop tool.
The option is available in the top options bar.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 10:44 AM

I'm not sure if you can add preset crop sizes although there may be a file somewhere that lets you do it but another way is to open an image that is the correct pixel size and in the crop tool select "Use Photo Ratio". Now every image you crop after that will come out the same dimensions in pixels.

Tony
Old June 2nd, 2010, 11:16 AM
Senior Contributor

bythecshore

No problem. It would be good to know what version of Photoshop Elements that you are using, but for now I will assume that it is Photoshop Elements 8.0.

Click on the Crop Tool in the Toolbox.

In the option bar at the top of the interface:
Aspect Ratio, set for Custom
Width, type in 590 px
Height, type in 290 px

If you take the time to right click the space where you just typed 590 px, you will see the drop list with units that you could have used:
pixels
inches
cm
mm
columns

Essentially same holds true for Photoshop Elements 7 Full Editor Crop Tool options.

If any further clarification needed, please do not hesitate to ask.

ATR
Old June 2nd, 2010, 11:32 AM
New Forum User

Thanks - the "use photo ratio" worked like a charm. Just wish there was some way to make that a preset.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 11:45 AM
New Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATR View Post
bythecshore

click on the Crop Tool in the Toolbox.

In the option bar at the top of the interface:
Aspect Ratio, set for Custom
Width, type in 590 px
Height, type in 290 px

ATR
Even better. Funny, I had almost figured it out... I tried putting "502 p" in there and it wouldn't take. Just rt-click.... sometimes it's so simple!
Old June 2nd, 2010, 11:53 AM
Senior Contributor

bythecshore

Glad that helped.

It looks like I took liberties with the numbers that you posted...you 502 x 209 pixels...and somehow I wrote them as 590 x 290 pixels. That was just a typo on my side and not meant to imply magic numbers.

You were doing great with your troubleshooting, but a little help from your friends comes in handy from time to time.

ATR
Old June 2nd, 2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bythecshore View Post
Thanks - the "use photo ratio" worked like a charm. Just wish there was some way to make that a preset.
Glad to hear that worked. Used to be that if you got access to full Photoshop you could set it up there and then copy the Defaults Tool Presets.tpl file over to Elements (I think it's called Defaults ELTool Presets.tpl in Elements. However that was several versions back and I don't know if that would still work.

Tony