Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Images and Creative Techniques > Digital Scrapbooking

Old April 28th, 2010, 10:01 AM
New Forum User

Where do you print your photobooks??

Hi,

I finally finish my 2009 photobook....

I have printed with shutterfly...

But I would like to know different options...

Thanx
Old May 8th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I have had great success with Inkubook. Straightforward uploading. I have had a little problem getting the cover to fit, but their Live Chat is excellent. Jean

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSE 5.0 and 11.0 on PC with Windows 7
Old May 8th, 2010, 05:59 PM
New Forum User

It depends on what you're printing. I do digital scrapbooking, so I look for books in the square format, particularly 8X8 and 12X12. I have printed with Shutterfly and Blurb (both 12X12 casewrap hardcover) and preferred Shutterfly. Blurb was inexpensive, but the cover is not very durable.

If you're interested in a more in-depth review, a friend on another forum posted reviews of other products:

http://www.digitalhomethoughts.com/n...w/97676/0/1/15

which was followed up on this forum:

http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...companies.html

HTH!
Old May 9th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Frequent Contributor

I've used Shutterfly, Snapfish and Walmart. The latest I did was with Shutterfly and their online tool was extremely easy to use. I had a lot of pictures to add, and then rearrange, and then add a few more. It was very easy to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------
Andy

Cameras and lenses:
- Nikon D90 with Nikon AF-S 18-200 mm, Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D-AF
- Sony DSC RX-100

Software:
PSE12, LR5.2,
Perfect Photo Suite 8, Topaz PhotoFX, Adjust, Simplify, Clarity, ReStyle, Clean, DeNoise, Detail, Lens Effects
Computer:
-Win 7/64 Pro; Intel core i7-3770 (4@3.4Ghz), 32 Gb RAM
-Canon PRO-100 printer, Intuos4 Small tablet

-----------------------------------------------
He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. - Douglas Adams
Old May 9th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Senior Contributor

That comparison website was very good. Inkubook was rated up there.
Regarding uploading photos - I do it in the evening. 70 pages were uploaded and put into a book in 69 minutes - I timed it.
I came to the computer during commercials and uploaded eight pages (I do complete finished pages, do not use their autofill) and put the previous eight pages into their place in the book - this during the commercial break. That way I am not sitting at the computer waiting for the photos to upload.
Jean

PSE 5.0 and 11.0 on PC with Windows 7
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Casual Forum User

Right now Winkflash has a sale. They do full bleed, if that is what you want.

Old September 10th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Casual Forum User

I've tried Shutterfly and MyPicTales and had great results from both!
Old September 11th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Casual Forum User

I've printed both at viovo & shutterfy. Both sites cut off my edges for 8x8 books. At shutterfy I even went through the process of re croppping each page,turning off that vivid option we are suppose to for digital Lo's & using the digiscrapbook section instead of the regular photobook section and still the edges were cropped off! I like the 8x8 size for storage reasons and price but am not satisfied with the edges being cut off. i think I'd rather print at home now even if it costs more in ink etc. At least the colors are more vivid & no cut off edges
Old September 11th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Casual Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joba View Post
I've printed both at viovo & shutterfy. Both sites cut off my edges for 8x8 books. At shutterfy I even went through the process of re croppping each page,turning off that vivid option we are suppose to for digital Lo's & using the digiscrapbook section instead of the regular photobook section and still the edges were cropped off! I like the 8x8 size for storage reasons and price but am not satisfied with the edges being cut off. i think I'd rather print at home now even if it costs more in ink etc. At least the colors are more vivid & no cut off edges
Joba,

The key to getting your pages like you want them is to size them to the printers specifications and add extra bleed area. For Shutterfly, that means your page size should be 7.95x7.95 and it will trim to 7.75x7.75. Leave extra background paper around the edges, and keep important stuff 1/8" in from the edge, and an extra 1/4" (so 3/8" total) from the edge on the binding side of the page. This will happen with every photobook printer out there. It's simply due to the manufacturing process. Understanding the specs can be intimidating, but if you take the time to figure it out (or to get some templates/actions with guide rules) your pages will be just as you expect them to be. I'm not 100% sure on VioVio's guidelines, but I think they are the same as MyPicTales...8.25x8.25 with 1/8" bleed on each side, and the extra 1/4" on the binding side.

Also, note, if you upload a 12x12 for an 8x8 book, the pages are reduced by 33%, so you need to allow additional room for the bleed. That's why I always recommend resizing pages and adding bleed when designing your book, especially if you scrap with things close to the edges.

I hope this helps!
Old September 11th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Casual Forum User

Thanks Wendy I'll save your post for reference & give it another try for next album.
Ps: Just re read you post. So you are suggesting NOT to upload 12x12 pages but resize to 7.95X7.95 before uploading correct?

Last edited by Joba; September 11th, 2010 at 02:54 PM.