Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old April 19th, 2010, 11:42 PM
New Forum User

Send a message via Skype™ to New2PSE7
Question Full Edit Mode "Layer Styles" Tab

I am DESPERITE....
I have PSE8 and it has been working just fine until today. When I open full edit my Layer Styles tab is empty, there are no styles listed, when I put my mouse pointer on it the curser changes to a circle with a line thru it. I worked in layer styles just last night and no today it is gone. All of the other tabs still have items in it, it looks normal it is just layer styles that is gone. I have windows 7 OS just in case you need to know.
Can someone PLEASE give me some advise, I am a novice user so i dont know a whole lot about computers, just the basics. I do know how to find the file my layer styles are and i did look at it and all of the layer styles are still in the main file.

Any Ideas? Please let know, I want to go and play I am having withdrawls cause I use layer styles ALL THE TIME
Old April 20th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Try resetting the preferences. Restart Elements and as soon as you see the main screen starting to load hold down the Shift, Ctrl, and Alt keys together until the program loads. You should see some sort of message that says it's rebuilding, then release the keys. Hope this helps.

Diana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Itís not happy people who are thankful, itís thankful people who are happy.

~ Canon 5D Mark II ~ Canon Rebel XTi ~ EF70-200 f/2.8L ~ EF85 f/1.8 ~ EF24-70 f/2.8 ~ EF 24-105 f4 L IS ~ EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon PowerShot S95 ~ Canon PowerShot SX50 HS ~ Windows 7 ~ PSE 11 & 12 ~ PS CC ~ Lightroom5 ~ Pro Show Producer ~ Corel Painter X ~ Printers: Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II, HP Deskjet 882C, HP LaserJet 1200 ~
Old April 20th, 2010, 12:35 AM
New Forum User

Reset

Hi Diana,
Well, I tried what you recomended and I get the following message " do you want to delete the Adobe Elements Settings files", I said No becasue I wanted to ask you is that what I want? Please advise thanks so much
Old April 20th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi ...

You need to say Yes when you get that dialogue box

However I'm not sure that deleting the prefs will fix this one. Have you been installing something into Elements ... like actions, layer styles etc ?

If so just post a message and one of us will post the fix for you

Wendy

"

Old April 20th, 2010, 03:38 AM
New Forum User

Wendy, Yes, I installed 3 new Layer styles yesterday, I have had them in before but I just recently had to to a complete reinstall of my opertating system and I am slowing 'putting stuff back". To install anything into PSE i use the Add o Matic program ( hope that it is ok to mention that), I have always had so much luck with that program but I was having a difficult time getting it to load the day i installed the 3 layer styles, anyway, that is all that I have done. I did go into my presets today and deleted the 3 styles hoping by doing that it would make the rest of the layer styles show up. As it stands right now all i have access to is filters and Photo Effects, which, i rarely use, i mainly use layer styles. Also, I am fine with uninstalling and reinstalling but I am concered about the message i get when i tried to uninstall it earlier today, it said to "deactivate" the serial number" of PSE in order to install it on a different computer, the part that worries me is that I am not going to reinstall on a different computer, it would be the same computer and i am afraid if i deactivate it i will have nothing but problems when i install again. Sorry so long, Thanks for your guideance, i dont know what i would do without all you wonderful people
Old April 20th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi ...

Its the install of the styles that has caused the problem ... and its pretty easy to fix

What you need to do is close down Elements, find the mediadatabase.d3 file and pop it in the trash ... then restart Elemements and let it rebuild. That should fix it.

Here is the location of the file:

XP ... C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\8.0\Locale\ en-US

Vista ... C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\8.0\Locale\ en-US

Wendy
PS .. By the way Deactivating is fine to do ... so don't worry about that. In fact you do need to do it anytime you need to uninstall Elements otherwise you will have problems. I have deactivated many time and it always been OK

"

Old April 20th, 2010, 04:06 PM
New Forum User

You are WONDERFUL!!!! That did the trick, You made me a happy girl again I have always wondered what the mediadatabase.d3 was all about, i see so many posts in different forums about that and now i know, thanks to YOU!!!!. One question i have is after i did all that i did see the contents and effects box come up and it did the rebuild but now my curser is acting weird, it keeps flashing between a normal pointer and then to a round circle, should i just close out and go back in? I thank God for these forums, everyone is so helpful I just cant say enough good about it. 'Thanks for everything Wendy.
Old April 21st, 2010, 02:21 AM
Enlightened Elder

Oh you are most welcome

Regarding the Cursor ... I know that there are some issues with Windows 7 and the Cursor. I'm a Mac user so can't help on that one but opefully one of the windows users will be able to help you

Wendy

"