Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Photography Discussions > Photography Equipment

Old April 4th, 2010, 01:12 AM
New Forum User

Looking for a new printer

and eventually 2 new lenses. One wide angle, one telephoto macro.

Lenses are secondary.

Right now I am looking for advice a to what printers I should be look for under $1000.

I am NO professional, and never will be. But I like to dabble, landscape, candid, sports, events ,etc. Not into portraits.

I have PSE and PRE 8.0 Spyder 3 for calibration.

a VERY powerful system.

I currently use a Photo Stylus 300. Its great for 4X6 (once I figured out the screen calibration.

But I want more... dabble in black in white. Make larger printers. and just get kind of serious as an amateur.

I was looking at the Epson 1440 or the 2880 (I think that is the one up from the 1440.

I am not practical to Epson, I want a GOOD printer for an amateur with ambition. Something that wont cost too much with ink, and that gives me time for grow.

So, regardless of the manufacture, if you have a printer, lease let me know what it is, and why you like it so much. and if there are any things you don't like, that you wish they would fix.

I want a good solid printer that gives me options, but doesn't put me over budget and make people believe I am a pro. I dabble. I have some pretty good shoots, now I want a REAL printer.

I appreciate any and all advice.

T Hanks in advance.

-G
Old April 4th, 2010, 01:47 AM
New Forum User

Looking for other advice

I have a Cannon EOS 40 D (bought 2 months before the 50D came out).

anyway, I have 2 lenses,
35MM/1.2ft - EFS 17-85
1.5MM/4.9FT - 70-300 MM Macro

I have pretty much everything else, multiple battery holder (makes camera a bit heavy, but my Silk Tripod and Silk Unipod assist there.

I haven't exceeded my abilities yet, but several people suggestion:
- Smaller lens to 35MM
- Wide Angle
- Telephoto (bigger than the 70-300)

Now, I know Cannon has a multiplier of 1.5 for each lense, so 70MM would really be 115MM, etc.

So, as I continue to grow (and I have read EVERY SINGE book I can find, taken 200K pic's, and 98% dumped, but I am learning)

So, I am looking to the experts out here. Keep in mind I am on a budget and will need to get things as they go.

What what other lenses should I have to complete my set outside of the 2 I already have. And please let me know why you suggest any specific lense.

Again, this place is awesome, I a have learned more here in the past 6 months than I have in 10 years.

BTW, I have what I believe is truly the best picture I have ever taken. A candid shot between my wife and my 2.5 yr old son at a fair. Remember the WW2 pic of the "sailer kissing the nurse" I swear this can beat it.

I just need to figure out Photoshop to really make it the best.

but first things first. New Printer, new Lenses.

btw, any other suggest ides, books, equipment etc, I am OPEN to suggestions.

I am about to enroll in a digital photo course and take a Photo shop class as well.

T His is growing to be more than a hobby to me now. I LOVE IT. seeing this through a picture tells a story.. not everyone knows.. but everyone can make up there own. ROCKS

I recently boosted my system to the two top Dual Core AMD processes, 1 GB PC-E with GPU process. 4 Tera-byte drive. 2 internal on SATA with high access rate and 2 external for back up.

My system rates near an 8 on almost all settings and on memory and graphics' knocks the socks off any system I have ever had or run into at my friends, and they are all big time gamers.

Now time to get to work.

Again, thanks for the all the help.

-G
Old April 4th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Known Forum User

Greystorm, how big of a print do you want to make. Canon Pixma Pro9000 series will make prints up to about 13" by 23" (approximately)...see URL below and B&H are selling them for around $500 ($US)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...tialSearch=yes

I have one of its predecessors the Canon i9900 and I am quite happy with the results I get from the printer. Inks are a little expensive, but that's the price of the hobby for me.

As for the lenses, there really isn't any such thing as a telephoto macro...it may say Macro on it, but it will not give you the performance that a true macro lens will. I have a 24-105 mm lens that says Macro on it, but I would never rely on it for typical macro work. Its macro ability allows it to focus up to 1.5 feet from a subject, but my true macro lenses will let me get within inches of the subject. Anyway, macro lenses are another subject altogether. You may want to think about getting some extension tubes - Kenko make a good compatible set - and trying them with the 35 mm that you already have as a good substitute for a macro lens. They are certainly a lot less expensive than a macro lens.

The only zoom lens that I know of for Canon that is bigger than what you have is the 100-400 mm IS L and it is not cheap. You may want to look at 3rd party lenses by Sigma and Tamron for something bigger (longer) than what you have. I have no experience with these products, so maybe others can give you some advice in this area. As for a wide angle lens, there are many to choose from...I have the 16-35 mm L II and it gives me great IQ, so I am quite happy with it. You may want to look at an EF 17-40 or an EF-S 10 to 22 mm. Just suggestions for now, but, hopefully, these can give you a place to start looking.

Cheers,

WesternGuy
Old April 4th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Senior Contributor

WesternGuy has made a great recommendation in the Canon ip9000. There is also a more expensive "evil twin" the ip9500 which is more expensive abut it uses pigment ink (the ip9000 uses dye ink), and is supposed to be a bit better for B&W work, although I have no personal experience with it. I think it is about $800.

These printers are pretty big, given the 13X19 format paper they devour, so you need a pretty good amount of desktop/table space to set them up.

If 8.5X11 is all you really need look at the baby brother of the bunch, the ip4700. It costs only $100 but does a superb job. I have an older ip4200 model that I have had in service for years. It really performs well.

So if you have the desktop real estate and crave large prints, or have less pace and don't need as big a print, you have two excellent choices.

Epson also makes superb printers. Check out eh R1900 and the R2880, you should find both for less than a grand.

Jeff
Sony Vaio AW120J w/ Vista x64
Lenovo IdeaPad Netbook U150 w/ Windows 7 x64
CS5, LR3, PSE6
Plug-ins by Topaz Labs, Nik, onOne, Alien Skin, AutoFX, etc.
HDR by Photomatix Pro
Old April 4th, 2010, 04:42 PM
New Forum User

Printer?

Thanks for the replies. I was originally looking at the Epson 1440, as I currently have an Epson Photo Stylus R300 which I like very much.

Just looking for something a bit more industrial.

I then found the Epson 2880, and I was all set to buy it. I mean 1 second away from clicking when I noticed the Cannon I9500.

They are both about the same price, but I just don't know which would be better for me... quality pictures, B&W, Ink Usage(Cost), PPM, MTBF, etc...

I have googled for any place that has done a back-off between then and nothing.

I have had good luck with Epson, but Cannon is a good name (and it happens to be the brand of Camera I use

its funny, when the $ amount gets over $500 the amount of research one will make... LOL.

Thanks again

If anyone out there has experience with either the Epson 2880 or the Cannon i9500, please let me know your experience with either.

Thanks

-G
Old April 4th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Greystorm, the only thing I can add is that there are lot many papers available for Epson then for Canon.
Epson consumables are easier to find in retail stores.
I presently use and am happy with a Canon IP3600, just wish there were more papers available at retail stores.
Old April 5th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Casual Forum User

Printer

I've had an Epson 3800 printer for about 8 months now and love it. I bought it for 2 reasons: 1. I wanted to use pigment inks. 2. I wanted to be able to print 17" x 22" prints. The printer works great. It was a refurbished 3800 and so I got it at a substantially lower price. I've had no problems with it.

TonyD's Photos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon 5D Mk II, Canon Rebel SL1, Canon Lenses: 24-105, 100-2.8 macro, 70-200 F4, 400 f5.6, 40 STM

Last edited by ademaio; April 5th, 2010 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Spelling