Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Images and Creative Techniques > Before and After

Old March 28th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Senior Contributor

What Can I Do With This 95-year-old Photo?

Hi everyone,

The woman in this photo is my husband's grandmother. The baby on her lap is her son (my husband's father). This photo was printed to resemble a postcard. On the other side it says "Post Card" and has the usual places to write the message and the address and for postage. There's a handwritten date on it -- Jan 1915.

My husband asked if I could do some restoration on it. I said yes, but the more I look at this photo the more I feel at a loss.

All I did so far was to do a levels adjustment. Then I tried to fix that damage (tear) which runs across the photo diagonally.

I think the baby can use some improvement, but I have no idea what to do. What about the woman's face? Also, what about all those stains? I guess I could do some cropping.

As you can tell I'm in a bind here. I would appreciate any advice, suggestions, help you could offer.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Before.jpg (97.7 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg After.jpg (98.2 KB, 140 views)

PSE7,10,11,12,13 (Windows 7 64-bit)

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." -- Mark Twain
Old March 28th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Sepiana
I did a little level adjustment and a little contrast and came up with this. The overall photo of the baby is a bit out of focus so I'm not sure how much more you will be able to bring him in focus. It did take some of the glare from the old processing out of the photo though. You did a great job on the tear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NMarti; March 28th, 2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old March 28th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Nancy, thanks for the input! It's so helpful to have someone else look at an image like this one. I'm so tired by now that I can't even think straight. That's what it needed -- some contrast.

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." -- Mark Twain
Old March 28th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Glad that worked for you.

Old March 29th, 2010, 03:19 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Sepiana ...

When you look at the original image does the discolouration change as you move the photo around (like tilting it)?

If you it sounds like it may be silvering ... with silvering you can get good results by scanning the image then rotating it slightly and scanning again. Keep on doing that and just see which one looks the best. Or sometimes photographing it in natural light is better

Wendy

"

Old March 29th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Casual Forum User

I agree with Wendy, it looks like it's silvered or tarnished. You could try to convert it to B&W and see if that helps. Even better, if you have Grant's tools or something that lets you separate the shot into channels(RGB), you can see which channel or combination of channels gives you the best image. That not only removes most the staining or discoloration it also helps with noise to some extent.
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Wendy and Rob,

Sorry for delaying so much in responding to your input. I just wish the day had more hours.

You are both absolutely right. It's silvering. I took the photo by a window and began tilting it -- the discoloration would change accordingly.

I have been playing around with rotating/scanning and with shooting the photo using natural light. I also tried converting it to b/w and playing with Grant's Tools.

The silvering is not so obvious now, except on the bottom right corner. Do you think it would be ok if I created a vignette to cover it up and maybe use some cloning. Or is it cheating?

Thanks to both of you for your help!

Last edited by Sepiana; April 7th, 2010 at 12:36 AM. Reason: fix wording
Old April 7th, 2010, 03:26 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Sepiana ...

As the bottom right hand corner isn't an important part of the image I would just clone away the silvering ... ")

... and cloning is never cheating

Wendy

"

Old April 7th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Known Forum User

Sepiana. I just worked some blending magic in the channels and painted out the silvering and reworked the dress. The hair that was masked by the silvering I copied from the right side.

Just an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepiana View Post
Hi everyone,

The woman in this photo is my husband's grandmother. The baby on her lap is her son (my husband's father). This photo was printed to resemble a postcard. On the other side it says "Post Card" and has the usual places to write the message and the address and for postage. There's a handwritten date on it -- Jan 1915.

My husband asked if I could do some restoration on it. I said yes, but the more I look at this photo the more I feel at a loss.

All I did so far was to do a levels adjustment. Then I tried to fix that damage (tear) which runs across the photo diagonally.

I think the baby can use some improvement, but I have no idea what to do. What about the woman's face? Also, what about all those stains? I guess I could do some cropping.

As you can tell I'm in a bind here. I would appreciate any advice, suggestions, help you could offer.

Thanks in advance!

win8pro/64b 12g ram, 3gvideo, 1.5tb hd
Old April 7th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Known Forum User

I tried selecting the baby's face and putting it on another layer with blend mode set to multiply -- that seemed to bring out the features a bit more. Also played with noise reduction and sharpening of various parts of the picture. Converted to black and white and ignored the silvering while working on the contrast then added a warming tone to get back some of the original feel.