Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old February 28th, 2010, 11:13 PM
New Forum User

need to shrink and print without looking pixel-y!

Thank you so much in advance for your time! I have PSE5. I am making a mini-scrapbook and need to shrink all my pictures down. This is what I've tried: opened a new file and choose 4x6 as the dimensions, opened several images, dropped them into the file, drug the corners to the desired size, and printed the 4x6 file at WalMart. The picture looks horrible, very pixelated. These are good quality pictures to start with. (4800 pixels x 3200 pixels)

Then, I checked this book out from the library called "Photoshop Elements5 Book for Digital Photographers". In a section on resizing, he says to open your photo, and turn off "resample image" under image size. Then I changed the image size to 3" wide (which is what I need for a couple of pictures), and it automatically chose 2" height (which is fine). When I click ok, the rulers say 3x2. The image looks great! Now, how do I print it? (I don't have my own photo printer) If I save this image the way it is, it's still going to print a 4x6 when I take it to the Kodak Maker. And when I go to drop it into a 4x6 file on PSE (which is the smallest size I can print at WalMart), it fills the 4x6 space with the image...not to mention the image is pixelated again. URG! I'm soooo frustrated. I told my friend I would have this album done a month ago, and I've been fighting the entire time with the pictures. Please, please somebody help.

-foxxbat2k
Old March 1st, 2010, 07:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxxbat2k View Post
Thank you so much in advance for your time! I have PSE5. I am making a mini-scrapbook and need to shrink all my pictures down. This is what I've tried: opened a new file and choose 4x6 as the dimensions, opened several images, dropped them into the file, drug the corners to the desired size, and printed the 4x6 file at WalMart. The picture looks horrible, very pixelated. These are good quality pictures to start with. (4800 pixels x 3200 pixels)
-foxxbat2k
What was the resolution of your original and what resolution document did you drag them into?
Chances are that the 4x6 document was a low resolution document, therefore anything you dragged in would change to the low resolution.
Old March 1st, 2010, 07:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxxbat2k View Post
Then, I checked this book out from the library called "Photoshop Elements5 Book for Digital Photographers". In a section on resizing, he says to open your photo, and turn off "resample image" under image size. Then I changed the image size to 3" wide (which is what I need for a couple of pictures), and it automatically chose 2" height (which is fine). When I click ok, the rulers say 3x2. The image looks great! Now, how do I print it? (I don't have my own photo printer) If I save this image the way it is, it's still going to print a 4x6 when I take it to the Kodak Maker. And when I go to drop it into a 4x6 file on PSE (which is the smallest size I can print at WalMart), it fills the 4x6 space with the image...not to mention the image is pixelated again. URG! I'm soooo frustrated. I told my friend I would have this album done a month ago, and I've been fighting the entire time with the pictures. Please, please somebody help.

-foxxbat2k
I had the same problem. Here's what I did"
When you print at Walmart and select their 4x6 the printer will automatically enlarge the smaller photo to 4x6.
I don't know whether they have an option to print at 100%.
What you can do is create a 4x6 document and put a border around the edges.
Once you have this set up position your 3x2 in the center of the 4x6. Now that the border fills the 4x6 the printer will print it normally.
If you have more than one 3x2 you can use this method and double up your photos on the same 4x6 sheet.
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:18 PM
New Forum User

I guess the document size is 72 pixels/inch. I get it by going under 'File', 'New', 'Blank File', and then I type in my 6x4 dimensions. It says 72 in this dialog box before I hit ok. Resolution on the original photo is 72, but when I resize it with the resample thing turned off, it gives me 1584 pixels/inch. Are you saying there's a higher resolution document to drop it into which will give me a great picture?

I've tried doubling up on my photos before, see attachment. But after I resize it (which, might I add again, looks great... and the rulers say it is 3x2 like I want) and then drag it into the blank 4x6 file, it stretches to fill the space and looks like crap again. I'll also attach a photo that I've resized to 3x2 using the resample thing. Maybe you could open it in your PSE and play with it?

I tried the border thing too. I picked a wedding frame with a blank spot in the center. I drug the beautiful resized pic into the center and it instantly turns to crap.

I'm sorry to be a pain! Please don't give up on me! Any other ideas?
And thank you again for your time!
~foxxbat2k

finished14.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg finished1.jpg (21.6 KB, 11 views)
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:42 PM
Known Forum User

If I were doing this at home, I would select the crop tool, plug in the 3x2 for width and height. then enter in 300 in the Resolution box of the crop tool.

On the image, drag out the crop that you want to print and Elements will do the rest of it.

If I print the resulting image on my printer set to 4x6 it will be centered andjust the right size. If you wanted to get fancy and have a good trimmer, you could set up 2 3x3 on one 4x6 and get two for one. (Depends on the time and numbers to be printed as to if it is worthwhile.)

Not sure what Walmart would go do - they might just expand the print to fill the available space and you would need to tell them not to do that. If that doesn't work, you might need to expand the canvas size after cropping to the 3x2 size. Or, set up a 4x6 300 DPI blank image and then crop your image, drag the layer to the "blank", center, save as, repeat on next image.
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:06 PM
Senior Contributor

When I resize a 4800 pixel x 3200 pixel 72 dpi document to 3 x 2 it has a resolution of 1600 dpi which way beyond what you need for a good quality print.
The dialog box you refer to should not read 72 dpi, it should be 300 dpi.
The image you posted is 72 dpi which is not suitable for printing.

This is what the 3" x 2" 72 dpi photo looks like on a 3" x 2" 300 dpi document. Had you reduced the original properly you would not have had this problem.

When you drag the original into a 3 x 2 document it will be much larger than the document. You will have to scale (reduce) the image to fit properly. When reducing hold the shift key down so it reduces in proportion. If you don't hold the shift key down it becomes distorted (not in the same aspect ratio).

There are a number of ways of getting what you want, however, try the following (2 simple ways of reducing or enlarging a photo):

Follow this:
1. Create a document 3" x 2" 300 dpi.
2. Now select the entire, or the approximate area of the large photo you wish to use.
3. Drag the selection onto the 3" x 2" 300 dpi document.
4. Scale (reduce) the image to fit the 3x2 size.
This will give you a 3" x 2" 300 dpi document which will not be pixelated.
If the image it too large for you to see the bounding box reduce the image with the magnifying glass and then enlarge the window by dragging the lower corner until you see the bounding box.
Once you see the bounding box begin to reduce the image to fit the 3" x 2" document.

Or you can try this if you're using the entire photo and not cropping any part of it:
1. Get Image Size.
2. Keep Resample checked.
3. Change the resolution to 300
4. Change the size to 3" (the other dimension will automatically become 2").

post back if you need more info.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:58 PM
New Forum User

I think it's fixed! I won't know for certain until I try to print tomorrow. I've already been to WalMart once tonight after I tried to load a 3x2 300 res. image into a 3x2 300 res. file. I hoped it would just print in the center of a 4x6, but it stretched it to a 4x6 picture. Although the photo quality was still excellent, it wasn't the size I needed. So, I came back home...crying. And re-read your posts. And then it hit me... duh! I opened a 4x6 300 res. file, but cropped the photo to 3x2 300 res. with the custom crop feature (which I didn't even realize was up there... thanks Mike!), then dropped that into the 4x6 file. It does not stretch to fill the space.. stays the size I want it to and holds the integrity of the photo! HAPPY, HAPPY, JOY, JOY!!! It's the 300 resolution that made the big difference, Frank... cause when I did this before, both the photo and the document was 72. HUGE difference! The photo center at WM closed at 8:00, but I'm pretty confident that it's going to print well this time! If not, you might be hearing from me again! Cross your fingers!
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP EVERYONE!
XOXO
~foxxbat2k
Old March 4th, 2010, 11:19 AM
New Forum User

Resizing

I have a related problem. I've just switched from regular Photoshop to Photoshop Elements 8, and I'm trying to resize some photos that are too large for internet use. When I change inches, the dpi goes up (I just want 72). When I change dpi, the inches go up.
How can I get them all to go down? Thank you.

Tags
pixelated, pse5, resize, shrink