Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old February 28th, 2010, 07:15 PM
New Forum User

Angry Printer prints purple HELP please!

I am going crazy. I have Photoshop Elements 7 with a Canon PIXMA MP620, Using Kodak glossy paper as I live in a small town and that is the only paper available besides HP or Epson. Color settings in photoshop is set to: Optimize for printing.

No matter what settings I use in photoshop elements or print preferences, pictures of trees come out purple..even when the pictures are black and white. I read up on purple fringing, but that shouldn't matter if I print in black and white, should it??? The photos of the trees: one is photos of heavy frost on the trees and the other is a photo of ice on the trees after a bad ice storm.

Other colors seem to come out perfectly as on my monitor, so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Please help me! I am seriously ready to cry as I have tried every setting under the moon. If someone could please help me I would be so grateful!

Judy
Old February 28th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Judy, the trees printing purple can be caused by your yellow ink not printing properly.
As far as the b&w, did you convert them to grayscale or are you letting the printer convert?
Can you print any photo correctly, or do you have problems with all photos you print?
I have a Canon printer, and for a time I used Staples paper and ink with very good results.
Old March 1st, 2010, 04:46 AM
Casual Forum User

Hi Judy,

It seems your MP620 is using the same inkset as my iP4600 (PG220 and CLI221 set). I'm using PSE 8 on Vista 64bit.
One thing : I've never had good results, that means good enough for perfectionist Ron, with Kodak paper, so I use different brands.
(FWIW: I use Olmec Photo Gloss 260gms, Canon Photo Paper Pro, Epson Premium Photo Paper SemiGloss, but all equipment in the chain is calibrated and profiled.)

Anyway, let's see to get you started.

In PSE 7 you have set PSE to let it manage colours while printing?
If not, do so by opening a picture in PSE, you then choose File > Print... , in the Print dialog that comes up select your printer, in Printer Settings click Change settings and in the Change Settings dialog choose the right options: in Paper type I would select Glossy Photo Paper. I don't know which Kodak Gloss paper you're using, you didn't mention, so that's why I opted for Glossy Photo Paper.

Next click the Advanced settings button: the Properties of your choosen printer open up.
At the Color/Intensity section tick the Manual radiobutton and then click the 'Set...' button : on the tab Color Matching set all sliders to zero, next on the tab Matching (and here it get's important to have the right setting selected) in the Color Rendition section, click 'None'. Click OK. Back in the Printer properties click OK again, unless you're printing Black and White: in that case also tick the Grayscale Printing box and then click OK..

This way you have set PSE to let it manage the colors and not the printer.

Now close the Change Settings dialog by clicking OK.
Back in PSE's Print dialog click the 'More Options...' button at the lower left.
In the More Options dialog at the left column, click Color Management.

Now set the following: Color Handling: PhotoShop Elements manages colors.
Image space: I don't know if your image comes with any profile, however assuming you took a picture with your camera it would probably be sRGB or maybe aRGB. Let's select sRGB IEC 61966-2.1 for now or correct this if you know what profile your picture comes with, if any.

Next: select the right Printer profile. Click that button and put your mouse cursor on the first one it shows in there and now watch it: there's a bug in PSE 7 and 8 which shows by the fact not all printer profiles are shown in here because the scroll bar is not been shown to the user. Now leaving the first profile under your mouse cursor (dont click, the profile will be shown with a black background) just hit the down arrow on your keyboard and watch the screen. You'll see the other profiles getting shown to you ... isn't that nice! They tried to hide from you but now they don't have a chance! Now with the down arrow set it to the GL2 setting for your MP620 printer and then click it with the mouse. (you may also try one of the PR settings with the lowest number next to it, and see if that gives a better result)

Next, for the Rendering Intent select Perceptual to start with.

You also will see this: 'Did you remember to disable color management in the printer preferences dialog'? Well, you may remember we did that above.
If you want to, hit the 'Printer Preferences...' button to check this: Color/Intensity > Manual > Set > tab Matching = None. If you trust your self enough just leave that 'Printer Preferences...' button alone and hit OK. Next hit the 'Print...' button . There may be coming up another little dialog from PSE to warn you about a not optimal DPI setting, just ignore that for now. You're just trying the options and you are aiming for a good color reproduction, don't let this dialog disturb you now because right now it isn't important.

Sooo, that's it for now.

And a little tip Judy: set the printing size to something little, not a full A4 or something like that because in that case you're just wasting ink and ink is not cheap.
To be able to inspect the color reproduction on the paper with your printer a little printed image is enough. We don't need to spoon feed those printer manufacturers with our hard earned dollars, do we?

Another tip: you can get other brands/types of paper online, that's what I'm doing all the time. Once I have a paper I want I go online and order what I need.

Then I've read this:
Quote:
No matter what settings I use in photoshop elements or print preferences, pictures of trees come out purple..even when the pictures are black and white. I read up on purple fringing ...
Purple fringing is something else than a picture being purplish printed. Purple fringing is also known as Chromatic Aberation aka CA, which reveals itself in pictures in high contrast scenes, for ex. a couple of branches of trees showing a colored border around them.

Now let us know if it prints any better. Remember when printing B/W set the Printer options to Grayscale printing.

There are other ways leading to Rome (done that, been there before I entered the calibrate and profile scene) which can also get you acceptabe results, but let's just start with the one above and see what it does in your case. BTW: it all depends on the paper you're using.
I've written down the right settings for color and B/W for my iP4600 on a chart, that is the setings before I started with the calibrating/profiling business. So I can just take that chart out and have a look what settings I need.
Old March 1st, 2010, 12:16 PM
New Forum User

Frank, Ron

Thank you so much for your replies. Ron, I will report back tonight after work after I use your settings. Thanks so much for your detailed reply.

Judy
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:54 PM
New Forum User

Ron

Tried your settings with no luck. Also tried every canon profile listed to no avail.

These are my settings:
Color management:
Color handling: Photoshop manages colors
Source space: sRGB...2.1
Printer profile: Canon MP620 Series GL2/52G
Rendering: Perpectual

Media Type: Glossy Photo paper
Print quality: standard
Effects: borderless

Printer Preferences:
Color Intensity: manual-set-everything is 0-matching:none

I am using Kodak glossy paper and I am using that setting. I am printing a digital scrapbook page with color. I used black and white pictures in the page trying to get rid of the purple trees, so it shouldn't be printing any color at all in the photos, but the limbs are still purple.

Under color settings in PSE I have checked "optimize for printing".

I am off to the store to pick up another package of photo paper..maybe HP or Epson will be better (I think those are the other 2 choices in the store)

Will check back in after I try the other papers
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:24 PM
Casual Forum User

Still no luck ?
OK, I saw your reply. Don't hurry Judy, take your time because I'm about to hit the sack: 01.30AM here. However, tomorrow I'll see what you came up with. I don't think any of the HP papers will suffice, maybe they have the Epson I use ? (Epson Premium Photo Paper SemiGloss, 251 gms)

And change this one:
Print quality: standard
to
Print quality: high

BTW: how are the other colors coming out? Still perfectly like you posted above?

One other question Judy:you're speaking about trees being printed 'purplish', is that more blue or more cyan?
If it all fails, you could try the below: ('Printer Preferences...' > Color/Intensity > Manual > Set > tab Color Adjustment)
If Blue: increase Yellow or decrease Cyan and Magenta,
If Cyan: increase Yellow and Magenta or decrease Cyan.

Last edited by RonOly; March 1st, 2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:38 PM
New Forum User

Ron

My only choice at the store was HP advanced photo paper(50 sheets for $24) twice what the Kodak cost LOL or HP everyday for $10. I got the advanced paper for $24..not taking any chances.

But.....Holy Crap! The print preview showed the paper turned yellow, but I stayed the course and printed it anyway. What a difference! The purple cast was gone and all is well now. I didn't realize how bad the purple cast was-I thought it was only the trees, but all the black areas had the purple cast.

I was ready to throw the darn printer out the window and myself also. I would have driven myself mad trying all the different color combinations without your help. The more I researched, the more confused I got. You are my savior! You have no idea how grateful I am .

Sweet dreams

Judy
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:50 PM
Casual Forum User

Ahhhhhh, that Print Preview box in the driver, yep: I don't rely on it because it not always shows the true result.

Glad the problem is solved, however I'm wondering why the HP Advanced Photo Paper is giving the better results? This result I did not expect to happen, changing the paper yes, but NOT to HP Advanced Photo Paper. Maybe gremlins in the printer?

Anyway Judy, enjoy it and happy printing!

Last edited by RonOly; March 2nd, 2010 at 07:29 AM. Reason: edited the wording a bit
Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:51 PM
New Forum User

I have just come upon this thread and it helped solved my printing problem with B&W perfectly. I have a Pixma iP 4500 (5600 in UK I believe). I think part of my problem was a change to Ilford Galerie Classic Gloss paper although have had excellent results from Ilford paper in the past. But it produced the same purple tint as described. I have always made PSE manage the printing and use paper profiles. Switching back to Canon Paper plus Glossy and or Canon Pro solved my problem.
Old March 24th, 2010, 04:12 AM
New Forum User

Hi,
I know this is a little late ,but I had a very similar prob a few days ago,checked all m printer settings,and yet all my black was purple,my hubby had bought me some alternative ink to my very expensive cannon cartridges,and I have to say they printed fine,I have allways changed my settings for the paper I am printing on,and have a colour callibrator(spyder)for my screen,my prob turned out to be the alternative ink was blocking my nozzle head,and after discarding the altenative cheaper ink,and performing 3 deep cleans the world is wonderfull again.
Glad to hear your' prob is sorted too.