Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old January 4th, 2010, 12:19 PM
New Forum User

Best Photo Size and Format for Creating a Slide Show

HI! I am really happy to have found this forum! I have a few questions, probably the first few of many.

1. I have a lot of photos in .jpeg format from vacation. They are all 2 MB or larger. I want to create some slide shows using Elements 8 and don't have a clue what size or format would be best. Most of the slides will require some editing anyway because there was a speck of dirt somewhere inside the camera.

2. I also have some short videos from a Sony Hi Def HandyCam that I would like to incorporate. Is this possible. If so, what format do I need? Unfortunately, it seems like the Sony format is theirs and theirs alone.

Thanks in advance.

Bev
Old January 4th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Bev

If you want your slideshow on a DVD disc that you can play on the TV via the TV/DVD Player, you want to get your slideshow in DVD-VIDEO format (standard or widescreen) on a DVD disc. The standardized format for either standard or widescreen includes a frame size of 720 x 480 pixels. So, you do not want your source photos to exceed 1000 x 750 pixels. Oversized photos are the major cause of slideshow failures. Resizing may be necessary. You can go batch resizing with Photoshop Elements or Photoshop. Recommend batch resize landscape oriented photos separate from portrait oriented ones.
What is the model of your Sony camcorder, I will look to see what the video audio formats are.

You say that you have Elements 8. Does that mean Photoshop Elements 8 or Premiere Elements 8 or both? If you have only Photoshop Elements 8, you are going to need additional software to get that Photoshop Elements 8 slideshow burned to a DVD disc. Premiere Elements 8 is integrated for that purpose. But, there are other possibilities if you do not have Premiere Elements 8.

Top of the list is to make sure that your computer resources can do the job, your computer is optimized and defragmented frequently.

Let us start here. There are lots of posts on this topic in these forums for your to check out, but, if necessary we can customize a response to fit your specific situation.

ATR
Old January 5th, 2010, 04:03 AM
New Forum User

Thanks!! I didn't know you could do a batch resize!! I'm already way ahead!

The camcorder is a Sony HDR-CX100.

I do want to burn DVDs for TV as well as set up an on-line album. I only have Elements 8. The computer should be up to the task. It's brand new, and not loaded down with lots of software. I have 8 GB of ram and 600 GB of free hard drive.

I'll keep searching the forums.

Bev
Old January 5th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Bev

The following are some target thoughts for you to check out in determining what works for you.

Batch resizing...Photoshop Elements, see Full Editor/File Menu/Process Multiple Files or Photoshop, see File Menu/Automate/Batch.

Your camcorder appears to be offering Full AVCHD (that uses the video compression MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) 1920 x 1080 (at this time, I am not sure of the frame rate, probably 30 frames per second) AND SD (MPEG-2) (probably standard or widescreen). Which setting have you been using? For starters, SD MPEG-2 Widescreen might be a consideration.

Remember, Photoshop Elements is a photo editor, not video editor.

You are going to need another program to get your Photoshop Elements created slideshow burned to DVD disc as DVD-VIDEO.

Remember, these programs are what are called 32 bit programs and as such run in the 32 bit compatibility mode of a 64 bit system. So, all the limitations of a 32 bit system would apply, for example, of the 8 GB RAM installed, you probably have far less than 4 GB RAM available.

AVCHD is very resource demanding.

ATR