Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old December 11th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Casual Forum User

How do I put two pics side-by-side on one photo?

Hi,

I have PSE 7.0 and need to put two pictures side-by-side to be printed on one photo (one of my husband and son in one to go next to one of our daughter and I).

I am a complete novice. Any help would be so very sincerely appreciated! Basic instructions work best for me.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide! I did find the Photomerge option, but can't figure it out. Is that the way to go?

Sincerely,
Tracy

Last edited by TracyLH; December 11th, 2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Frequent Contributor

Tracy, the easiest way to do this would be to open a new document, making it the size you want the finished product. Drag each photo onto the new document (having done any editing to the photos before doing so), sizing them as needed.

Hope this is what you have in mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Rebel xsi
PSE 8
Windows 7
Old December 11th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Casual Forum User

Like Shar said, Start with the final image and work from there.

File>New>Blank File ... Create the final image size and ppi of the print. You can go under the drop down menu for Sizes and there is one for normal prints sizes under the PreSets. For most labs they like 300 ppi for the resolution but in some cases you can get away with 250 ppi. I am guessing that you might be making an 8x10 but if larger be careful that you don't go too large in case the two images might not stand up to too much enlargement.

With the new image open go ahead and open the other two images. If you are working from the Organizer just select the two images and go to Full Edit. You will need some of the extra tools there. The two images will be in the Bin under the main work area. Just double click on them to open.

Make a copy of the images with the Copy All command of Ctrl A (Command A for mac) then go back to the blank image and paste it there with the Ctrl or Command V key strokes or click and drag the background layer of the image and drop it onto the new image. This will make a copy layer of the image on the blank new image.

Here is where it might get tricky. When you place the new image on the blank image it could be larger than the new image. If this is the case you will have to resize it. Easy way to use the Free transform which is Ctrl or Command T. Be sure to zoom out so that when you do this you can see all the handles. Grab the corner and pull it in till you have the image inside the new blank image.

That is the easy part. Now come the Art Part. If you only want two images on a page you are done. However if you find that the image are smaller than the new blank image you may not want to stretch them out and get that pixelization which comes from small images on a bigger canvas. You can just add a background texture to the bottom background layer then put the two images on an angle so it looks like you placed them on a page. Add a drop shadow or even a frame and you are set.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 11th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Casual Forum User

Thanks so very much, Shar and Bill! My goal is a 4" x 6". I did not even know that you could drag or copy photos. That is how much I need to learn.

Thankyou Bill for your very detailed instructions. I will go over them this weekend step-by-step.
Old December 12th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Casual Forum User

It worked!!! Thankyou Shar and Bill!!
Old December 12th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

So glad to hear of a success story!

Canon Rebel xsi
PSE 8
Windows 7
Old December 12th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Casual Forum User

I couldn't have done it without the kindness of the both of you!

Best wishes to you for a lovely holiday season!
Old July 4th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Casual Forum User

Sorry but another total newbie here
I have two images that I would like to show side by side (to use as a Facebook profile pic)
However, I know they are different sizes but I don't know how to open each one separately to see what size they are.
If they are in the tray below the main window in PSE 9 for Mac how do I measure each one?
I know this is simple and I apologize in advance
Old July 4th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Click on the image thumbnail in the Project Bin. Now the image will be displayed in the main workspace. In the Menu bar go to Image>Resize>Image Size. This will bring up a dialog box displaying the dimensions of your image.

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." -- Mark Twain
Old July 4th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Casual Forum User

Thank you Sepiana
It worked!
I am going to try to post the image here but I don't know if that is allowed.
I am VERY excited
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Combined Nash and DM copy.jpg (19.4 KB, 28 views)