Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old November 9th, 2009, 11:56 PM
New Forum User

Costco Photo Center Poster Question

Hi,
I'm starting a photo collage that will contain approx. 50 photos and plan to have a 20" x 30" poster printed by Costco.

My question is: Should I expect to have some of the edges cropped off from my original image?
I've had small prints (5x7 and 8x10) printed by them and had unexpected cropping going on.

Has anyone had a poster done by Costco?

Should I keep my images away from the edges to keep them from being cropped off?

Is a 20" x 30" background canvas the proper size to start with?

Thank you for your help.
I'll be checking back tomorrow evening

Scott
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Casual Forum User

I have done the 16 x 20 poster with no cropping. The trick is to start your project in the size you plan on printing and keeping things in that space. When you upload the poster, it will fit right in the Costco space.

I'm not at home with PSE7 runnning but if I recall correctly you select new picture (maybe project) and specify the size and dpi (I think you also have to select pixels or inches) that you want. In my case it was 16 x 20 and 300 dpi based on inches.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 10th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Frequent Contributor

Scott, are you uploading your file to be done at a local Costco? Will it be printed on their Epson 7800/7880? If the Costco is local, it would be advisable that you go in and talk to them about "bleed" dimensions so that you can set your file up accordingly.
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

When my Costco printed my 16x20 on poster board, they shrunk the image and left 1/2" white borders all around. When I questioned about the borders, I was told it was mandatory.

At least nothing was cropped out.

I ended up getting a frame that covers about 3/8" of the edges, anyway.

"I'm trying to think but nothing happens" - Jerome Horwitz
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Casual Forum User

Now that you mention that, there was a white border around the edge. Since the border was there, the must have shrunk the picture slightly.

The quality is pretty darn good for $6. A couple of the boys on the football team have gotten them and have really liked them.

Old November 10th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have recently had two 20" by 30" posters done at Costco. They came out great!! If you have used Elements or Photoshop to edit your photos, remember to tell them not to color correct when making your poster. If your poster is landscape in orientation, there will be considerable cropping on the top and bottom long sides. That is if you are starting with an 8" by 10". Starting with a 10" by 15" should work, I think. I agree with Ric that asking is the best bet. Good luck with your prints.

iMac, OS Mavericks, PSE10, Fujifilm FinePix S700, Canon Rebel T1i

Old November 10th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Known Forum User

20x30 prints

Whenever I do a large poster I always print a small one in the same aspect ratio to see what the composition looks like. So a 4x6, or 8x12 should show you a close approximation of your 20 x 30 final poster with the same crop ratio Note that a 5x7 or an 8x10 would crop your intended image.

Old November 10th, 2009, 08:45 PM
New Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric Cisson View Post
Scott, are you uploading your file to be done at a local Costco? Will it be printed on their Epson 7800/7880? If the Costco is local, it would be advisable that you go in and talk to them about "bleed" dimensions so that you can set your file up accordingly.
I can either put the file on a CD and walk in with it or upload using the internet.
I'm not sure what they use to print their posters with. It seems that the poster printing is not done in-house because they mail you the printed poster.
That's great advice to walk in and ask

Thank you to the others for sharing your experiences with getting a poster printed.
The aspect ratio is a great tip to avoid unwanted cropping!
I can live with a white border because I plan on framing the project.

Thanks again!
Scott
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Casual Forum User

It may not be the same everywhere, but the Costco I go to prints right in store. I upload them at night and walk across the street at lunch and pick them up.

I haven't tried one yet, but you do have to walk in to order the poster sizes on a backed board.

Old November 10th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Frequent Contributor

Not all Costco stores have incorporated an Epson 7800 or 7880 into their instore capabilities. I was told that they were supposed to have one in every store by end of 1st QTR 2010. In the meantime, those that are outsourced from local store, usually go to local district hub for printing on either a Lightjet or Llamda wide foremat printer system, which is a wet system, or if they have updated district hubs with 7880, which is "dry" system. Wet systems have a significant bleed factor as opposed to Epson printers, so that is why I suggest have a talk with your local Costco technicians and ask them for necessary info. It is always a good idea to get to know the people you will be working with at the lab.

Bob; I did test backed board product recently at my local Costco. Print was very acceptable, mounting was somewhat disappointing, as I discovered a pocket of air near the center of the print/mount combination. It was not very noticable initially, in fact I did not see it until I turned it just so in the light and I then noticed a very tiny rise. (Some things never leave you, such as QC) I suspect inattention on the part of the technician. I had them do the order over again. Picked up the next day and all was good to go.