Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old September 21st, 2009, 11:35 AM
New Forum User

Send a message via Yahoo to cindy.gale
Silhouette/Outline of people in photo needed to identify

Hello - I have some family reunion photos that I'd like to duplicate as outlines/silhouettes.

The photos have several people, all at various heights, etc and I want their outline/silhouette to either label a number on the outline/silhouette for reference to their name, relation, location, etc. or to put their info on their outline/silhouette.

I've attempted to make a selection around the people - but come into problems when they're grouped too tightly together to get a shape/outline of individuals. Do you have any advice of how to go about this in an easier/more efficient way? Any help would be appreciated!

Canon Powershot; Nikon D70; PSE 7; Win XP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 21st, 2009, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Cindy,

(I wonder if we're related... )

Here's one way that worked fairly simply, for me.

Starting with the image on the top, I clicked Filter > Stylize > Find Edges, then desaturated the sketchy-looking result.

I used the Brush tool, with a hard edge, and painted white over everyone's face. I went back with the Pencil tool in black and fixed up any important lines that were weak, or that I messed up with the Brush.

Then I used the Type tool to add the numbers. The lower image is my result after about 5 minutes.

(I got this image from a Google search for "group of people", so I added the blurs to their faces since this is not my image)

I'm sure you will hear from others with better methods.

Byron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I'm trying to think but nothing happens" - Jerome Horwitz
Old September 21st, 2009, 03:20 PM
New Forum User

Send a message via Yahoo to cindy.gale
Thank you Byron! I had something similar after working a bit - but brushing the faces white and adding the pencil tool helped make it better! I appreciate your quick answer and help. I've set up a mock-up for my family to review for accuracy on a few pics already. This helped a lot!!!

PS: Doubtful if related, as Gale is my middle name - but I'd claim ya as a relative! :-)

Canon Powershot; Nikon D70; PSE 7; Win XP