Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old July 31st, 2009, 12:43 PM
New Forum User

How to change the color of a frame

Hi there, does anyone know if it's possible to change the color of the preset frames? I have PSE7 and know they have many choices but not the color I want for a baby announcement I'm working on. Thanks for any help!!
Old July 31st, 2009, 04:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Trenda610, in PSE 7, when you create the "preset frame" on an exiting image in the Editor, is the frame "attaching itself" to your image layer (incorporates your image and frame together in single layer as opposed to giving you a new layer with the frame), and does the layer thumbnail in the layers panel have a little + sign in the corner?

If not, pleaase describe what you mean by a "preset frame" and perhaps someone can offer a suggestion.

Jeff
Old July 31st, 2009, 04:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Trenda,

I'm assuming your talking about the frames in the Create > Artwork palette. In order to recolor a frame, you have to simplify it first because the frames are smart objects. If you add a photo to the frame first, and then try to recolor it, it will color the photo too.

I don't use these, so I'm winging it here, but this method should work, hopefully.

Add the frame to your canvas, size it, then go back to the Full Edit tab and simplify it by right clicking on the frame layer in the layers palette, and selecting Simplify. Now it is no longer a smart object.

Pick your color by clicking on the Foreground color chip and selecting from the color picker.

Get the Hue/Saturation dialog from the menu: Enhance >Adjust Color>Adjust Hue/Sat, or by simply pressing Ctrl-U.

In the H/S dialog, click the Colorize box, then if you desire it more or less saturated or lighter/darker, drag the sliders until you get what looks good to you and click OK.

Open the photo you want to put inside the frame and with that photo active in the workspace, press Ctrl-A to select all, then Ctrl-C to copy.

Now make the frame image active in the workspace. Select the Magic Wand tool and click in the center of the frame to select the background which should give you the "marching ants."

Select the Move tool, then from the menu: Edit > Paste into Selection. You'll get the bounding box (if not, make sure Show Bounding Box is checked in the options bar at the top). Adjust the size and position of your photo to fit the frame. Then press Ctrl-D to deselect.

Or, instead of using Paste Into, you can, after selecting the background, press the Delete key to delete the background, then add your photo in a layer beneath the frame.

Here's an example I did, making the pink heart frame green:

Hope this helps.

Diana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Itís not happy people who are thankful, itís thankful people who are happy.

~ Canon 5D Mark II ~ Canon Rebel XTi ~ EF70-200 f/2.8L ~ EF85 f/1.8 ~ EF24-70 f/2.8 ~ EF 24-105 f4 L IS ~ EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon PowerShot S95 ~ Canon PowerShot SX50 HS ~ Windows 7 ~ PSE 11 & 12 ~ PS CC ~ Lightroom5 ~ Pro Show Producer ~ Corel Painter X ~ Printers: Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II, HP Deskjet 882C, HP LaserJet 1200 ~
Old August 1st, 2009, 06:50 AM
New Forum User

Thank you Diana, I tried your suggestion and it sort of worked for me. Unfortunately, when I simplify the frame, I take away it's really cool features for fitting the photograph nicely and resizing and moving it around. And, you're right Diana-if you don't simplify it, it colors the photograph too which I tried also. I use these all the time for announcements that I make (I tried to attach a sample but not sure if it worked). Before I discovered these frames I used to just create a rectangle and put the picture over it but then I would have to crop the picture to the size I wanted first (and it never was exactly right the first time) and then make the rectangle/square the right size with an even border all around it, etc-it just took more time than I have.

And, yes Jeff the layer does have the little plus sign and the frame and the photograph become one layer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg christa 1.jpg (88.0 KB, 8 views)
Old August 1st, 2009, 11:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Tenda, here is how to do it without simplifying...

1) Open a blank (New) file of the size you need, e.g., 8X10.

2) Pick the frame you like and hit Apply, converting your white background layer into a "Frame Layer".

3) As Diana suggested, add a new Hue Saturation Adjustment Layer above the frame layer, and adjust the colors as you like. At this point the adjustment layer would also affect the image inside the frame. We'll fix that next.

4) Click on the layer mask thumbnail on the H/S adjustment layer.

5) Select the Magic Wand (W) tool and click on the white area inside the frame, selecting it (see the marching ants?) while actually working on the mask.

6) Now go to Edit>Fill Selection, and choose Black. You will see a black area appear in the center of the mask thumbnail, indicating the area that the Hue/Sat adjustments will NOT be applied to (White reveals and Black conceals). This now "protects" the interior of frame (where your image will be) from being affected by the Hue/Sat adjustments.

7) Hit Escape to deselect.

8) Select the Move tool (V) and right click inside the frame.

9) At this point you have two options, 1) select "Replace Photo" which will allow you to pick a new photo to replace for the existing "white" image in the middle, or 2) "Clear Photo" (Note: NOT "Clear Frame") which will give you a temporary gray background with "Click Here to Add Photo..." instructions, essentially creating a reusable template.

This technique should work on any shape of frame, even the odd shaped curved ones and the seashell one, because the Magic Wand will be used only on the white temporary "image".

Hope this helps. Post back if I missed something.

Jeff
Old August 1st, 2009, 11:52 AM
Senior Contributor

How precious, Trenda, and a beautiful presentation of the announcement.

Have you tried just using a stroke on your images? The example you posted looks like a stroke was applied. The stroke is added to your image (or preferably on a layer above your image) after the image is cropped and resized. Then should you decide to resize it after the stroke is applied, just link the stroke and image layers together and resize as one. A stroke can be any color you choose. I'm sure you already know how to do a stroke... make a selection around the edge with Ctrl-A, then from the menu: Edit > Stroke (Outline) selection.

Another great idea is to create your frame as a clipping mask and then grouping the two layers. Here's a thread with instructions for making a decorative frame clipping mask.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forum...ad.php?t=48909

To use a clipping mask, the photo goes in a layer above the CM. Resize the photo to cover the whole CM, then with the photo layer active, press Ctrl-G to group them. This, basically, non-destructively crops the photo to the shape of the clipping mask.

Once you group your photo with the clipping mask, the decorative edges are transparent, then you just add a blank layer beneath and fill it with any color you desire.

I just played with one a bit here as an example (nothing too great):

Great work-around, Jeff!

Diana

Itís not happy people who are thankful, itís thankful people who are happy.

~ Canon 5D Mark II ~ Canon Rebel XTi ~ EF70-200 f/2.8L ~ EF85 f/1.8 ~ EF24-70 f/2.8 ~ EF 24-105 f4 L IS ~ EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon PowerShot S95 ~ Canon PowerShot SX50 HS ~ Windows 7 ~ PSE 11 & 12 ~ PS CC ~ Lightroom5 ~ Pro Show Producer ~ Corel Painter X ~ Printers: Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II, HP Deskjet 882C, HP LaserJet 1200 ~
Old August 2nd, 2009, 08:50 AM
Frequent Contributor

Arrow

Thank you for this. I did wonder how it could be done
Sue

Nikon D80/Canon Ixus/PSE5/PSE7/LIGHTROOM2/PE3/Blackcat Cougar 15"

God must love stupid people-He made so many of them