Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old July 24th, 2009, 12:37 PM
New Forum User

How do I make the sky more blue?

I would like to know how to make the sky more blue in my photos. Thanks!

Lu
Old July 24th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Known Forum User

First duplicate your image- Ctrl J. Make a selection of the sky using one of the selection tools. Then go to "Enhance">Adjust color>choose saturation and select "blue" and move the saturation slider to the right until you like the color. Hope this helps.

"Never give up."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 24th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Here's another method, Lu, which sometimes works, depending how much color is in the sky to begin with - you have to have some blue in the sky to begin with in order to make it more blue (gray just doesn't do it):

Graduated Neutral Density Filter Effect:
Create a new blank layer above the background layer
Make sure color chips are Foreground-Black Background-White
Use Linear Gradient tool - Foreground to Transparent gradient
Shift-Drag from the top of the image down to where the sky ends
Change the Blend Mode to Soft Light
Erase any areas you don't want affected

Here's a before/after animation of one I did as an example:

Diana

Itís not happy people who are thankful, itís thankful people who are happy.

~ Canon 5D Mark II ~ Canon Rebel XTi ~ EF70-200 f/2.8L ~ EF85 f/1.8 ~ EF24-70 f/2.8 ~ EF 24-105 f4 L IS ~ EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon PowerShot S95 ~ Canon PowerShot SX50 HS ~ Windows 7 ~ PSE 11 & 12 ~ PS CC ~ Lightroom5 ~ Pro Show Producer ~ Corel Painter X ~ Printers: Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II, HP Deskjet 882C, HP LaserJet 1200 ~
Old July 24th, 2009, 03:31 PM
New Forum User

Thanks Charlotte and Diana...Diana, I've used your method but I couldn 't figure out how to erase the blue sky from the trees...I am a newbie...so how do you erase the blue from the parts you don't want to be blue?...I've never used the eraser tool before. Thanks!

Lu
Old July 24th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Lu,

First, you look in your layers palette and make sure the gradient layer is the layer that's active.... it will be the layer highlighted.

Next, select the Eraser tool and in the options bar at the top of the workspace, click the drop-down arrow beside the graphic of the brushstroke to open the brush palette.

After "Brushes" it should say Default... if it doesn't, click the drop-down there and find the default brushes (its the first one listed). In the grid of brushes available (the brush-picker), choose one that looks like it has soft, or blurry, edges - those are soft-edged brushes that will erase with a feathered edge.

You can adjust the size of your brush with the slider in the options bar, or by pressing the left bracket key (on the keyboard) for smaller or right bracket key for larger... these... [ ].

Then all you have to do is hold your left mouse button down and drag it over the image in the areas that need the gradient erased from the trees, or whatever. You may need to resize your brush smaller to erase in tighter areas.

You can view before and after by clicking on the eye beside the gradient layer to toggle it off and on... that helps you see where you may need to erase where you have missed.

Hope this helps.

Diana

Itís not happy people who are thankful, itís thankful people who are happy.

~ Canon 5D Mark II ~ Canon Rebel XTi ~ EF70-200 f/2.8L ~ EF85 f/1.8 ~ EF24-70 f/2.8 ~ EF 24-105 f4 L IS ~ EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon PowerShot S95 ~ Canon PowerShot SX50 HS ~ Windows 7 ~ PSE 11 & 12 ~ PS CC ~ Lightroom5 ~ Pro Show Producer ~ Corel Painter X ~ Printers: Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II, HP Deskjet 882C, HP LaserJet 1200 ~