Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old July 4th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Casual Forum User

How do I add a border to an image?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I am trying to lear how to use PSE 6.0. I have been using Paint Shop Pro and the changeover hasn't been easy for me.

Simply put, how do I add a border around my image 4 pixels wide and solid black? Note: Sometimes I change the width and color, but mostly stick with black.

In PSP, it is real easy to do:
Click Image, add border, select the width and color and click OK. Pretty simple, huh?

I can't figure out how to do that in PSE 6.0
Appreciate your help and advice.

Here's an example of what the finished product should look like.
Mike

Old July 4th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Mike, select the image with the Rectangular marquee tool and add a 4 pixel black stroke. You can add the stroke to the inside, center or outside of the photo.
To select. Position the curser in the upper left corner of the photo and drag down to the lower right corner, thereby creating a marching ants around the perimeter of the photo. Then apply the stroke. I think the stroke command in under Edit, not sure since I'm on a mac with CS2.

You can change the stroke color if you wish to any color you want.

You image looks like it already has a stroke added to it.
Old July 4th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Ctrl A will give you the marching ants around your image.
Then go to Edit, stroke,
pick you pixel size and choose inside.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~kimi~

Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

shoots a Nikon D800.
Old July 4th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Senior Contributor

If you prefer to do it without covering edges of the picture then resizing the canvas is another option. Go to image>resize>resize canvas. Make sure relative is checked and the center box of the square is marked. Choose black for the color.

Old July 4th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Another way to do it without covering the image is to use the crop tool. Make sure your background colour is set to black, select the entire image using the crop tool, then use the little square handles/arrow tools to enlarge the selection/nudge it, when you click on the green check mark you will have a black border all the way round.

Bayla

and

Old July 5th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Casual Forum User

Thanks Frank and Kimi
Ctrl-A to select the image, Edit, Stroke, select width, position , color.
That'll do it for me.
Mike
Old July 5th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Mike... you will learn, there are lots of ways to accomplish the exact same thing.

~kimi~

Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

shoots a Nikon D800.