Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old June 14th, 2009, 07:08 AM
New Forum User

Unhappy Opening layer sets in PSE7

Hi folks,

Basically I'm looking for an action / effect/ plugin / tool / whatever will enable me to open and edit layer sets in Photoshop Elements 7.

Or a *detailed* guide on how to create these actions using Photoshop 7 (or CS4 trial), and install them into Photoshop Elements 7 on Windows Vista.

So far I have found an effects/actions pack called elements+ that offers actions for opening and closing layer sets:
http://simplephotoshop.com/elementsplus/
http://simplephotoshop.com/elementsplus/en_US/group.htm
http://simplephotoshop.com/elementsp...US/ungroup.htm

However, I really don't want to *buy* and install this entire set just for the two actions I need!

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,
- DC

Last edited by dconsc; June 14th, 2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old June 14th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi ...

.. and welcome to the Village

You would have to write the action in CS4 as Elements doesn't have the capabilities of writing actions. So you would need to open up the file in CS4, start recording the action, ungroup the layer etc, stop the action and then save it.

Next you would need to add the action to Elements and test that it works OK ... it actually is pretty simple to write the action but more difficult making sure that it will work in Elements.

Wendy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"

Old June 14th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconsc View Post
So far I have found an effects/actions pack called elements+ that offers actions for opening and closing layer sets:
http://simplephotoshop.com/elementsplus/
http://simplephotoshop.com/elementsplus/en_US/group.htm
http://simplephotoshop.com/elementsp...US/ungroup.htm

However, I really don't want to *buy* and install this entire set just for the two actions I need!
DC,

I have purchased the full set of Elements+ and have found well worth the price. I have been able to many things on PSE that could only be done on PS. You can do more than grouping and un-grouping Layer Sets, you can add Smart Objects, Smart Filters, to name a few. I think you should purchase it.

;

;

Photoshop Elements 8 and 9 / Photoshop CS4/5 / Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 / Picasa / Toshiba Satellite / Windows XP
Kodak Z650 / Kodak Professional 1400 Digital Photo Printer / Canon MX870 Printer
Canon XSi and Canon T3i
Old June 14th, 2009, 11:35 AM
New Forum User

Thanks for the recommendation JJ, I might buy it later down the line if/when I need any of the other features it offers, but it's good to know that it works!

Hi Wendy, and thanks. Yeah, I've now got as far as writing the actions in CS4 and "saving" them as .atn files, but I can't get them into Elements at all.

I have been using this article to create my .atn files, but the steps for installing them into PSE6 don't work for PSE7 (on vista):
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pse...qt/actions.htm

The other option was to follow the instructions for installing them into PSE7 on the action player (i'd rather not though, because I want my actions to show up in the "effects" panel). But I tried it anyway, and the instructions for that didn't work either. The link for that is here:
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pse...tipspse7_5.htm

Anyone have any ideas?
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:18 PM
New Forum User

Update

Ok, so now I've managed to create actions in CS4 and save them as .atn files (with thumbnails) using the guides I linked to in my previous posts, and now I have successfully managed to import them into PSE7 using the steps given here:
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pse...ermasktool.htm

But... only one action works (I made a "group" and an "ungroup" action). I can now create groups! And PSE lets me drag layers into them! But when i click my action to "ungroup" it gives me a message saying that this is not supported. Ugh, the most important thing for me really was to be able to get layers out of existing groups.

So... now I need to create an action that does this without using the "ungroup layers" function (in CS4, layers menu > ungroup layers). Does anyone know a fool-proof way of doing this?

Or any links to a working ungroup action for PSE7?

So close...
Old June 14th, 2009, 04:45 PM
New Forum User

SOLVED!

It's taken me all damn day, but I've managed to make an action (effect) for opening layer sets (groups) in Photoshop Elements 7! ...and another one for making layer sets, just because I could.

Here's how I did it (well, more of a tutorial for how TO do it):

Code:
Create actions:

- open a new document in Photoshop CS4

- open the "actions" panel (window > actions)

- create a new actions set

- create one new action in that set only

- export that set as a .atn file using "save actions"

- create a thumbnail for the action (64x64px PNG)

- ensure the .png and .atn have the same name as the action

Installing them:

- place .atn and .png files into this folder:
   [VISTA] C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\7.0\Photo Creations\photo effects
   [WINXP] C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\7.0\Photo Creations\photo effects

- remove the "MediaDatabase.db3" from this folder:
   [VISTA] C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\7.0\Locale\en_US
   [WINXP] C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\7.0\Locale\en_US

- run Photoshop Elements 7 and select the image editor

- Wait for the database to rebuild slowly (10-20mins)
   Note: windows might tell you photoshop is not responding, but leave it be, it's still working.

- The new actions should now be available in the effects panel (photo effects > show all)
I've attached a ZIP folder to this post with my actions in for working with layer-groups. Hopefully this will save other people from having the same headache. I've added a a short readme file in the zip with installation instructions too. Enjoy

DC
Attached Files
File Type: zip AA-LayerGroupTools.zip (7.9 KB, 1185 views)

Last edited by dconsc; June 14th, 2009 at 04:46 PM. Reason: tidy
Old June 14th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Great job DC! Glad you got it to work. Thanks for sharing the actions you created as well.

;

;

Photoshop Elements 8 and 9 / Photoshop CS4/5 / Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 / Picasa / Toshiba Satellite / Windows XP
Kodak Z650 / Kodak Professional 1400 Digital Photo Printer / Canon MX870 Printer
Canon XSi and Canon T3i
Old July 10th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Casual Forum User

I went to the Elements+ website from the link above and the price is $12.00. Is that correct or is that for the demo? Thanks.
Old July 10th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Known Forum User

$12 buys the full version of elements+. Well worth its modest price.

~ Simenon
Old August 7th, 2009, 03:20 PM
New Forum User

Just thought I'd let it be known that I tried out dconsc's attached files and they do work in Photoshop Elements 6.0 on the Mac.

Installation on the Mac is a little different:

1. Put the files in this folder:
Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > Adobe > Photoshop Elements > 6.0 > Photo Creations > photo effects

2. Then, move this file to the trash:
Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > Adobe > Photoshop Elements > 6.0 > Locale > en_US > MediaDatabase.db3

3. Open Photoshop Elements 6 and wait for it to rebuild the MediaDatabase.db3 file.

4. To use the actions, choose 'Photo Effects' (third button) from the Effects palette, then pull down the category menu and choose 'Show All' from the list. Double-click the Group Layers thumbnail to group the selected layer, then drag additional layers into the group. Double-click the Ungroup Layers thumbnail to remove the layers from the group (this also deletes the group folder itself).

Tags
actions, groups, layers, pse7, sets