Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Photography Discussions > Photography Equipment

Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:06 PM
New Forum User

Jeff, Is there a genuine advantage in having a 24mp camera for the non professional photographer?

I do appreciate the extra 6mp my D90 has over my old D70 as I can crop a bit further if required. I don't think that I will ever print a picture large enough to require the 12mp my D90 has let alone a 24mp sensor. Am I missing something?
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Lou, in my opinion there is no logical reason for a non-pro to have such a "weapon". It is truly a waste (of money and pixel real estate). I had to swallow hard when shelling out the change for the D3, and I am glad I did. But I could never justify the extra cost (of the D3x) for what it buys you. I personally think the Nikon D3x is way over priced. If Nikon comes out with a D700x with the same sensor, at a reasonable upgrade price point, it will nail the casket closed on the D3x.

The +20mp "full-framers" are clearly aimed at the marketing/advertising/studio/fashion pros. In its current incarnation it is not likely to be fast enough for most of the pro sports shooters. In the future, no doubt the speed will improve as the technology advances, buffers get bigger, memory cards faster, EXSPEED processor gets more robust, and while I would love to have a 24mp body, until it is affordable, I can't justify the upgrade.

I'll spend my hard earned money on better glass (and of course better wine).

Jeff
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Known Forum User

Thanks to all of you on your comparisons of these Nikon cameras. I was a bit confused as to what I was going to upgrade to. Now I know that for me, the D90 is what I am going for.

"Never give up."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:42 PM
New Forum User

D90 verses the D5000

Granted the D90 has a few more features, but the sensors are the same and the image processors are the same. The images from both are great. I bought the D5000 because about $300.00 difference and slightly lighter than the D90, and the menus are less complicated.
I used an SLR for years before going digital, but SLRs from the past are no comparison to modern day D SLRs.
I am not a pro and never will be. All I want to do is, make the best photos I am capable of taking at the time. What would I do with more pixels?
The D5000's photos campare to the Canon T1I 15.1 megapixel Consumer model and is lighter. Not just my opinion!
D5000 is a step up for me!
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50. and now Nikon D5000 w/18-55 VR and 55-200 VR lenses.
Still trying to master photography!