Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old December 18th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Casual Forum User

Question OT Thoughts on Canon Rebel

A bit off topic, but I thought a good place to ask all those in "the know"

I've thought about upgrading from my simple point and shoot (Fuji E550 6.3 mp) and was looking at the new Canon Reble XT. Any thoughts on this? Or how about some of the other digital SLR's. I was thinking about this after I was trying to take some pictures at my sons preschool concert. From where I was sitting I could not zoom in decent. (I did not bring my telephoto lense attachment althought I'm not sure how well it would have worked anyway) To far for the flash to make a difference, and the zoom is OK, but not that great.

Keep in mind I a BIG novice. I think most of the time the camera would be on "auto"

So any thoughts? Or should I save my money and stick with p&S?

Many thanks,

Andy
Old December 18th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Andy,

You'll find several users around here have either a Canon Rebel XT, a Canon 10D or Canon 20D. We're all very happy with our camera (I have a 10D with a Powershot A510).

However, if you plan on simply using it on Auto, you'd be spending a lot of money for taking pictures. The fun with a dSLR not only lies in its ability to use interchangeable lenses, but also to let its owner experiment. I have the most fun with the semi-auto modes such as Aperture Priority where I set the aperture to decide the depth of field, the camera adjusts the speed and flash, if needed.

It's ok to start with Auto (I did it a lot!). But I think you'd enjoy learning your new Rebel photography by experimenting with the various other modes.

Ray
Old December 18th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Another necessity, IMO, is a speedlite to go with the Digital Rebel XT; it will work from sitting in the crowd to the stage in most settings -- assuring you of a light enough photo to be able to keep. I bought the 430 EX speedlite and use it in stead of the on camera flash. Not that there is anything wrong with the on camera flash -- I just wanted a greater range for my flash photography.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 18th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Will, I have the 420 Speedlite EX... if it's like yours, the head tilt and swivel.. I shoot all (98%) of indoors shot with the head of the flash bouncing on the ceiling. It does desaturate the pictures a little (sometimes a lot) but a little Hue & Saturation adjustment helps a lot! It have the advantage of completely removing the glowing spot often found in people's face with the flash pointing at them directly.

Last year, I discovered a small plastic cap gadget to put over the 420 to diffuse its light. You tilt its head at 20 to 45 degrees, add the cap, and take a regular picture. It diffuses the light in a manner which makes for almost no white spot on skin. It also softens the shadows. The Subjects look better

Ray
Old December 18th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Casual Forum User

Send a message via AIM to kewTpie
Hey Ray--

Fellow Canon dude!! Help me out here--I want either the XT or 20D. Price is always a consideration....here is what I want to do:
Take wedding pix in low-light situations, take close-up flower shots and all around general "people" pix. I do all the photography at my church, so I already have a 420 Speedlight. I don't want to over-do it, but don't want to cut my self off either. I love my G5, but I want more control over how things are focused, etc. (Hope I'm making some sense).
I understand the 20D is much heavier, and that is probably OK......(I need to go get them side by side in a store, I'm sure, but I want some input as far as to what I really should get)
agghhh--sorry to ramble so much!

Canon Fan:
S30, G5, S410, 350D (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

Pix
Old December 18th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Hello Kristy !

I know little about the 20D and the XT, in terms of usage and functionality. The Finance Minister (my significant other, in other words) has ordered me to stay away from the 20D, either in person or on the web, fearing it would inevitably find its way home if I failed to follow the rules..

However, one difference I know with the XT against the 20D is the ISO setting. I believe the XT is locked at 1600 and the 20D can go as high as 3200 (but with visible noise). Also, the metering is different with the 20D, more precise in terms of how the software scans the image.

I do believe you'd be Ok with an XT. I know I would be, but at the time I bought my 10D, the XT didn't exist (nor did the Rebel Digital for that matter). For macro, you might have to invest in a good macro lens, when the time comes (I got a Sigma macro 50mm. It's a little expensive but a dedicated Macro lens has more to offer than a regular lens.

I'd let actual XT and 20D owners step in. Ladies, Gentlemen, if you'd care to join this thread..

Ray
Old December 18th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to GaryK
Andy

I have the original Digital Rebel and enjoy the control I get. If your fuji has some manual settings try to get the hang of them. It is a big step to go from P&S to DSLR, if you really have no intention on using the features of the DSLR.
Your money may be better spent, getting some other accessories for your present camera.
You really shouldn't need much of a flash for concerts. The reason most go off is because of all the darkness around the stage, not because the subject is too dark.(speaking generally of course)

Sorry if I sound like I am discouraging you, thats not my intention. I just hate to see people throw their hard earned money away.
If you want a new toy with lots of things to play with then go for it I love mine, and would only trade it for Rays, or one of the other higher end models.

Old December 18th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to GaryK
Kristy

I don't think you could go wrong with either camera. I would go to a camera shop and try both..and for a while if you can. Not just a quick look/shoot/ give back. I think the 20D has a more robust body, which, if you will be shooting weddings and stuff, would probably be a good idea.
I wouldn't skimp on the lenses though. See Grants "lens envy" post in the helpful links section. It should help keep you grounded while looking at them.

Old December 18th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Casual Forum User

WOW!

All I have to do is ask!

I'd like to learn all the "bells and whistles" and play. I may look into some "classes" to learn/relearn some of the stuff I once knew. "...A long time a go in a body much youger.." I had a Chinnon CM4 (used Pentex 1000 style)

Fuji has some manual adjustments I should try them and see what happens eh?

Any good books on photo 101???

Thanks,

Andy
Old December 18th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Andy,
I have a Sony 707 and the Rebel XT. I also had a Canon S2 IS which I sold to buy the Rebel. If you are not interested in advanced photography, I would suggest looking at some of the more advanced zoom cameras. A 12x optical zoom is becoming pretty common now and is available on a number of brands. All of them typically use an add-on flash via hotshoe or a slave flash which fires in syc with the on-board flash. They work quite well - at least the one for my Canon S2IS did. I was able to take pictures at a concert from about 25 rows back and the add-on flash was adequate.

Using an SLR is VASTLY different from a simple point and shoot. I also don't want to discourage you but that's a lot of money to waste if you are not committed to learning how to use it. I am - but photography is my hobby/passion in life and I used to shoot 35mm before I switched to point and shoot digital. I only recently became finacially able to afford an SLR due in large part to the prices coming down. Unfortunately, the accessories are quite pricey for SLR's as well.

I would look at the reviews on camera sites to see what people think of the camera you are interested in before you buy it though. They will let you know via their experience what problems a camera has. Don't take it as gospel though, because sometimes as my hubby likes to say "it's not the arrow - it's the indian" (a favorite saying to place blame).
Good Luck!