Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old May 28th, 2009, 05:10 PM
New Forum User

Printer Color Problem

I am using Elements 7.0 and have calibrated my monitory with SpyderExpress.
When I try to print any images to my HP Photosmart 4850 I get weird color results--usually everything is to red. I use adobe color space in Elements, let Elements control color management in the "print" window in the editor. I am printing on HP premium Plus Paper (which I can not find a icc color file for in HP's website). What makes the problem more vexing is that is if I print the same image to my wife's HP C7200 printer using the same paper the resulting print is too yellow. I should add that the image on the screen looks "good" and would be happy if could get anything close to this image. Does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong?
John Hart
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Senior Contributor

John, I assume you have turned Color Management off in the printer dialog.

That being said, since you couldn't find a profile for the HP paper, what paper profile are you using, one that is at least similar (in paper type) to a profile that is installed?

Is this a recent occurrence, or is this the first time using 7 with this printer?

What operating system?

Jeff
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:35 AM
New Forum User

The printer has the color management turned off. I am using PSE 7.0 on a Windows XP machine. The problem has always been there, but it is worse when I ungraded to PSE 7.0. It is also worse since I started using Nik software Sharpen Pro 3.0, however even if I do not use this plug in the reproduction of colors on the two HP printers (HP Photosmart 8450 and HP C7200) do not 1) match the screen and 2) are completely different from each other , the Photosmart being way to warm and the C7200 to cool. I am using HP Premium Plus 4 x 6 Photopaper on both printers and selected that paper in the printer dialog.

John
Old May 29th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Color fidelity

John,

A friend sent me a link to his on-line gallery yesterday, and I downloaded 1 picture. I enhanced it with levels, cropped to 6x4" with resolution=300px/in, sharpened slightly. It printed with an orange cast, clearly not acceptable.
I don't know the native color space of this picture file.

I usually print with the printer set as "same as souce" for the pictures derived via my camera, which are sRGB.

I reset the printer to sRGB IE6 1966-2.1. Now the print came out to match the screen visualization.

Bottom line, some experimentation may help you to find a proper setting for your purpose in this color managed program.

PSE8, WIN7
Old May 29th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Senior Contributor

John....

I'm afraid you're in for a bit of reading on the subject of colour management.

I have something on my web site specifically related to Elements and at a fairly low level.

Biased though I am, I think its worth reading and has helped others here to sort out their problems.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/colin_w...20problems.htm

Colin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 29th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Known Forum User

Colin's homepage is well worth reading. It helped me a lot.

Charlotte

"Never give up."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 29th, 2009, 03:21 PM
New Forum User

I read your web page yesterday while I was researching the problem.. I have a question. The images at the end or the article, can I download those and use them as test pages to see if sRBG works better for me than Adobe RBG. Another question is what is the effect of resolution of the printer. As I have been playing I noticed the the default for the HP Photosmart 8450 is 600 x 600 dpi for photo printing. There is an option to set it to maximum resolution of 1200 x 1200 dpi, but you get a warning that this setting will take exessive disk space and may not work. Will increased resolution give me more acurate color reproduction?
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:06 PM
New Forum User

Hi......I am new to all this pse6/7 and printing stuff, but I had a similar problem last week.......the photos looked good on screen and were printing good... then suddenly they were printing out in red shades, but there was plenty of ink in all 4 color cartridges. I have an Epson.........they suggested I take the ink cartridges out one at a time and reload them into the printer, making sure they clicked into place properly.........bingo!.......photos printed out correctly! Might be worth a try!

Angie
Old May 30th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Senior Contributor

John....

If your images start out as sRGB then converting to AdobeRGB gains you nothing - in fact you could possibly be worse off.

Screens typical have a space close to sRGB - only high end i.e expensive ones have an AdobeRGB space.

Printers have their own unique colour space dependent on printer/paper/inks. Even those that claim an AdobeRGB colour space tend to be a bit generous with the truth. They may reproduce colours out side of the sRGB range but then again can't do all the colours in AdobeRGB.

Starting out I would recommend staying with sRGB until you get reasonable consistency. Notice the word - reasonable.

Because prints are viewed with reflected light they may often appear different than what's on the screen (transmitted light). I view all my prints with a 65K Daylight bulb - which is the same temperature at which my screen is set and they are a very close match

Download the test images by all means and play around.

Printer resolution is often misleading and not the same as Pixel Resolution. Printer manufacturers quote DPI which is the pitch at which the ink drops are sprayed. For example Epson quote 2880 Dots Per Inch.

However, it takes a block of 8 x 8 dots to make an image pixel, so the Pixel Resolution of the Epson printer is really 2880/8 = 360 PPI.

This is the recommended resolution that your image should be for the physical size you are trying to achieve. Any other resolution and the printer has to re-sample the image.

For your HP you have to determine if the 600 figure is really Dots Per Inch of Ink dots or are they actually giving a Pixel resolution.

Increasing resolution really effects the sharpness of the image rather than the colours.

Colin

Old May 30th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Colin

Quote:
However, it takes a block of 8 x 8 dots to make an image pixel, so the Pixel Resolution of the Epson printer is really 2880/8 = 360 PPI.
I own the Epson R1900, so I went to see what dpi Epson states for this product and it says 5760x1440 optimized dpi. I divided that by 8 (72x180) and got confused. LOL How do I figure what the pixel resolution of my printer is?

Although I now print excellent scrapbook pages thanks to your website's valuable information and changing my method of printing to letting Adobe control and using ICC profiles, I often wondered what would be the optimal resolution to print at.

Note: my primary usage of my printer is for printing digi-scrapbook layouts - where the "industry" standard is 300 resolution - and I create my pages at 300 resolution.

So, if I want to be a purist, should I aim for 360 resolution to get the best from my printer? What am I losing when my projects are 300 rather than 360 - and should I always strive for a resolution that is divisible by 8?

For my needs, my current method is working, but - Just curious - just want to learn.
Epson R1900; Epson NX430 Printers
Nikon Coolpix S8200 Camera