Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old March 21st, 2009, 07:58 AM
Casual Forum User

Printer question

This is probably not the right place for my question but I did not know where else to post it.

Is it possible to network my printer (HP Photosmart 8450) that I use with my desktop that has Windows XP with my new laptop that has Vista?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old March 21st, 2009, 08:20 AM
Casual Forum User

Yes. I run Windows XP SP3 on my PC and my daughter uses Vista on her laptop. I have a router installed and I use the software Network Magic and she is able to use my printer. This is the site for it. Please read carefully because I believe there is two versions.

http://www.purenetworks.com/
Old March 21st, 2009, 11:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Laura....

If your printer is connected to your desktop all you need to do is Share it. Open up the Printers dialog either from the Start button or the Control Panel. Right click on your printer and select Share. Give it a name.

On the laptop go through the routine of installing a new printer and at some poitn it will ask you if its a network printer. If you say yes you should be able to see the printer name and you can select that.

Obviously both machines need to be on at the same time.

Colin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 06:09 PM
Casual Forum User

Talking If printer does not work!

The answer to your question is best served with Codebreakers' example.

You need to remember that whichever computer has the printer physically attached to it will have to remain on (or at least be on before you can use the printer).

The idea of sharing from computer to wireless computer maintains the need for the sharing computers device to be online in order for any of its' devices to be seen by a wireless computer.

If the printer is network ready you could also plug it directly into a router and then it will always be available to all who are on the network.

I don't usually make any posts but just started subscribing to this forum on my RSS Google Reader.

The annual subscription was paid by me as a test of the value compared to the cost. My feeling. I wish I had taken advantage of the buy another year for cheaper because this site is in my mind the best PSE help and training on the web!

Good luck

Jerry
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:11 PM
Known Forum User

I had the same set up with a desktop having XP and a new laptop with Vista and had wanted to use the printer connected to the desktop but had been getting along by disconnecting the USP and connecting to the laptop instead. Tried your suggestion for network connection and by golly, it is working!!!! Thank you so much. I also purchased a 1 yr subscription in order to get the info that seems to be missing from all the other help sources and so far it has far exceeded my expectations--was really impressed with the newest issue of the magazine also.
Thanks so much for the unexpected help with my computer connection.
Karen
Old March 25th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Casual Forum User

Colin: My printer's name does not show on my laptop and the printer's manual says "After you connect the printer as described in this section, you must install the printer software". The problem with this is that the software came on a CD for Windows 98 or XP, not for Vista.

If I decide to buy a new printer do you have any suggestions?
Old March 25th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Frequent Contributor

Lightbulb Download the printer's driver from HP

Hi Laura,

If you need to print out of Vista you can go to HP's website and download the Vista driver for the Photosmart 8450. I have just the opposite configuration. My laptop has XP and my base computer with the printer has Vista. With the Vista driver on your laptop you should be able to send output from the laptop through the desktop and on out to the printer. If you have trouble doing this, just send a post back to this thread and we will help you through the technical "swamp."

Cheers,

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraE View Post
Colin: My printer's name does not show on my laptop and the printer's manual says "After you connect the printer as described in this section, you must install the printer software". The problem with this is that the software came on a CD for Windows 98 or XP, not for Vista.

If I decide to buy a new printer do you have any suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Personal website:

My PET Gallery:

My EV Gallery:

Old March 25th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Casual Forum User

I will give a try. I know I have done something similar but I am not sure I will remember how. Not to worry, I'll call HP if I need their help. Thanks!