Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old January 18th, 2009, 12:35 PM
New Forum User

Removing shadows PSE 3

New to the forum, been a PSE user for years. I've done a lot of painstaking editing using the clone and healing brushes. Just started to learn how to use layers for editing, but it's still confusing learning all the steps. I've read the Missing Manual for PSE and watched the videos in the subscriber section.

I'm trying to remove shadows from the face and upraised arm of female ballerina in the photo attached. I can't get it right with either the healing brush or clone tool alone. I've used the magic wand tool to identify the shadow areas I wanted to lighten, but can't figure out what tools are best beyond that. Any help would be appreciated. The image is just a small part of a much larger image to be used in a poster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC171429B hilite redux lesred darker crop.jpg (90.3 KB, 25 views)

PSE 3 & 6
PSP X
Neat Image
Olympus E-3
Old January 18th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Lester, if you remove the shadow on the upraised arm you lose the modeling which shows definition and curvature of the arm.
Same goes for the face.
Have you already altered this photo because the legs and the man's arm don't look natural, so does her lower arm.
Seems like work has been done on everything except for his face, her face and her tutu.
I fixed her hairline (smudge tool) and subdued the highlights on her face (magic wand with curves adjustment and a light smudge tool to blend the edges). I also introduced a little detail on her chest (smudge tool 35%).
I neutralized his face a little (color balance or hue/saturation).

Old January 18th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Senior Contributor

The shadows should not really be removed rather than lightened. Possibly like this:

I used two masked Screen Layers and some cloning.

Juergen
Old January 18th, 2009, 03:11 PM
New Forum User

Frank: The image was edited with auto levels, highlights darkened due to overexposure, unsharp mask and noise reduction.

Juergen: Yes, you're right it should be lightening the shadows, not removing them.

This is a similar, but differenty shadowed version. Might this be easier to work on and give a better result?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC171427 hilite redux lesred litmorblu darker crop.jpg (61.7 KB, 14 views)

PSE 3 & 6
PSP X
Neat Image
Olympus E-3
Old January 18th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Lester, this latest version is terrible. Stick to the first version and make the best you can out of it.
You apparently don't see the definition being lost in lightening the arm in the first print so I suggest you do what you think is necessary and live with it.
As to the previous corrections, they look more drawn and not natural, almost like a cartoon drawing.

Last edited by frank abramonte; January 18th, 2009 at 05:56 PM.