Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Lightroom

Old January 5th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Frequent Contributor

Arrow Scott's Lightroom Book

My Lightroom2 book has just arrived - some avid reading ahead
Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nikon D80/Canon Ixus/PSE5/PSE7/LIGHTROOM2/PE3/Blackcat Cougar 15"

God must love stupid people-He made so many of them
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 5th, 2009, 09:20 AM

That's great. Now sit in front of the screen and read it and try it at the same time. That's the best way I've found. And unlike some of Scott's books you actually want to read it in order from start to finish ....

Tony
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:24 AM

I agree with Tony 100%. That's the best way to get a handle on LR.

Now that I have LR 2, I'm going to have to upgrade to Scott's version 2 book...

Have fun, Sue.

Click
for my blog

Mac OS 10.9
PSE12, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Canon 5DmII, EF 24-105mm f/4L USM, EF 135mm f/2.0L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Old January 5th, 2009, 02:06 PM
New Forum User

YaY...I expect Scott Kelby's LR2 book from amazon today or tomorrow!!
Old January 5th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

Arrow

Got mine from Amazon for only 14.99

Nikon D80/Canon Ixus/PSE5/PSE7/LIGHTROOM2/PE3/Blackcat Cougar 15"

God must love stupid people-He made so many of them

Old January 5th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to genevh
I have another suggestion for LR2. While I like Scott Kelby's books and own several of them myself, I asked for the "Photoshop Lightroom 2 Adventure" by Mikkel Aaland for Christmas. He also wrote the LR1 Adventure when they took several photographer's to Iceland for several days worth of shooting and processing in LR. For the 2nd book they went to Tanzania.

While Scott is great on the how's, he's not always so generous with the why's. I found Mr. Aaland's book a good balance. He thoroughly covers LR2 and provides not only the how's of what they did, but a lot of good, though not so technical the average reader can't understand, explanations of the why's and some of the inner workings of the program itself. He has been involved in the LR project almost from the beginning.

Plus, a lot of great shots of Tanzania to boot! It retails for $29.69 (US) on Amazon and you can find it here.

CS5/LR4/Win7/Nikon!
Old January 5th, 2009, 05:20 PM
New Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwoodsusanm View Post
Got mine from Amazon for only 14.99
converted to Can.dollars that is what I paid too
In the bookstore here they ask almost double! With the book my LR2 disc will be there too, I just work with a trial version now. Have fun!
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by genevh View Post
I have another suggestion for LR2. While I like Scott Kelby's books and own several of them myself, I asked for the "Photoshop Lightroom 2 Adventure" by Mikkel Aaland for Christmas. He also wrote the LR1 Adventure when they took several photographer's to Iceland for several days worth of shooting and processing in LR. For the 2nd book they went to Tanzania.

While Scott is great on the how's, he's not always so generous with the why's. I found Mr. Aaland's book a good balance. He thoroughly covers LR2 and provides not only the how's of what they did, but a lot of good, though not so technical the average reader can't understand, explanations of the why's and some of the inner workings of the program itself. He has been involved in the LR project almost from the beginning.

Plus, a lot of great shots of Tanzania to boot! It retails for $29.69 (US) on Amazon and you can find it here.
Gene, I really like Mikkel Aaland's Lightroom Adventure and will be buying his LR Adventure 2 shortly. He had several very good books in the early days of Elements (Photoshop Elements Solutions for version 1, 2, and 3) and I've corresponded with him sporadically over the years. I've always liked his approach of giving both the "how" and the "why" (as opposed to Kelby who generally emphasizes the "how").

Nice that there are choices out there for those who like a different approach!

LR5, PSE10, CS6, Canon, Fuji, iMac
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to genevh
I really like his book. Found him off an email I got from nikonians.net. It was featured with a couple other books they recommended, but Amazon's price was by far the best one. I have several books I'm reading right now and will be looking at others from him.

CS5/LR4/Win7/Nikon!