Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Photography Discussions > Photography Equipment

Old January 4th, 2009, 07:33 AM
New Forum User

Is there a way to use remotes in Canon EOS 1000D/XS?

Being the poor guy I am, I bought Canon EOS 1000D (XS in the States), and I love the low noise levels and larger resolution (compared to my EOS 300D anyway), but now that I've played around with it for some time I've run across a real problem: The Canon EOS 1000D doesn't support IR remotes.

I was mortified to see that a modern digital SLR camera didn't have IR remote control option, which even my old 300D had, and which I loved! After some time I opened the manual and learnt that I can connect the camera to my computer and control the shutter via USB if I wish to pre-program long exposure shots, but what I really need is the ability to quickly trigger the camera from few feet away, and the delayed trigger just doesn't quite cut it, since it's annoying to run back and forth, and it really ruins the mood while taking pictures.

What I'd like to know is, that is there a way I could trigger the 1000D with some kind of wireless remote, that plugs into the standard remote plug in the left side of the camera, or am I somewhat stuck with the absence of this rather vital feature? I don't mind buying stuff to get this feature, but returning the camera is not an option (here in Finland we can't do that if the package is opened)

Thanks for reading!
Old January 4th, 2009, 08:02 AM
New Forum User

Have you checked out ebay under digital camera accessories?

I know that I got a wireless remote (timer remote also was available) for my Sony from seller in China and am very happy with it. There were several to choose from as well as different sellers at a fraction of local dealer price.

luck!
Old January 4th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Senior Contributor

OK, I hunted around for a while and found this:
http://photonotes.org/reviews/radio-remotes/

Juergen
Old January 4th, 2009, 09:34 AM
New Forum User

Thanks for the responses! I'm very glad that you were able to help me, since I'm a total newbie when it comes to shopping for camera equipment.

Tags
1000d, canon, rebel xs, remote, wireless