Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Premiere Elements

Old December 22nd, 2008, 01:30 PM
New Forum User

Canon 5D MKII and Premiere Elements

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here was using Premiere Elements to edit Canon 5D Mark II HD footage?

I used it to edit this short sample video:

http://www.ob-photo.com/2008/12/auto...-mazdaspeed-3/

Unfortunately, my computer hardware isn't the latest and greatest so the editing was slow and painful. Someone told me that transcoding the clips to a more editing friendly format is the way to go. But I wasn't sure what format to go with and if Premiere elements was capable of doing that. Hopefully someone here can shed some light on this subject. Thanks.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 05:44 PM
Senior Contributor

BlackMICA

First, are you the Oliver of the link? The video quality looks good. So, if you are Oliver, I have some questions for you. But before that, I did some homework since your Canon 5D Mark II specifications were not up front. Let me know if I collected them accurately with respect to video recording with that camera:

Canon 5D Mark II Video
HD Video recorded as Full 1920 x 1080 (1080p), MPEG4 format with a .mov file extension.
Sound from built in microphone appears to be Mono 2-Channel.
Apparently, the camera lets you shoot in 640 x 480 or HD 1920 x 1080.

Next a few Premiere Elements 7 details of interest:

1. Premiere Elements (7 and earlier) supports 1080i, but not 1080p. I have found that you can import and edit HD 1080p from the computer hard drive with the Premiere Elements HD 1080i30 project preset, but there is no export for HD 1080p30 or 25 within Premiere Elements.

2. Also, the project presets are not for the Full HD 1080i, rather they have specs for 1440 x 1080 16:9 that depend on an Anamorphic Pixel Aspect Ratio to arrive at 1920 x 1080. In version 7, the AVCHD format does offer Full 1920 x 1080i project presets as well as the 1440 x 1080i with its Anamorphic Pixel Aspect Ratio.

One workaround for the above issue has been shooting in 1080i60 instead of 1080p30 (for the cameras that offer that choice), importing that into Premiere Elements (project preset 1080i30) for edit, and then exporting as HD 1080i30.

What format do you want your end product in? Are you after the best quality DVD-VIDEO from your camera 1080p30 MPEG-4 with its .mov extension? If you shoot in HD, then you need to downsize to SD in camera or depend on how well Premiere Elements will do the downsizing from HD to SD within Premiere Elements (which in the past has a poor history). Downsizing HD to SD in camera has always been the way recommended for best results. The verdict is still out on whether Premiere Elements 7 does a better job of downsizing in these cases.

The native format for Premiere Elements is DV AVI where DV is the type of compression and AVI is the wrapper. At this point, I suspect that your labored production is due to your computer resources that are not up to the increased demands of HD as well as you probably exporting as .wmv with 2 passes.

In spite of all those comments above, the video in the link that you presented looks good. So, how did you get that, fundamental step by step.
Example:
Video format brought into computer/Premiere Elements...How
Project Preset set when you opened Premiere Elements
Export route: .wmv HD 1080i30 or other

Depending on your objectives, downsizing can be your major challenge to accommodate the requirements of the existing formats for stills and video end products.

ATR
Old December 22nd, 2008, 09:13 PM
New Forum User

Hey ATR,

Yes, I am Oliver. And everything seems to be correct regarding the camera information. And I am using Premiere Elements 7 on my Toshiba laptop with an Intel Core Duo T2080 1.73 Ghz and 2 GB of Ram.

Basically I want my end format to be whatever shows the best quality. I'll be uploading to Vimeo as well as burning to regular DVDs.

Here's what I did to get that video.

1. Download clips from CF card. As you said they are in .mov format.
2. Open up a new project using the NTSC - HDV - HDV 1080i 30 preset
3. Dropped the clips in. What I realized very quickly was playback and editing was very choppy. I found that if I rendered the work area, playback and editing was smoother. But having to do this for every transition, new clip, etc was very annoying and time consuming. Is there any way around that?
4. When I was satisfied with the video I clicked on the Share Tab - Output to PC - Windows Media - HD 720p. This step is a little hazy because I did a lot of trial and error before I got what I wanted. Let me know if something doesn't sound right.

So that's basically it. Is there a more efficient way to do things from the way I did it? Thanks.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 10:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I will be back tomorrow with more comments, but for now I just wanted to offer this comment about Rendering the Timeline while you are in the Edit phase of Premiere Elements, by pressing Enter on the main keyboard.

That process generates temporary Preview Files on the hard drive which allow you to get a better Preview. It does not impact the quality of the end product. So you could omit that type of Rendering and just continue to the end product. The generalization is that "everything will work out fine" omitting that type of rendering. BUT, then again, if you got a better Preview by Rendering the Timeline, then you could have corrected something that might have gone wrong.

Recently Tom Blizzard started a thread about whether is was necessary to Render the Timeline. Note the chat about the topic.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forum...ad.php?t=42863

By the way, I was not able to pick up on whether you can downsize your HD recordings in your camcorder. Do you know if it can? If not, I will look further to find out. You could try letting Premiere Elements 7 do the downsizing the HD video and see what that looks like. But, we may get to a point where downsizing the HD recording in the camcorder gains you better quality DVD-VIDEO widescreen (720 x 480, 16:9).

To be continued........

ATR
Old December 23rd, 2008, 01:37 AM
New Forum User

There isn't in camera downsizing as far as I know. As you said though, you can choose between 1920x1080 and 640x480.

That's good to know about the rendering. But unless I render, the playback is so choppy that I can't even see the transitions or changes I've done. Guess it's a necessary evil while I'm still using the laptop to edit.
Old December 29th, 2008, 04:17 PM
New Forum User

BlackMICA,
I just installed my copy of pre7 and tried to import an HD clip and it tells me
"This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed."
Did you have to do anything to get your computer to recognize it your 5fm2 video clips?
Old December 29th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Senior Contributor

mukherjeeprem

I will meet you back at your own thread, but I just had to ask now:

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed?

As I mentioned above, my research of the Canon 5D Mark II indicated a video format HD 1920 x 1080 (1080i) MPEG4 with a .mov extension.

Did you check out those System Requirements for Premiere Elements 7, like Quicktime 7?
http://www.adobe.com/products/psprelements/systemreqs/
"Import/export of 3GP, 3GP2, MOV, MPEG-4, and QuickTime requires QuickTime software."

Let us know if that could be the core of your issue. If not, we will explore other possibilities and get BlackMICA's first hand experience with this camera to get you pass this block.

ATR
Old December 30th, 2008, 01:49 PM
New Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukherjeeprem View Post
BlackMICA,
I just installed my copy of pre7 and tried to import an HD clip and it tells me
"This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed."
Did you have to do anything to get your computer to recognize it your 5fm2 video clips?
I don't believe I did. Definitely make sure you have the latest quicktime installed.
Old December 30th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Senior Contributor

BlackMICA

Thanks for returning to this thread to help mukherjeeprem.

The problem seems resolved and was probably "no latest version of QuickTime installed in the new computer". See mukherjeeprem's other thread.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forum...ad.php?t=43293

Thanks again for the follow up.

ATR
Old December 30th, 2008, 04:34 PM
New Forum User

My workflow with Adobe Premiere and the Canon 5D MKII

Hi.
If that can be of any help, I describe in great details my workflow with the Canon 5D Mark II and Adobe Premiere CS4, using proxies and offline editing.
I'm sure some parts could be applied to Adobe Premiere Elements...
After this video:
http://www.vimeo.com/2641870