Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old November 26th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Enlightened Elder

Lightbulb Things you wish you had known about

I suppose that all of us have things we wished we had know about Elements ... those things that you struggle with for ages and then someone says something and you realise that there is a far simpler way to do it .. Basic things that tutorials and books don't seem to cover. Maybe we can help new people avoid some of the ones that tripped us up

Here is one of mine:

It was such a relief when someone mentioned that you could "Add to" or Subtract from" a selection ... I thought that you had to do it all at once.

Can you imagine trying to do that

Wendy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"

Old November 26th, 2005, 12:43 PM

Well this is a silly little thing that I'm sure is covered lots of places and everyone knows it but I was frustrated because my brushes, clone tools etc etc suddenly became cross hairs with no indication of brush size. I checked preferences and that had it set right . Took me a while to find that my Caps Lock was on. That's when I found that it works as a toggle to change the brush appearance. Should have known it I guess but I didn't, but I do now

Tony
Old November 26th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to GaryK
I wish I had known about the

Layer>layer style>style settings

to change border sizes and stuff when the little "f" thingy isn't enough.

Old November 26th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Took me forever to figure out how to get rid of a layer style that I no longer wanted: Layer>Layer Style>Clear Layer.

--Linda
Old November 26th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Wish I had known that when my brushes, clone tool, eraser wouldn't work all I had to do was take the mouse on my Wacom tablet off and set it someplace else when using my regular mouse.

Old November 26th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Senior Contributor

I wish I'd known about the Levels adjustment layer / clipping mask trick a long time ago...

Mike
Old November 26th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Also took me a while to figure out how to clear a layer style--I found that right-clicking on the layer pops up a context menu enabling clear layer style. It would be so conventient if they'd put a button right next to the Create Layer button to clear layer styles.

Another lightbulb went on when I realized you could scale layer effects through the Layer > Layer Style menu.

Diana

Its not happy people who are thankful, its thankful people who are happy.

~ Canon 5D Mark II ~ Canon Rebel XTi ~ EF70-200 f/2.8L ~ EF85 f/1.8 ~ EF24-70 f/2.8 ~ EF 24-105 f4 L IS ~ EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon PowerShot S95 ~ Canon PowerShot SX50 HS ~ Windows 7 ~ PSE 11 & 12 ~ PS CC ~ Lightroom5 ~ Pro Show Producer ~ Corel Painter X ~ Printers: Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II, HP Deskjet 882C, HP LaserJet 1200 ~
Old November 26th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Enlightened Elder

Another one from me ...

If you want to scale a pattern you can do it it when you use

Layer>New Fill layer>Pattern ...

Wendy

"

Old November 26th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Senior Contributor

I wish I'd known about Wendy!!

iMac, Canon Digital Rebel

Old November 26th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Enlightened Elder

Carol ..

Now that really made me laugh

Wendy

"