Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Photography Discussions > Photography Equipment

Old November 14th, 2008, 10:47 AM
New Forum User

Bringing RAW into PSE6

I recently upgraded from Canon 20D to Canon 50D. I had no problem bringing RAW into PSE6 from my 20D but cannot bring them into PSE6 from my 50D. I have formatted the cards with the 50D but this has not helped. I would appreciate any ideas.
Old November 14th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Adobe Camera Raw (ACR), the plug-in that gets launched by Elements to read/process RAW files from major manufactureses needs to be updated periodically to keep up with the new cameras hitting streets. The latest version of ACR is 5.1. Check your version, it porbably needs to be updated. Go to the Camera Raw section of Adobe's web site and downlaod and install the latest version. There are installation instructions as to where to put the file, because although it is the samne file for Photoshop CS4, the plug-in file goes into a differnet location.

Jeff
Old November 14th, 2008, 11:50 AM
New Forum User

Raw

Thanks Jeff - I downloaded the update as you suggested but I am not very computer savvy. I followed the instructions and found the zip icon on my desktop, opened it and then "guessed" I should extract the files. Was I correct? When I tried to import into PSE6, I was unsuccessful. Can you walk me through the download and install procedure and anything else you might think that a neophyte needs to know? Thanks for you trouble, Dennis
Old November 14th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Known Forum User

Try this thread:-

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forum...ad.php?t=41808
Old November 14th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Denman, I'll assume you are using Windows Xp and you are using PSE 6. Open a File Explorer window and navigate to the the following folder...

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 6.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats

In the folder you should find a file called Camera Raw.8bi

I would suggest you rename the extension to .BAK for safe keeping (or anything else but .8bi).

Now drag the Camera Raw.8bi you extracted from the ZIP archive and drop it into that folder.

After you have verified that ACR loads properly when you open your RAW files, you can delete the ZIP archive file from your desktop.

Every once an a while, Adobe will issue new versions of ACR, usually only to keep up with new cameras, but occasionally adding new features or improving older ones, so try to keep up with the upgrades.

Jeff