Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Premiere Elements

Old October 20th, 2008, 10:58 PM
New Forum User

Changing the Background in a Video Clip

I am trying to edit a music video clip that I shot last week, but my customer wants me to change the background in the video. So how can I change the Background in a Video Clip? Please I need help. Is anybody out there who has experience in this field or know of any tutorial link, video or book that can help me? Dave.
Old October 21st, 2008, 07:29 AM
Senior Contributor

What version of Premiere Elements do you have?

By "change background" do you mean to replace the complete video track content of the clip with another, but retain the original audio track content? If so, you could:
a. Highlight the video, go to Clip Menu and select "Unlink Audio and Video"
or
b. Right click the video on the Timeline, and from the pop up menu select "Unlink Audio and Video".
c. Then you could highlight and right click the content of video track 1 and select clear
d. Then drag your replacement video from the Media to the Timeline video track 1.

If that is not what you need, then please go into a lot more details, including Premiere Elements version.

ATR
Old October 23rd, 2008, 08:57 AM
New Forum User

When I say "change the background in the video" this is what I mean. I mean Change the background image of the clip and bring in a new background so that the subject in the clip takes on a new background (either still or moving) but still maintain the original sound track of the video. For example in photoshop element one can change the background of a picture and place the subject on a new background. This is exactly what I want to do in premiere element. I hope you get my explanation right. Thanks Nsimb.

Last edited by dnsimbo; October 23rd, 2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 03:02 PM
Senior Contributor

dnsimbo

Thanks for clarifying what you want to do.

Unfortunately Premiere Elements does not have selection tools compariable to those that you elude to in Photoshop Elements.

However, you can change the background in Premiere Elements so that your subject has a different background or a background of your choice behind him, her, or it. BUT, that you plan ahead of time while recording the original image(s) with a blue or green screen behind it, then take the image(s) into Premiere Elements.

I am referring to the use of Chroma Key or Green Screen Key or Blue Screen Key in Effects under the Keying category.

Besides the version of Premiere Elements that you are using, you did not mention what the content of your background. Is it one solid color, green, blue or whatever? Or, is it, for example, a person walking down a tree with background changing from scene to scene?

With Chroma Key you can get certain color removed and replaced with transparency to allow for portions of a background to show through. But, how successful you are will depend on that nature of the background that you intend to replace as well as the separation of colors to allow for a clean selection/removal.

Prognosis for your project: guarded, and final verdict pending more details.
Read up on Chroma Key and then we will talk further.

ATR
Old October 23rd, 2008, 03:04 PM
Senior Contributor

dnsimbo

I did not mean to be cute, just a typing error...that "person walking down a tree" was supposed to be "person walking down a street".

ATR
Old October 23rd, 2008, 03:08 PM
Senior Contributor

dnismbo,

Sorry, it is a bad day for my typing....please replace "elude" with "allude". I will do better after lunch.

ATR
Old October 23rd, 2008, 05:02 PM
New Forum User

Thanks ATR for the help I will try it, and give you some feed back. Bye Nsimb
Old October 26th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Nsimb

I was answering someone else's question and posted a overview article link on the new features of Premiere Elements 7
http://muvipix.com/learning/WhatsNewIn7.pdf

Check out the part about Videomerge.

As I suggested in the other thread, if you get tempted to upgrade, go the free 30 day tryout route from Adobe before you purchase. I do not have Premiere Elements 7 right now, but expect to in a week or so. If you do not get there first, I will try out the Videomerge feature and give you details of "how it worked or did not work for me".

ATR