Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old October 15th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Senior Contributor

How to change photo to 2 mb

I have a series of photos to send to an online contest. All photos must be no larger than 2 mb. Is there a way to multiple process all photos to 2 mb?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSE 6, XP, and newly added Lightroom 3.6

"Character is what you have left when you've lost everything you can lose." -Evan Esar 1899-1995
Old October 16th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Known Forum User

Send a message via AIM to David Asch
The JPEG dialog gives you an estimate of the size but is not always 100% accurate. A better way is to use Save for Web. The fly-out menu to the right of the Preset menu allows you to specify the file size.

It must be Thursday, I could never get the hang of Thursdays.

System: MacPro Dual Quad 2.8GHz, Wacom Bamboo Touch.
Software: Photoshop CS4. Elements 10
Camera: Canon EOS 40D
Old October 16th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you David. Can I do that as a batch, or must I do it to each individual photo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Asch View Post
The JPEG dialog gives you an estimate of the size but is not always 100% accurate. A better way is to use Save for Web. The fly-out menu to the right of the Preset menu allows you to specify the file size.

"Character is what you have left when you've lost everything you can lose." -Evan Esar 1899-1995
Old October 16th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to GaryK
Suzanne

You may want to check out Irfanview (free). It has some very handy batch conversion tricks. Not sure about size conversion but it is almost a must have freebie anyway.

Old October 16th, 2008, 06:23 PM

The usual rules say under 2 Mb so there isn't anything to be gained by getting everything to 2 Mb. The way jpeg compression works is that at the same quality compression some pics will come out a lot smaller than others. An extreme example would be a pic of a pure blue sky - even a high quality jpeg isn't going to be a very big file - force it to be 2Mb and you run the risk of introducing artifacts. So I'd just save everything at the same jpeg quality level that brings the file size under 2Mb

Can't speak for the competition you're entering but I did judge one locally and we did it on-line, just viewing the pics on the computer display. So whether the pic was 2KB or 2Mb wouldn't have made any difference at all to the result! The only reason for requesting the higher size was so that the winners would have enough pixels for printing a reasonable sized print.

Tony
Old October 16th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Senior Contributor

When I did a "save for the web", and clicked on the fly-out, I chose 2 mbps (2 mb per second??). It seems all it changed was the resolution from 230 to 72. I don't know hardly anything about pictures size, px size etc., but it seems to me that the photo is still rather large - 2576 px on the longest side. Maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges.

Last edited by swalkr; October 16th, 2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old October 16th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Casual Forum User

Did you take a close look at process multiple files menu in PSE6? If you put all the photos you want to convert in a folder, you have a lot of conditions you can set to change them size wise. You can't say give me a 2 MB output, but you can set the parameters so you get less than 2 MB.

Do they give a max pixel dimension for the entry?

Last edited by boblemon; October 16th, 2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old October 16th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Senior Contributor

No pixel dimensions mentioned. I'm doing them individually with save for the web, and I'm about done. I had 12 to change, which is not a huge number, but I was thinking for in the future also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblemon View Post
Did you take a close look at process multiple files menu in PSE6? If you put all the photos you want to convert in a folder, you have a lot of conditions you can set to change them size wise. You can't say give me a 2 MB output, but you can set the parameters so you get less than 2 MB.

Do they give a max pixel dimension for the entry?