Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old November 10th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Casual Forum User

Text Character spacing - Expanding

How do I expand the character spaces between letters?
I don't want to increase the font size, rather just to take up more room on the horizontal axis.
When I "Ctrl-T" and pull on the sides, the spacing increases, but the font gets wider.
Old November 10th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm at work now, but I think that first you need to turn on the Asian options (Edit / Preferences for Windows, Photoshop Elements / Preferences for Mac). Then, at the option bar, when in the Text tool, you'll see an option for that (spacing between letters).

Ray
Old November 10th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Enlightened Elder

Hi there ...

... and welcome to the forum

Rays method is the solution to this one so you should be OK but if you do have any problems getting it to work just ask

Wendy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"

Old November 11th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Casual Forum User

Expand the character spaces between letters? Asian button

When I click on the "Asian" text option
The only option available is Mojikumi, which condenses the characters only.
There isn't even an option for Tsume, which was also recommended to use to expand the space between characters.
Does anyone else have any suggestions on how to expand the spaces of a line of text?
Old November 11th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to GaryK
I think you have to change the "leading" value. If I remember correctly, you only have that option in the option bar, once Asian is turned on.

Just checked ....leading is there all the time ops: I thought I had Asian turned on

Just checked again, Tsume is there at the very bottom looks like a line.

I'm not sure how it works though.

Old November 11th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Enlightened Elder

Ah I have just looked at it ...

Change the value to a lower figure that is what increases it

Highlight the text then change the value to zero %

Wendy

"

Old November 11th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor

I messed up..sorry. Was thinking leading was right, but that is the line spacing

I can"t get it to work at all

Old November 11th, 2005, 07:29 PM

Amazingly if you type tsume into the Adobe Help box at the top right of the screen it gives a rather good description of how it works. Unusually good for PSE :lol:

Tony
Old November 11th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Enlightened Elder

Ummm ... now I understand Tsume is the name of the whole thing !!

Wendy

"

Old November 12th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Jones

It might be a bit cumbersome, but it looks like you will have to add spaces and then reduce the space between.This may still not give the right spacing though.