Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old July 24th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Casual Forum User

fade/blur collage

After searching numerous threads, I can't seem to find the answer to my question...

I'm creating a photo collage with a gradient background. I would like the edges of the pics I add to fade and blur into the gradient, while still retaining their general rectangular shape. Like having a white, foggy halo around the photo. Seems like it should be easy but can't figure it out!

If someone can help me with this I would be soooo grateful!

Thanks so much!
Dreamer
Old July 24th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Casual Forum User

I think you need to feather the selection. If you want the whole photograph as the selection you can select all and then feather it.

Terri

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Casual Forum User

example of feathering

I made a gradient for the background and added three pictures. Is this the effect you are looking for? I used a 20 pixel feather on the rectangular selection tool, but my images are really low resolution. Depending on the amount of "halo" you want around the images, and the resolution of the images, you might want to use more or less feathering. This is probably more feathering than you want, but it illustrates the point. It works well with elliptical selections too.

Also I found out that selecting all and feathering didn't give me this effect I wanted. I ended up with a harder edge. I needed to select in from the edge of the individual photographs. I also made the backgrounds of the photographs into regular layers so the feathering would result in transparent edges. I may not have needed to do that, but I figured it didn't hurt.

The people in the photographs are playing Go. :-)

Terri
Attached Images
File Type: jpg feathering.jpg (80.4 KB, 73 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Goddess_of_Go; July 25th, 2008 at 08:33 AM.
Old July 25th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Casual Forum User

Terri,

Thanks for your response. That is pretty close to the effect I'm looking for, and a much better look than I've been able to create. I would really like to see the feathered area surrounded with white, though.

Could you please tell me specifically what you did to get that effect? I have tried to make my selection and choose a high feather number but I can't get anythink to actually happen to the picture. I'm a real newbie here so please bear with me.

Thanks!
Dreamer
Old July 25th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Senior Contributor

There are several ways to create this effect. Here are two. My assumption is that you will be placing these pictures as a collage on your backgrond.

Method 1.

1. Duplicate background layer
2. Create white layer between these two layers
3. On top layer make selection with marquee tool (rectangular in your case), go to select>inverse, go to select>feather 25-50px (experiment), hit delete on keyboard.

Method 2.

1. Make selection with marquee tool
2. Feather 25-50 px
3. Go to Styles & Effects palette (this may be called something else in your version of PE). From drop down menu select effects, then select all, and scroll down to "vignette selection" and apply this.

HTH

PSE8, WIN7
Old July 25th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Casual Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Terri,

Thanks for your response. That is pretty close to the effect I'm looking for, and a much better look than I've been able to create. I would really like to see the feathered area surrounded with white, though.

Could you please tell me specifically what you did to get that effect? I have tried to make my selection and choose a high feather number but I can't get anythink to actually happen to the picture. I'm a real newbie here so please bear with me.

Thanks!
Dreamer
I made my selections in the original photo files and copied the selections into a new file in which I made a gradient background. It isn't until the selection is copied into the new file that you are actually able to see the effect of the feathering. You see the effect when the pixels from the background layer are allowed to show through in the feathered area. When it is still just a selection in the photo file all you see is the "marching ants" border which will have rounded corners because of the feathering.

I am not sure about making the white feathered border but it sounds as if ken1 has you covered on that in the post above with the white layer.

Terri

Old July 25th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Casual Forum User

Ken1

I was interested in trying your second method. I have Elements 6 and I don't see a "vignette selection" under styles. What version are you using?

Terri

Old July 25th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Casual Forum User

White Feather Sample As Suggested By Ken1

Dreamer,

I tried the first method that Ken1 suggested to get the white feather.

You would probably want to feather a selection from this to go into your background to maintain that soft look along the edge with the rounded corners and the background showing through.

Terri

Old July 25th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Casual Forum User

woops

Here is the image for the above post.

Terri
Attached Images
File Type: jpg robwhitefeather.jpg (19.7 KB, 41 views)

Old July 25th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Terri,
I have v.3. Waiting for v.7!!
I find it under "effects", but they may have deleted it in v.6. Be that as it may, the end result is comparable to that in method 1.
Let us know how you make out.
Ken

PSE8, WIN7