Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > More > Elements Village Challenges

Old July 24th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Be Creative Week #37

Hi everyone,

Let’s BE CREATIVE.

Thanks to everyone who took part last week, great images.

The small print for the challenge is ……
Everyone reading the forum is invited to participate.
Please join in, share your images, ideas, imagination and inspiration.

Please post your images (as many as you like) below in this thread.

If you would like to comment or have a question, please post here.

Above all, have fun!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Be Creative Week #37

This week we’re going to try a ‘velvia look’, a lot of plug-ins and actions recreate this look, but I thought it might be cool to try creating one ourselves

http://www.digiretus.com/tippek/cikkiro.php?SORSZAM=76

and if you would like to read about it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velvia

Notes:
1. The tut is written for Photoshop, the only part you can’t do in PSE is this part referring to the levels adjustment layer,

“I chose Enhance Monochromatic Contrast from the Options menu, only affecting lightness, and set the Clip values for Shadows and Highlights to 0.1% each”.

I tried it in PSE5 and CS3, and it doesn’t appear to make a difference if you skip this part, although I did change the midtone input levels and output levels as suggested next.

2. As always you will need to adjust the opacity of your adjustment layers to suit the image you are using.

3. If you are doing this in CS3, then the brightness/contrast is not as dramatic as it used to be, so you can check ‘legacy’ to get a very intense look and then adjust as necessary.

4. Graininess is optional.

5. This isn’t the only way to create a velvia look, there are variations and many different tuts.

Please try it out, have fun, and as always I look forward to seeing your images.
Old July 24th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Senior Contributor

here's mine, I omitted the graininess

Lisa
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:58 AM

Back to my poppies . The only modification I made was to throw in a lighting effect filter at the end to put a little more light on the main poppy. Just for fun I also tried a Lightroom Velvia preset I had and that's the second image (with no lighting effect). Not a lot of difference.

Lisa: I found that bit about the Levels options settings in Photoshop a bit strange as they only apply I think if you use Auto Levels and this tut doesn't so not surprised you couldn't see a difference

Tony
Old July 24th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Senior Contributor

I thought it might be interesting to try one in Elements, and then I downloaded the action that comes with the tut and did that in CS3.

Elements

Action

I prefer the Elements one even if it is a bit bland in comparison. Toni

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sony A200, Elements 6, CS5, Windows 7

Last edited by Aussie Nan; July 24th, 2008 at 08:03 AM.
Old July 24th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Casual Forum User

The velvia look sure helped this weak photo taken with a point & shoot on a stormy Dec. evening. --- "Window" in Big Bend NP, Texas. --
Old July 24th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Frequent Contributor

I tried this on several images, and I kept coming back to the dandelion. I like what it did to the background. Thank you so much for the tutorial, Lisa.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bamagirl; July 24th, 2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Casual Forum User

Send a message via Yahoo to rvrbndr
Here's my result. Changed it a bit - my first layer I changed to Color Burn @ 63%, 2nd layer = Color @ 100% and the third = Luminosity @ 100%. I left the graininess out totally and skipped the Enhance Monochromatic Contrast.
Before --------------------------------- After

Old July 24th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the fine tut Lisa. I usually stay away from velvia because the colors can so easily get blown out. This technique had some nice controls in it. Fun one.

Bill

Old July 24th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Lisa, once again an interesting technique. Thanks a lot. Lots of fun! I skipped the graininess and lowered down the opacity of the top Color Contrast layer a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #37.jpg (92.5 KB, 19 views)

PSE7,10,11,12 (Windows 7 64-bit)

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." -- Mark Twain
Old July 25th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Casual Forum User

The timing for this was great for me because I was trying to fix this picture that I took last week. I'm amazed at the endless tutorials that you share with us Lisa. Thanks much.