Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old July 14th, 2008, 04:18 PM
New Forum User

How do you crop part of a picture and put it into a different picture in your album?

I cant find any info on this. Im trying to take someone's head in one picture, and put it on another body in a different picture in my album, but i can only seem to edit one picture at a time. Can someone help me here?
Old July 14th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Senior Contributor

This is the way I would do it....Bring both images into Editor.. do any editing needed , click on the image you want to crop..(are you cropping or are you just selecting the head) if cropping ..use crop tool for the size you want, click on green check to commit. Now go to top tool bar and choose Window and check cascade. you now have 2 images in work area. Make the cropped image the top active image select the move tool and drag the cropped image onto the other image. You can also use the Edit copy and then paste into the other image. Hope this helps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSE5,PRE3,PSE11,PRE11/ Windows 7 Pro 64 bit O/S
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3740QM CPU @2.70GHz 16 GB
256gb solid state hd and 750 gb hd
Old July 15th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Senior Contributor

I haven't played with it, but photomerge feature may be good for that.

Old July 15th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Senior Contributor

drummer76, this is one way,
I'm on a Mac, but they should be the same on a PC.

Have both photos open on your desktop.
Check to see if they are both the same size and resolution.
If they are not, you will have to scale (reduce and/or enlarge) the head to fit the receiving photo.

Check to see how close in hue, saturation and luminosity they are.
If they are not, you will have to adjust one of them to make them more compatible.

Check to see that the head has the correct orientation.

NOW:
Select the head using any one of a number of methods.
Chances are you would be best suited in using the brush or magic extractor.
I find using the brush gives more control. Begin with a small diameter brush to isolate the details, then switch to a wider brush to delete the remaining background.
After isolating the head continue to paint away the rest of the photo so that the head is the only item left.
This will allow you to finally select the head using the magic wand.
Using the magic wand with a tolerance of 5 click on the white background of the head photo.
Then go to Select>Inverse (this will allow you to move only the silhouetted head)
Using the move tool drag the head onto the main photo.
Now you can position and adjust the size as you wish.