Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old June 10th, 2008, 12:10 PM
New Forum User

Looking to purchase a photo printer

I looking to purchase a new printer. Been leaning toward a HP 9180 but I have vista home premium and it does not appear that the printer is Vista certified. Should this be a big concern? Are other printers with the same price point better? Suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated!
Old June 11th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Casual Forum User

I have a new HPC4280 and a nine year old Epson 660 The HP is faster and handy for printing out letters, documents etc. but the quality of photo prints is poor. The Epson is slow but prints great images. Needless to say I wish I had bought a new Epson instead of an HP.

George
Old June 11th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Administrator

The B9180 is a good printer that prints excellent photos, although, unless you need Ethernet networking and support for really thick paper, you might want to look at its cheaper sibling, the Photosmart Pro B8850, which uses the same inks as the B9180.

Good things about those two printers:
- great prints, especially on matte and fine art papers;
- good prints on glossy papers;
- really easy to add alternative paper types to the print driver;
- large ink cartridges, which means fewer changes (although the ink is priced pretty much the same per ml as Canon and Epson);
- great black-and-white prints.

Not-so-good:
- HP doesn't have a great selection of glossy paper, which is part of the reason the glossy prints are only good (They look kind of flat and dull sometimes)
- The manual feed tray is ok, but a lot of people tend to complain about paper not lining up correctly, which means the printer prints a bit crooked.

I run a photo printer site called Printerville, and you can check out a review of the B8850, as well as Epson's competing printer, the Stylus Photo R1900, which is a great printer in its own right.

http://www.printerville.net/

Hope this helps,
Rick
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:06 AM
New Forum User

Thanks for taking the time to provide input. I'll certainly check out the website.
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Casual Forum User

I don't print any of my own pictures anymore, but happened across some advertising by Kodak, about reducing ink costs by 50%. Might be worth looking into!

Wayne

http://printers.kodak.com/

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Nikon D40X, 18-55mm, 70-300mm VRII, SB600, Nikon Coolpix 5000, Nikon Coolpix S4100, PhotoShop Elements 3, 5, 7, 9 & 11, ProShow Gold 3, ProShow Producer 4.5, Lightroom 3.6, Nikon Coolscan IV ED, HP 3570, Sony VRD-MC5