Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old May 27th, 2008, 02:52 PM
New Forum User

Best method to move images to external HD?

My digital photo collection is rapidly growing too big to sit on the internal HD in my laptop. I have an external HD that I'm planning to move a fair number to. I've been investigating the different options available to me in PSE5 and wonder if anyone has any comments?

Requirements:
- Move images from one internal HD to external HD
- Would like to preserve existing MS-Windows folder structure (ie. photos stored in folders named by date) when moving hundreds of photos based in multiple folders.
- The external HD is not always going to be connected to the laptop
- Would like to keep a fair number of photos on the internal HD, as a screen saver runs on the laptop that displays these photos - which keeps the wife happy.

Options Investigated:
1. File->Move
(-ve) This moves the photos but looses the original folder structure. (-ve) If the external HD is not connected and a photo is selected on this drive, PSE5 automatically searches for this "missing file". This holds up any general browsing of photos.

2. File->Copy/Move Offline
(-ve) This moves photos but looses the original folder structure again.
(+ve) If the external HD is not connection and a photo on this drive is selected, PSE5 prompts for the HD to be attached.
(+ve) A proxy image is held by PSE5, so images can still be viewed, tagged, etc. with the annoying "missing file" dialog.
(-ve) If you try to edit an "offline" image, PSE5 makes an "online" copy of the image on the internal HD. After editing you then have to remember to move it back "offline".

3. Move the files using the PSE5 "Folder Location Tree"
(+ve) Moves photos and maintains their original folder structure
(-ve) As (1), you get the "missing file" annoyance if the external HD is not connected.

4. Move the files through MS-Windows File Explorer
Same as (3) but looses the linkage to these photos and they need to be relinked

Conclusion:
I guess what I'm looking for is a hybrid of 1, 2 & 3. Something that would move folders to the external HD and maybe appear in PSE5 with a special icon (like when moving offline) and maintain a proxy file for general viewing. When editing an externally held photo PSE5 would prompt for the drive to be attached if it wasn't already.
Ideally also be able to move by folder not just file - oh, and be able to use the proxy files for the screen saver too.

Too much to ask or am I missing something fundamental in PSE? Can't believe that I'm the only one with similar requirements. If anyone has any comments or suggestions, they would be gratefully received!

Last edited by ChrisC; May 27th, 2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old May 27th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't think there is a solution to give you all of the things you want. I think if you have to have the external HD disconnected at certain times, then you are stuck with the problems you described.

Which brings me to a possible alternative ... why move your photos to the external HD? Perhaps you could move other stuff (non-photo related) to the external HD and leave the photos where they are?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Photos
Old May 27th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Known Forum User

I use SyncBackSE to move files to my External Drive and it works great.

They have a free trial.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(A work in progress.)

Pentax K10D
Pentax DA 18-55mm
Pentax DA* 50-135mm
Pentax DA 50-200mm
Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro

PSE 6
Photoshop CS3
Painter-X
NAPP Member
Old May 27th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Frequent Contributor

This is based on reading of other posts and books, not personal experience.

Go to preferences and set your proxy file size to your monitor size.

Clean up your database with File>Catalog>Recover, File>Reconnect all missing files, followed by another File>Catalog>Recover.

In folder view, use File>Move Offline to move one folder at a time, setting up a matching set of folders on the ehd to move them to.

As far as the screen saver goes, I would do a file>export to a special screensaver folder in My Pictures, resizing them to the resolution of the monitor and use this with the Windows screensaver. You might want to create a screensaver tag if you want to keep track within Organizer of which pictures you've used.

Let me know if this works. I am going to be moving up to 5 after I add memory to my laptop. My photos are all on a small portable ehd that is always connected.
PS 6, Mac OS 9.2
PET Subscriber since July 2007

Old February 22nd, 2009, 05:37 PM
New Forum User

pictures on external hard drive

You are describing exactly what I want to do----work with my photos from and external hard drive. My photos are all on my pc hard drive, though. Can I move them to an external drive and if so, how do I do it? I want to be able to connect it to whichever computer (pc or lap top) I am using and edit, organize, ect.
Thanks
Sue
Old February 22nd, 2009, 06:02 PM
Senior Contributor

See my reply in the other thread:

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forum...ad.php?t=27336
Old December 17th, 2009, 11:30 AM
New Forum User

Difference between 'Copy/Move' and DRAG/Drop

PSE7, Vista64: I have been moving files by using 'copy/move' from laptop to external drive. THAT leaves an 'red icon' in the thumbnail so I know that I have moved those files.

In reading some suggestions here, I just moved a folder by using the folder view instead, and dragging the entire folder over to the EHD. That has NOT left an icon in the thumbnail so I don't know it has been moved. Which I will now find confusing.

Elements does not show full directory path names in the title bar (which I really find irritating) so I am now worried about really getting confused on where stuff is.

I have had Elements 7 for just a few months and am trying to work out some method of workflow management.

I import using Adobe Bridge (CS4), making a folder by place and date, ie, Zion 120809, letting Bridge number and tag 'Zion.'

I then import that folder with Elements 7. Work on those photos, then maybe a week later, have been moving them by move/copy to EHD.

I liked that there was a red icon so I know that that file had been moved and where it was. By doing the drag/drop from with the Zion 120809 to the EHD, and the then moved picture NOT showing a red icon, I can't/won't be able to instantly know it's location status.

Which way is better then?
Old December 17th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Senior Contributor

You're doing a lot of work, and there seems to be an easier way.

For your new photos (that aren't in the PSE Organizer yet), just put all of them on the EHD, and leave them there. Don't move them at all. Import them into PSE from the EHD.

For the photos that are already in the PSE Organizer, if it is confusing you to have some on the EHD and some elsewhere, then adopt a policy that won't confuse you. Simply move them all (using Folder Location View) to the EHD.

I think there are drawbacks to Copy/Move Offline to an EHD, but as I don't use it, I'm not sure. Certainly the drawback if you move offline to CD or DVD is that the only way you can work with the photos is to move them back to your hard disk. I'm guessing its the same with an EHD, to work with the photos you have to move them back from the EHD to the internal Hard Drive, which is a lot of work that you don't have to do.

By the way, when you worry about what folder your photos are in, you seem to be missing one of the major benefits of the PSE Organizer. Specifically, it knows what folder things are in, so you don't have to. The computer software is doing the work for you. Use tags and metadata (captions, notes, GPS locations) to organize your files, and when you need a photo for non-PSE work (like e-mail or uploading), let PSE search for it (so you don't have to) and use File->EXport to provide a copy somewhere (like a temporary folder) that you can e-mail or upload. At no point do you need to know what folder your original or edited photos are in for this to work.
Photos

Last edited by dj_paige; December 17th, 2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:32 PM
New Forum User

Thanks for the quick reply DJ. I just found out WHY there is no red icon when using drag/drop, PSE7 doesn't keep the thumbnail when using that method of moving. So if my laptop is not connected to the EHD, it won't show the file thumbnail!

I can't have that. I have to see which files I've moved. Additionally, it's another way to KNOW I have moved things for backup. As I take my laptop around and still want to work on recent photos, I want the initial load onto the laptop until I need to move them over to the EHD.

I understand your philosophy on loading them first to the EHD, but then I wouldn't be able to work on them without the EHD attached.

Additionally, my BRAIN has to know WHERE the files are located. I HATE that PSE7 doesn't show a full file name, F:Canon/Zion/Zion 1200909 001.RAW, or whatever when I'm working on a file. My brain works by place and dates and where the files are located, I can't NOT know. ;-)

Lastly, I have an additional question on using 'copy/move.' When I then want to move Zion 120909 (directory all files in folder) over to M:Canon..... I make a folder under the Zion folder there. (M:Canon/Zion/) Zion 120909. I highlight all Zion pictures with that date, and do a copy/move.

If I pick the M:Zion 120909 folder, PSE7 makes ANOTHER Zion 120909 under that sub directory and puts the photos there. If I select the M:Zion folder, it just puts the photo files there, and does NOT make the directory name (and put the photo files there.)

What am I doing wrong?
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSage View Post
Additionally, my BRAIN has to know WHERE the files are located. I HATE that PSE7 doesn't show a full file name, F:Canon/Zion/Zion 1200909 001.RAW, or whatever when I'm working on a file. My brain works by place and dates and where the files are located, I can't NOT know. ;-)
Right-click on a photo and select Show Properties this will show you the exact location of your files.

I humbly suggest that this thought pattern of having to know what folder the photo is in is not an optimal way of doing things in the PSE environment. If your brain works by place and dates, there are PSE tags to keep track of places, and the timeline to keep track of dates.

My brain doesn't remember dates of photos (even though the photos are stored in folders named for the photo's capture date). I refuse to clutter my brain with dates of photo capture, and I am still perfectly able to locate my photos whenever I want.
Photos