Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old May 27th, 2008, 10:20 AM
New Forum User

NEWBIE to photoshop - how to do a simple cut and paste

Hi there, this is my first post - I just got Adobe Elements 6 so I have a lot to learn, I've did some things already, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do a simple cut and paste. For example I want to take a patch of grass and copy that patch to another spot on the picture! I've had no luck with the retouching tool (I think thats' what it is called)

Thanks for your help!
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi, and welcome to the village. Thanks for posting your first question.
There are probably several ways to do this. The way I do it is using the marquee rectangle tool (select by touching the 'm' key). I draw out a selection and copy it. I know, it looks like the selection is the only thing there; however, there are really two of them....one on top of the other. At this point, I do control T and grab it to move the top copy and place it where I want it to be....over the spot I want to cover.

Of course, you can use the clone stamp tool. Select it by touching the 's' key. You have to enlarge/reduce the size of the stamp as needed (use control [ to reduce; control ] to enlarge). To choose what you want to copy, hold down the alt key and click on that spot then move to the bare spot of grass and click on it to place the good grass over that spot.

Hope this helps.
Adobe Photoshop 2014; CC; CS6, Lightroom 5.6, Premiere 11; Elements 11; Canon 70D; Canon EOS Digital Rebel T3i; Canon EF-S 18-55mm; Canon 55-250mm lens; Canon EF-70-300mm; Canon EFS 10-18mm Ultra Wide Angle lens; Canon EF-S60mm 1:2.8 USM macro lens.
Dell Studio XPS 9100, ATI Radeon HD5670 1 GB GDDR5, 1.5TB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM, 9GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz, Blu-ray 6X BD-R, DVD+/-RW Drive & 16X DVD+/-RW w/double layer write. Windows 7 (64)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by efarnstrom; May 27th, 2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

On the left you will find a tool call clone stamp it looks like a stamp. You can click on the clone stamp. Left click alt and then left click at the edge of the grass, then left click where you want it to copy use your left click and hold the button down and move it around it will dupicate from where you alt clicked. Not real good at explaining but hope this helps some.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JUDY windows 7 pro- cs5 on 64bit os

Old May 27th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Make a rough selection of the area you want to cover with the lasso tool(Irregular edges will blend better). Hover the mouse over the selection and click/hold to move the selection over the area you want to copy. ( you can skip this step and just select the copy area, but this is a little pearl for getting just the right size of selection). Go to select>feather and feather 2-5pixels(play around-want to smooth the transition so spend less time healing the edges). Then copy(control or command +c) and paste(control/command+v). Select the move tool and move the copied area over the area want to cover.

Old May 27th, 2008, 01:50 PM
New Forum User

Thanks for the suggestions! I will try tonight when I get home. I am use to Microsoft paint (VERY ashamed!!!!LOL)
I think my problem was not using the ALT key!
Thanks again! I am sure I will have more questions, as I play around with it!
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:46 AM
New Forum User

Ok I got it to work, now if only I could figure out that healing tool! Sometimes it works for me and sometimes not. I think I need a book, any good ones out there?
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Books: The Missing Manual by Barbara Brundage.
The book that got me started, back in the day of PSE version 2, was photoshop Elements 50 Ways to Create Cool Pictures, by David Huss.

Visit a big box bookstore if you have one nearby and browse. Sometimes and author "speaks" to you, and sometimes not. You may prefer a reference book (such as the Missing Manual) or a "recipe" book with a bunch of illustrated examples and step-by-step on how to get there (such as 50 ways...)

And welcome to the Village! Don't be shy about asking questions. Folks here are very helpful and kind.

~Val in sunny IL

Canon Rebel T3i
18-270mm Tamron Lens
Old May 28th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Healing brushes

Hi, welcome to the village.
You will like it here. Guaranteed!
The healing tool has two parts.
Hover over the tool to see which is which
The spot healing brush works great for small things like acne.
Size the brush to a little bigger than the spot and click once.
The healing brush needs you to select a spot to clone from.
You Alt+click the source and then click where you want to repair.

HTH
mks

-

PSE 5 & PSE 10 & CS 2 -Windows 7 Home Premium - Marie S

In order to experience your dreams you must believe they are necessary. ~ Gregg Chenoweth
Things won are done; the soul's joy lies in the doing. ~ Shakespeare
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:45 AM
New Forum User

Healing - Oh that ALT button again!!!! I really need to read up on this! Drives me crazy! LOL