Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old November 2nd, 2005, 07:49 PM
New Forum User

Could not complete your request because of a program error

All of a sudden I started getting an error, "Could not complete request because of a program error." when I try to use the pulldown menus (File, Edit, etc.). I'm using PSE 4.0.

I can't figure out what triggered this. I thought my preferences were corrupt so I tried re-creating them. I thought this fixed it initially but today it happened again and re-creating the preferences didn't make a difference.

Any ideas?
Old November 2nd, 2005, 07:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the Forums !

Try to disable your anti-virus while you work in PSE4. Disable your anti-virus, then reset the preferences, and use PSE. See if this helps.

Ray
Old November 3rd, 2005, 05:15 AM
New Forum User

Thanks for the suggestion but that didn't work either. In fact, re-creating the preferences isn't working at all.

I wish I could figure out what I installed or changed that could cause the problem. Everything was fine one minute and then all of a sudden I could access the pulldown menus. All other applications that I use work fine.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 05:26 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Rick ...

... and welcome to the forum

Can't you think of anything that you have done recently?

.. and when you deleted the prefs file did you use the shortcut or the file method ... if you used the shortcut did the pop up box come up OK and you were able to delete the settings?

Wendy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"

Old November 3rd, 2005, 06:35 AM
Senior Contributor

There's always the ultimate workaround : system restore. Click on Start / Programs / Accessories /*System tools /*System restore (or software restore).

Then click on restoring (the other choice is to create a new restore point). Follow the wizzard once there.

Pick a date before the problem occured.

Hope this helps !

Ray
Old November 4th, 2005, 03:39 PM
New Forum User

The system restore seemed to do the trick.

The best I can tell the cause was due to loading the wrong Wacom Tablet driver. I realized my mistake and immediately removed it and installed the correct driver but it still messes up PSE.

Thanks for the help,

Rick
Old November 4th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Normally, Wacom drivers don't disrupt Photoshop Elements. I've had a tablet with my Windows computer for years and now with my Mac and all is running smoothly.

Do you still get the same error message ?

Ray
Old November 5th, 2005, 05:56 AM
New Forum User

Everything is working now. Loading the wrong Wacom tablet driver and uninstalling it didn't fix the problem. Once I did a system restore prior to the initial Wacom driver install, all started working again.

I decided not to upgrade my Wacom tablet driver to the latest. The one I have is working just fine.
Old October 26th, 2006, 01:59 PM
New Forum User

I have recently downloaded the 30-day trial of PSE 5. I am getting this same error message any time I try to save a file in jpg format. All files are saving fine as png to preserve the layers, but any attempt to save in jpg is met with this error. Any advice? TIA.

Rebecca