Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old May 9th, 2008, 05:30 PM
New Forum User

Question take background off a picture?

I am new to PSE6 and would like to know how do I take the background out of a picture? leaving only the image of the person in the photo?
I started by file > open (then I chose the picture)
then I chose quick selention tool and click on the person
then I go to select > inverse, so the background is selected, after that I am stuck I don't know what to do with it, because I chose edit >cut or delete, and I get a white background, but I would like a transparent background so I can put in on a patterned paper for a digital scrapbook page, any help will be appreciated
thanks so much
Clemencia
Old May 9th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Senior Contributor

You have almost done everything right.

Simply, double click on the background layer name in the layer panel and then click OK. This turn the background layer into an editable layer. Now after making your selection with your weapon of choice, simply hit the DELETE key, and you should get a transparent background.

As an alternative, you can duplicate the background layer, and run your selection on the top layer. Click the eyeball icon of the Background Layer to make it invisible.

As always, you should only be working on a copy of your original photo.
Old May 9th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Clemencia,
First thing to do is control J to make sure you don't damage your original. Then turn of the eye on your background layer. Once you've got the background selected just press the back space key (windows). This will leave your figure clean. Now you can open a page with your pattern on it and then click on your cut out figure in the photo bin and then drag it down onto the pattern page in the photo bin. To drag use the move tool.
Hope this helps.
Kev.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dogs have masters, cats have servants.

Windows 7, PSE 9, PSP 12.
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Known Forum User

When you have a transparent background, you will actually see a checkerboard pattern.

Old May 10th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Frequent Contributor

I like to do a copy>paste to put the selection on its own layer rather than deleting the background. Then turn off the visibility of the background layer if you want to see the selection on its own. If you need to you can then adjust the selection and do a fresh copy paste very easily.

You could always paste it directly onto your new scrapbook page if you have that ready to go.
PS 6, Mac OS 9.2
PET Subscriber since July 2007

Old May 10th, 2008, 08:49 AM
New Forum User

thank you soooo much for all your help, your suggestions worked perfect!
awesome group of helpful people, thank you, thank you, thank you
I have lots more questions that I'll be posting soon
thanks again
Clemencia