Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old April 19th, 2008, 09:58 AM
New Forum User

Smile Cut Someone Out of Picture

If you have a photo that you like and just want to take an object or person out what is the best or easiest way to do this?
Old April 19th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi, and welcome.

It depends on the position of the person within the rest of the image, and the detail and busy-ness of your background.

If the person is somewhat removed from others, for example, the easiest way would be to use your crop tool.

Otherwise, cloning might be your best bet.

If you can post a copy of the image, we can give you more ideas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Rebel T3i
18-270mm Tamron Lens
Old April 19th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi ...

... and welcome to the Village

It really is a lot easier if we can see the image ...

Wendy

"

Old April 19th, 2008, 10:56 AM
New Forum User

Smile cutting someone out of picture

I dont have a picture to show for an example I just wandered how to cut someone or an object out of a picture. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old April 26th, 2008, 04:36 AM
New Forum User

If you want really superb results, look at this video
Old July 29th, 2010, 11:09 AM
New Forum User

Hello,

I need some help cutting someone out of a picture.
I have attached it. I want the blond girl in the light blue top and jean out of the picture. Can someone tell me how to do this????????
Thanks!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (51.0 KB, 115 views)
Old July 29th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Make a selection with the rectangular marquee tool of the left side of the image. The rightmost edge of the selection area should cut thru the girl to be removed, just to the right of the leftmost girls knee.

Hit CTRL J to put that selection on its own layer. All edits will be done on this new layer.

Select the Move tool and move the portion of that image on that new layer to the right as far as needed (use the right cursor key), you can always make more subtle adjustments later.

Using the Eraser tool, carefully erase the remaining parts of the "offending" girl from the layer, revealing the layer underneath. If you are proficient with the Magnetic Lasso tool or other selection tools, you can do a selection of parts and hit Delete, and then do "clean up" with the Eraser Brush.

The most difficult problem will be to recolor the "blue" drink glass in the hand of the leftmost girl, since it will now be in front of the girl in the black shirt, and therfore should not be blue, rather it should be black. I would suggest trying to erase all but the thin edges of the glass.

When done, re-crop the image using the Crop tool.
Sony Vaio AW120J w/ Vista x64
Lenovo IdeaPad Netbook U150 w/ Windows 7 x64
CS5, LR3, PSE6
Plug-ins by Topaz Labs, Nik, onOne, Alien Skin, AutoFX, etc.
HDR by Photomatix Pro

Last edited by Jeff Perry; July 29th, 2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old July 29th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mark View Post
If you want really superb results, look at this video
But you need to have purchased OnOne Essentials to follow this video!

Bayla

and

Old July 29th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgiessen View Post
Hello,

I need some help cutting someone out of a picture.
I have attached it. I want the blond girl in the light blue top and jean out of the picture. Can someone tell me how to do this????????
Thanks!!
It can be done with a little work if you have PSE 8. Use the recompose tool and mark the girl to be removed and then recompose. You will then have to do some cloning and cropping to make the photo look good. It just takes some time and a little work and practice to get it done.
Tina B

Old July 29th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I decided to give this a try.

My approach is similar to Jeff's but what I did was:

1. First clone out the person in question, using the background (wall) color and leaving a wall space between the person to remain and the rest of the group.

2. Then the Rectangular Marquee Tool for selection of the person remaining on the right side of the photo. Ctrl J to put the selection on its own layer. Then the Selection Tools to make a good selection around the person remaining, around her left side...deleted out her background on her left side.

3. With Move Tool, moved her over to join the group. Used the Crop Tool (picture ratio) to finalize the image.

This is what it looked like when I got finished.

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pi...PJZGnuXpxryOg0

ATR

Reflecting on what I posted, there is one area of the window that could need some more work.

I tried again.
http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pi...uj8m4v7eOpnMT0

But I need to go talk to Bayla in another post in this thread. She thinks that I removed the wrong person.

Last edited by ATR; July 29th, 2010 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Add On