Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old April 16th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Need help bringing life into picture

This is the center of a photomerge and I need help bringing some light into it. Tried Screen and Lighten, but that didnt seem to work. Many thanks. Jean

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSE 5.0 and 11.0 on PC with Windows 7
Old April 16th, 2008, 04:29 PM

The problem is the tones are all bunched up in the middle. You need to use Levels to spread them out by moving the sliders in to the edge of the histogram. Another way is to open in Camera Raw (if you have a recent version with an updated Camera Raw) and play with the sliders. Here's what I got quickly - maybe overkill but gives you an idea of what can be done - I also added a Blue Photo Filter to give it a bit more colour.

Tony
Old April 16th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Tony: That is 100% better. But I dont know about Camera Raw. I am using 5.0 (I always forget to mention that). Where is the blue photo filter. You have certainly helped. Will I ever learn everything in 5.0? Jean

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old April 16th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Jean,

The histogram showed very little on the right so I just tried a simple levels adjustment on it which brightened it considerably and made the greens pop more...

Bayla

EDIT: Tony still types more quickly than me!!

and

Old April 16th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Senior Contributor

I decided to give it a try. Duplicated it a few times, levels adjustment, highlights and shadows adjustment,brightness and contrast.

Old April 16th, 2008, 05:30 PM

Jean: Don't worry about Camera Raw - I only mentioned it as it's the way I like to do it (there have been a few threads on opening JPEGS with Camera Raw that explain how to do it). Like Bayla says Levels will do it although you might also want to try Shadows/Highlights as that sometimes also helps. Photo Filter is best used as an Adjustment Layer (Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Photo Filter) Pick a Filter from the drop down (I used Deep Blue) and adjust the Density to taste. It's a good way to add a bit of extra colour when the original is missing something.

Tony
Old April 16th, 2008, 08:30 PM
New Forum User

You could use Render, Lighting Effects to do something a little more dramatic with the scene, like:
Attached Images
File Type: gif 1HD0ZYWwd2cnQmDeq6QbjF5YSLT_thumb.gif (11.2 KB, 20 views)
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks all, I will put the three photos together as a panorama and try all the suggestions. Jean