Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Photography Discussions > Photography Equipment

Old April 2nd, 2008, 06:39 AM
Known Forum User

Shooting Raw

I'm wondering if anyone makes a point and shoot that shoots in raw. I'm not actually in the market as yet, just getting my ducks in a row if you know what I mean. I have a Canon Rebel XT, but also like to carry a small point and shoot in my purse for everyday use. Right now I'm using a Canon PowerShot 560, which I just purchased about 6 months ago. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 07:46 AM
New Forum User

Raw point and Shoot

Take a look at Canon G9, Panasonic Lumix FZ8, FZ18.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 07:47 AM
Frequent Contributor

Most companies now are making their Point & Shoot cameras with Raw capabilities, such as Canon, Fuji, Sigma, Olympus & so on...Just make sure you check the tech details online or on the package when your ready to make the purchase because not all new models of those said brands will have the Raw shooting capabilities.
I know I saw a consumer rating chart on new Point & Shoots with full tech specs, I just can't remember where I saw it but I'll post a link when I find it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rob's new website

Old April 2nd, 2008, 08:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Rob, Canon is going in a different direction. They've eliminated RAW on all their current point-and-shoot models except the G9. Belief is that Canon wants to push everyone to buy their DSLR's, which are more profitable, so they're reducing 'pro' features on P&S. Too bad...but that's business.

LR5, PSE10, CS6, Canon, Fuji, iMac
Old April 2nd, 2008, 10:02 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S. View Post
Rob, Canon is going in a different direction. They've eliminated RAW on all their current point-and-shoot models except the G9. Belief is that Canon wants to push everyone to buy their DSLR's, which are more profitable, so they're reducing 'pro' features on P&S. Too bad...but that's business.
Thanks Chuck, I just saw that after I posted that Makes a lot of sense

Rob's new website

Old April 2nd, 2008, 11:20 AM
Known Forum User

Add RAW Capabilities To Low-End Canon Cameras

Interesting, looks like there might be a way to beat the system.

The Link

Don

Old April 2nd, 2008, 11:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Don, it works! I've added RAW capability to an older Canon P&S (S3 IS). It's a little clunky, but it gets it done.

Old April 2nd, 2008, 11:32 AM
Known Forum User

How cool, I love it! It says there is a game in the upgrade? I would give a buck to see someone playing "Tetris" on their camera in public. I can imagine people mumbling "poor chap should have got himself a Nikon".
Do you have to boot it up each time?

Don

Old April 2nd, 2008, 02:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Don, the firmware override resides on the SD card and can be set up to self-boot the RAW capability each time the camera starts up. That's how I set it up. Of course, if you use another SD card, you have to put the hack on it as well. For now, I'm just playing, so one card is enough.

Old April 10th, 2008, 08:24 AM
New Forum User

Don, many thanks for bringing this to my attention. This is opening all kinds of doors for my Canon SD800IS, which I loved anyway. As much as I prowl the internet on the subject, I am flabbergasted that this is the first time I've learned CHDK (including RAW, exposure bracketing, etc.) is available not just for the G7, but a bunch of other lesser Canon P&S's.

And so far , it seems to work terrific......not even all that clunky.

-- Mike