Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old March 27th, 2008, 04:35 PM
New Forum User

making pictures black and white with only certain things in color

i need help learning how to make only certain items in my photos in color and the rest in black and whit i have photoshop elements 6
Old March 27th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Enlightened Elder

Hi ...

... and welcome to the Village

If you are a subscriber to PET then there are a couple of tutorials on this effect in the Subscriber Area>Tutorials

Wendy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"

Old March 27th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Known Forum User

Tisha - if your not a subscriber it is very worthwhile to join. If you are not yet a subscriber their are 82 threads that come up under "selective coloring" when you search this site. Some of them have links to other site's tutorials.

Do what you love; love what you do.
Old March 27th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Here's a quick one:

1) Open your picture.
2) Click the "Create Adjustment Layer" icon (it is the half black/half white circle.
3) Select "Hue/Saturation"
4) Move the Saturation slider all the way to the Left (a value = -100) You should have a B/W picture.
5) Select a brush tool
6) Type the letter "D" to set your foreground and back ground colors to Black and White (the D means Default)
7) Make sure the Hue/Saturation layer is selected, and with Black as your color, paint over the areas you want the color to appear. If you make a mistake, with white as your color selected, paint what you want to be B/W again.

Hope this helps.

;

;

Photoshop Elements 8 and 9 / Photoshop CS4/5 / Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 / Picasa / Toshiba Satellite / Windows XP
Kodak Z650 / Kodak Professional 1400 Digital Photo Printer / Canon MX870 Printer
Canon XSi and Canon T3i
Old March 27th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Casual Forum User

I did this a while back. Hope this can be of help. It's just another way.

I'm not much of a fan of selective color. However it seems that mommies and grandmas are, especially around Valentines when grandchildren are involved.

My daughter asked if I knew how to do selective color. Since there is usually more than one way to accomplish something in PhotoShop I figured I would try a technique that I just learned in a local PhotoShop class. (I've not been too successful with other methods.)

The images and steps for this tutorial were accomplished in PhotoShop Elements 5.

These photos are followed by links to a tutorial I did. Feel free to download the gum drops image and the text file. The tutorial is written in Microsoft WORKS Home Edition. The file extension is .wps.

The Color Gum Drops

http://mail.zipnet.us:7080/users/1lucian@zipnet.us/w-gum-drops.jpg

The tutorial written in Microsoft Works

http://mail.zipnet.us:7080/users/1lucian@zipnet.us/tut-selective-color.wps
Old March 28th, 2008, 01:45 AM
New Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvera00 View Post
Here's a quick one:

1) Open your picture.
2) Click the "Create Adjustment Layer" icon (it is the half black/half white circle.
3) Select "Hue/Saturation"
4) Move the Saturation slider all the way to the Left (a value = -100) You should have a B/W picture.
5) Select a brush tool
6) Type the letter "D" to set your foreground and back ground colors to Black and White (the D means Default)
7) Make sure the Hue/Saturation layer is selected, and with Black as your color, paint over the areas you want the color to appear. If you make a mistake, with white as your color selected, paint what you want to be B/W again.

Hope this helps.
I'd have to say that this is probably the best way to do it in PE 6. masks are very useful because they dont affect the actual image.

Another way is to use the magic wand tool, select the color you want to keep, (tweak the selection if needed), inverse the selection, and then convert that to B&W
EDIT: you may want to duplicate the layer before you edit, so as not to damage the original pic. (for the magic wand method)

Thanks

Last edited by ElementsFTW; March 28th, 2008 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old March 28th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi ...

Can I just ask that you don't post large sized images in the threads ... it causes all sorts of problems for people who are on dial up.

Best way is just to add clickable thumbnails ..

Thanks
Wendy

"

Old April 1st, 2008, 08:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Yet another way for selective coloring

Tisha102388, yet another way to selectively color a B&W photo using the original colors is to...

1) duplicate the background layer
2) convert the new background copy layer (the one on the top) to B&W using your preferred technique
3) while still on the top layer, choose the eraser tool, pick a suitable brush size and shape, and selectively erase the B&W portions of the top image to expose the underlying color image.

This is a "destructive" technique and yes, while there are non-destructive variations that use masks, they are often confusing to many new users. This technique is pretty straight forward and understandable.

And, if you do erase something you decide you want to put back in (to B&W) simply "undo".

Obviously, if you want to use colors that are different than the original, then this technique is of far less value.

Jeff