Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:12 PM
Casual Forum User

PSE 6 Install instructions

I'm putting together a comprehensive set of instructions for installing presets and actions into PSE 3 through 6. I think I have 3 through 5 pretty well covered, but I know there are changes with v.6. Can anyone tell me how patterns and brushes, specifically, are done? I'll copy my current install instructions here, and feel free to let me know if anything is incorrect. Thanks so much!

INSTALLING PRESETS PSE3/4/5

NOTE: Please make sure you change your settings to VIEW HIDDEN FILES before proceeding.

The following are considered "presets" and they are all in the same area of the program files.

Brushes are xxx.abr
Color Swatches are xxx.aco
Custom Shapes are xxx.csh
Gradients are xxx.grd
Patterns are xxx.pat
Styles are xxx.asl
Textures are xxx.jpg

To Install BRUSHES into PSE3/4/5:

1. Make sure PSE is closed.

2. Locate your brush file. It should have the .abr file extension. Copy this file.

3. Paste your .abr file into the following directory: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\Presets\Brushes

4. Start PSE.

5. To use your brush, click on the Brush Tool.

6. A list of your brushes will appear when you click the down arrow in the Brush Preview Box. Your new brushes should be listed there.

To Install STYLES into PSE3/4/5:

2. Locate your style file. It should have the .asl file extension. Copy this file.

3. Paste your .asl file into the following directory: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\Presets\Styles

4. Start PSE.

5. You can now access your styles in the styles palette.

To Install PATTERNS into PSE3/4/5:

2. Locate your pattern file. It should have the .pat file extension. Copy this file.

3. Paste your .pat file into the following directory: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\Presets\Patterns

4. Start PSE.

5. To use your brush, click on the Brush Tool.

6. Your patterns will now be available wherever patterns are an option (including fill and layer effects).

INSTALLING PRESETS PSE6

To Install STYLES into PSE6:

2. Locate your style file. It should have the .asl file extension. Copy this file.

3. Paste your .asl file into the following directory:
C:\Documents & Setting\All Users|Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Locale\en-US\Photo Creations\Layer Styles

Vista Users: C:\Program Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Locale\ en-US\Photo Creations\Layer Styles

4. Locate the .xml file included with your style. Copy this file.

5. Paste your .xml file into the following directory:
C:\Documents & Setting\All Users|Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Locale\en-US\Photo Creations Metadata\Layer Styles

Vista Users: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Locale\en-US\Photo Creations Metadata\Layer Styles

6. Start PSE.

7. You can now access your styles in the styles palette under SHOW ALL.

(If your new styles do not show up at this point, you can try the following. Go to the following directory, find the file MediaDatabase.bd3 then rename it MediaDatabaseOLD.bd3.
C: Documents & Setting\All Users|Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Locale\en-US

INSTALLING ACTIONS

To Install Actions into PSE 3:

2. Locate your action files. You should have one or more .atn files and a .psd file for your action.

3. Copy the .atn file(s) and the .psd file into the following directory: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 3.0\Previews\Effects

4. Clear the effects cache. Donít worry, it will rebuild when you restart Elements. Do this by going to this directory: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements3.0\Previews\Cache\Effects Cache. Then, delete these three files: CatagoryCache.che, ListCache.che, and ThumbNailCache.che

5. Next, clear the filters cache. Do this by going to the following directory: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 3.0\Previews\Cache\Filters Cache. Delete these three files:
CatagoryCache.che, ListCache.che, and ThumbNailCache.che. These will be rebuilt when you restart Elements.

6. Now youíre ready to restart Elements.

7. Youíll find your newly loaded actions in the Styles and Effects palette.

To Install Actions into PSE 4:

2. Navigate to your program files folder (generally found on your hard drive)

3. Open the Adobe folder, the PSE folder within that, then finally the Previews folder.

4. Open the folder labeled effects. You should see three folders: cache, effects and filters.

5. Create a new folder (right click, Create New>Folder) for each action. Label to make them easy to find.

6. Copy all actions (ends in .atn) and previews (ends in .psd) from your download. Do not copy any text files (directions for use/installation).

7. Paste into your newly created folder.

8. Navigate back out to the preview folder. You should be back at the same three folders: cache, effects and filters.

9. Open the cache folder, and the effects folder within that.

10. Delete all contents of the cache folder. This ensures that your program will recognize that you have loaded new actions.

11. Start up PSE and go! Have fun with your new actions!

To Install Actions into PSE 5:

2. Navigate to: C:\DocumentsandSettings\allusers\application data\adobe\PhotoshopElements\5.0\PhotoCreations\Sp ecial Effects\PhotoEffects\

3. Create a new folder for each action.

4. Rename each of the thumbnail images (.psd files) to thumbs.psd.

5. Copy all actions (ends in .atn) and "thumbs" files from your download. Do not copy any text files (directions for use/installation).

6. Paste into your newly created folder.

7. Start up PSE and go! Have fun with your new actions!

To Install Actions into PSE 6:

2. Navigate to: C:\DocumentsandSettings\allusers\application data\adobe\PhotoshopElements\5.0\PhotoCreations\Sp ecial Effects\PhotoEffects\

4. If your thumbnail images are not provided as PNG files, you must open them and resave them as PNGs.

5. Copy all actions (ends in .atn) and "thumbs" files from your download. Do not copy any text files (directions for use/installation).

6. Paste into your newly created folder.

For PSE5/VISTA OS users:

1. If you are installing your PSE 5 from XP to VISTA, first go to the Adobe.com website and get the "502patcher.exe" download, run and install the download.

2. Path for VISTA to install Actions in PSE 5:
C:/ProgramData/Adobe/PhotoshopElements/5.0/PhotoCreations/SpecialEffects/PhotoEffects

For PSE6/VISTA OS users:

1. Instead of a PSD file, you must include a PNG file. Open the PSD thumbnail file that came with your action, save it as a PNG. Make sure the layer name and the filename are the same as the action name with the exception of the extension.

2. Put the action and the PNG image that represents the action in this folder:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\PhotoshopElements\6.0\PhotoCr eations\ImageEffects
Old January 21st, 2008, 06:47 PM
New Forum User

I am using PSE6.0 with Vista. I am following your instructions for installing styles ( I have so many custom shapes, brushes and styles from an older PSE) I do not know where to find the .xml file that comes with the styles to finish one of the steps. I am supposed to copy that in to a metadatabase. Where do I find these .xml files.........are these the files that show a small icon of the choices within a style group? Sure wish they hadn't made this so difficult. Putting new design elements in PSE 4 was a snap!
Old January 21st, 2008, 06:57 PM
Enlightened Elder

Hi ...

... and welcome to the Village

Try this thread ... it may help

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forum...d.php?p=351445

Wendy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"

Old January 24th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Casual Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyzine View Post
INSTALLING ACTIONS

To Install Actions into PSE 6:
I've tried the actions instructions in PSE6 and revised them below...

2. Navigate to: C:\DocumentsandSettings\allusers\application data\adobe\PhotoshopElements\6.0\PhotoCreations\Sp ecial Effects\Photo Effects\

4. If your thumbnail images are not provided as PNG files, you must open them and resave them as PNGs. Make sure they have the same name as your actions.

5. Copy all actions (ends in .atn) and "thumbs" files (.png) from your download. Do not copy any text files (directions for use/installation).

6. Paste into the Photo Effects folder

Old January 24th, 2008, 11:10 PM
New Forum User

Hi all.. I am new here and have a question.

I'm trying to install some actions in PSE 6. (Just got it 2 days ago.. my first experience with photoshop!! ) I'm following the instructions:

Navigate to: C:\DocumentsandSettings\allusers\application data\adobe\PhotoshopElements\5.0\PhotoCreations\Sp ecial Effects\PhotoEffects\

I go to allusers and there is no "application data" to choose. What am I doing wrong? I'm not computer illiterate, so I am frustrated with the fact that I can't follow this instructions.

Any help would be appreciated!!!
Thanks
Old January 24th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Casual Forum User

It may be a hidden folder
Old January 24th, 2008, 11:27 PM
New Forum User

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!
Old January 25th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Casual Forum User

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshanhun View Post
I've tried the actions instructions in PSE6 and revised them below...

2. Navigate to: C:\DocumentsandSettings\allusers\application data\adobe\PhotoshopElements\6.0\PhotoCreations\Sp ecial Effects\Photo Effects\

4. If your thumbnail images are not provided as PNG files, you must open them and resave them as PNGs. Make sure they have the same name as your actions.

5. Copy all actions (ends in .atn) and "thumbs" files (.png) from your download. Do not copy any text files (directions for use/installation).

6. Paste into the Photo Effects folder

Old February 18th, 2008, 04:54 PM
New Forum User

When I look at my layer styles I only have .asl files. Where do I get or make .xml files? I followed the link but didn't understand it I guess. I need very basic instructions. I've owned PSE6 since it first came out but can't get it to work - and I've owned PSE 2-5 and used them easily. I'm also using Vista... thanks for any help!
Old February 18th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Enlightened Elder

Hi ...

You have to create the xml files if you want then to appear in their own category ..

This thread should help

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forum...ad.php?t=33219

Wendy

"