Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old December 31st, 2007, 12:08 PM
Casual Forum User

Portraits

I was at the mall the other day and ran across some portraits on display. Have you all ever heard of multiple portrait panel or muli image composite portraits? If so please tell me how you would make one. There were a few of them and I just LOVED the way they looked with small kids.

Thanks
Karen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 31st, 2007, 12:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Karen,

Do you mean like when you have five or six different poses of the same child on a panel? I've seen it done like that with a white background. Should be easy to do in PSE. You'd need to select the child out of photos and then place them on a background. (I'm not very good at explaining, I just know that that's how I'd go about it!)

Bayla

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Old December 31st, 2007, 02:05 PM
Casual Forum User

yes that's exactly what I mean. So you start with a white blank background? Then what? Sorry I've never done that before and I just loved the way they looked. That's why I want to make sure I get every detail on how to do it.

Thank you so much for responding to me
Karen

Old December 31st, 2007, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Karen, I think this is what you mean.
There may be other ways of doing what you want, but an easy way is as follows:

1. Begin with selecting the photos that are to be used. It would help if you can adjust them all to be the same size and resolution (recommend 300dpi). This will make the final sizing easier for you. Also try to adjust them so that they all sort of match in color and contrast.

2. Create a document to the finished size you want at 300dpi (5x7, 8x10, 11x14).

3. It would help if you did a trial sample of what size photos will fit comfortably on the final panel.

4. An easy way would be to draw a circle, on your final panel, with the elliptical marquee tool to the size you think your portraits should be. Fill it with a light color.

5. Duplicate it as many times as the photos you will be using. If they donít fit comfortably try reducing the circle and repeat the duplicating until you determine the size and position that will accommodate the photos you have chosen. Keep these on one layer so that they can be deleted later.

6. Leave these circles in place as a guide for your photos.

7. Now vignette all your photos and drag them one at time onto the panel and position per the circles on the panel. Adjust the size to fit. Keep each photo on a separate layer so that you can move them to adjust the layout.

8. Delete the circle layer when your done.

If you need additional help post back, someone may be able to simplify it a little more.
Old December 31st, 2007, 06:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Karen,

I was envisaging something like this:

It depends on the photos you want to use & how good your selection skills are. But it is definitely doable in PSE.

Let us know how you get on and don't forget to post when you succeed!!

Bayla

and

Old December 31st, 2007, 09:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Bayla, that's terrific! I'd like to try something like that with my forever-in-motion youngest grandchild!
Canon Pro9000 printer; Epson Perfection 2580 Photo scanner
Canon Digital Rebel XSi, 75-300mm IS lens, 28-135mm IS lens, 60mm macro lens, a set of extender rings, AND a 70-200 L lens
Nikon Coolpix P100
and an iphone that I'm learning to use

Old January 1st, 2008, 01:22 AM
Senior Contributor

That is really neat. So many possibilitys.

JUDY windows 7 pro- cs5 on 64bit os

Old January 1st, 2008, 03:46 AM
Senior Contributor

I have to add it's not my work! I was surfing the net and came across it and just wanted to show Denise what I had in mind. Can't even remember where I found it

Bayla

and

Old January 1st, 2008, 09:29 AM
Casual Forum User

Bayla that's exactly what I'm looking to do. As a matter of fact that's the picture that gave me inspiration for this project. Thank you. Frank thank you so much for taking the time to tell me how to do this. Is this what you had in mind as well?

Thanks again
Karen

Old January 1st, 2008, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Fyi

A multiple image treatment I did 3 years ago.