Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old October 10th, 2005, 09:04 AM
New Forum User

REDUCE NOISE (GRAIN) AFTER HIGH ISO

These volleyball shots seem to be a bit grainy to me. I know it is because of the higher ISO setting. I need advice on how to get rid of it, I cannot reduce the ISO, in fact I need to increase it. They were all shot with the Canon 20D, Canon macro EF 100mm 2.8 USM, no flash, horrible gym lights (all kinds!), ISO 800, RAW, 1/250 @ f2.8 which made them underexposed. Using Canon EOS DIGITAL Software I moved the digital exposure up about 1 stop (some more, some less). In Photoshop Elements 3.0 my workflow goes something like this:
filter>noise>reduce noise> strength 6>preserve details 100>reduce color noise 35%
filter>sharpen>unsharp mask>amount 108%>radius>.6>threshold 1

Any suggestions anyone may have on this workflow or these settings is greatly appreciated. I have yet to print any of these images so I do not know how noticeable the grain will be on paper. Thanks in advance for your help.

[/img]
Old October 10th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi there ...

... and welcome to the forum

That is very similar to the way I do noise reduction so I can't suggest much more than you are doing at the moment. Before you do look to change anything I really would try printing out and just see how noticeable it is in print ..

... Ummm 20D sounds nice !!

Wendy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"

Old October 10th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor

To begin, if there's one digital does very good is showing the various problems with an image. Usually, a very small percentage of these problems will show up on the printout, though.

One way I have found in Scott Kelby's Photoshop CS book for digital photographer involves the use of a command non-existent in PSE, which is Fade. Basically, you apply a gaussian blur to the image untill all the noise is gone. Then, go to Edit / Fade Gaussian Blur, change the mode to colour and slide towards the left until the desired result is acheived.

I have not been able to duplicate this method for Photoshop Elements (I have limited time because I need to fix lunch).

Perhaps Wendy will be able to help from here..

Ray
Old October 10th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Enlightened Elder

Ummm ...

You could try :

Duplicate the image
Apply Gaussian blur to the duplicate
Then play around with the opacity of the duplicate layer ...

Not sure if it will work or not but its worth a try

Wendy

"

Old October 10th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

I tried it with changing the blending mode, but something is missing here. I trie colour, overlay, screen, etc. Nothing gave satisfactory results.

Ray.. running now!
Old October 10th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Enlightened Elder

Ray ...

I just tried it too and can't get anything to work

Sorry about that ... looks like there isn't a workaround

Wendy

"

Old October 10th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't have his books about Photoshop Elements, unfortunately. Perhaps someone does and could help here.

I've checked in The Missing Manual and the author suggest that the RAW convert does a decent job at removing noise. If you shot RAW, perhaps you could start there and complete your work with the converted image with your previous workflow?

Also, she mentions Neat Image and I remember that it's often suggested. It's a third party solution for removing noise. I have no clue what it cost, where it's available, how it works. I just know many people like it a lot. So you could try the demo and see if it solves your issue.

Ray
Old October 10th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Wagonwheel, I believe there are many of us parents who have run across the horrid lighting in school gyms!! It seems like every photo taken in a school gym needs to be worked on! Very frustrating indeed. Maybe our cameras need another setting "poor gym lighting". :lol:

Old October 10th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi,
In his book Elements 3 for Digital Photographers recommends this as a way of removing noise.

1 Make a copy of your original.
2 Filter Blur Gaussian blur. Drag the radius slider all the way to the left, then start dragging to the right until the noise is blurred enough so that you can't see it. Click OK.
3 Change the Blend mode from Normal to Colour.

Check your image and see what you think.

Hope this helps.
Kev.

Dogs have masters, cats have servants.

Windows 7, PSE 9, PSP 12.
Old October 10th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Kev ...

We have just tried that but on the images I tried it on it didn't seem to make a great deal of difference. I think that it all depends on the individual image

Wendy

"