Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Photography Discussions > Photography Equipment

Old March 13th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Another Canon lens that's popular is the 17-85 mm zoom. Some recent reviews have been a little tepid, but it sure does have a following. It's in the $500 range ($450-$520 lately). 5-to-1 zoom and a decent wide angle at 17 mm (equivalent of 28 mm in film SLR).

LR5, PSE10, CS6, Canon, Fuji, iMac
Old March 16th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Known Forum User

The big difference between the two lenses is light gathering ability...the 17-40mm is a faster lens. It is an L lens which is Canon's higher grade of lens. It focuses down to 11"
The 17-85mm has IS which almost makes up for the slower speed, it has a longer reach and it focuses down to 13.8"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 20th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Casual Forum User

Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS lens

Forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place.

I'm about to buy a DSLR, and have decided on the Canon EOS Rebel XSi, partly because of the size and weight--it's the one that feels comfortable in my hands (and it gets good reviews). It comes in a kit with the EF-S 18-55mm IS lens, but a very accomplished photographer friend is advising against that particular lens. Instead, he's recommending a 17-85 mm lens, which is much more expensive.

I've been reading the thread on walking around lenses, and have noted the favourites mentioned there. What I'd like to know is, does anyone have any experience of the Canon 18-55 mm lens? I've read mixed reviews.
Thanks for any advice.
AGG
Old November 20th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariangela View Post
Forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place.

I'm about to buy a DSLR, and have decided on the Canon EOS Rebel XSi, partly because of the size and weight--it's the one that feels comfortable in my hands (and it gets good reviews). It comes in a kit with the EF-S 18-55mm IS lens, but a very accomplished photographer friend is advising against that particular lens. Instead, he's recommending a 17-85 mm lens, which is much more expensive.

I've been reading the thread on walking around lenses, and have noted the favourites mentioned there. What I'd like to know is, does anyone have any experience of the Canon 18-55 mm lens? I've read mixed reviews.
Thanks for any advice.
AGG

I own the Canon XSi, but I got the kit lens. I do not have the 17-85 lens. From what I know of Canon lenses, you would be very happy with the 17-85 lens. Canon lenses (like Nikon) are top quality.

I am sure someone else will be along to add more about the 17-85 lens.

Canon 60D * Canon XSi
Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 f4-6.3 IS USM * Canon 580EX II
PSE10 / PSE11
Windows 7 Home Premium - i7
Old November 20th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Casual Forum User

I bought my XSI back in May, and the kit lens was the 18-55, however I worked a deal with the supplier and got the 17-85 instead. I am very pleased with the results. I can't speak to the 18-55 as I have no experience with it nor do I know of anyone using it.
Old November 20th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I should have added my kit lens (18-55) has been very good. There are times I wish it had a slight bit more zoom.

Canon 60D * Canon XSi
PSE10 / PSE11
Old November 20th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Casual Forum User

Lenses

I don't have experience with either but certainly there is an advantage to the longer range of focal length of the 17-85. That size will do a lot of things. Is it a faster lense than the 18-55? To me that is becoming the most important factor as I see the limitations of some of my lense and wish they had a better aperature.

You might check on lense reviews at http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/.
Old November 20th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

I got the XSi with the 18-55 IS and I think it's a great lens for the cost. I think it only added about $100 to the price when purchased with the body. The only thing I've seen to complain about is some chromatic abberation when shooting trees against a bright sky. I'll see if I can dig up some examples and I'll post them here later.

Canon Rebel XTi and Canon Rebel XSi
20" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro
PSE6, CS3, Lightroom
Old November 20th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Casual Forum User

Thanks, everyone, for taking the trouble to respond, and for pointing me towards another site that has reviews. I have to admit that now I'm totally confused, but maybe once I sleep on it things will become more clear. At least the choice of camera was easy, as I'm moving from a Canon S2 IS. That camera has kept me happy for the last few years, so it seemed logical to stick with Canon.

What a helpful group of people Elements Villagers are!
AGG
Old November 21st, 2008, 02:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Since you are convinced you want the Canon XSi (and I do not blame you!) I would like to suggest you get the DVD called Canon Rebel XSi Crash Course. I have this DVD, and HIGHLY recommend it! Michael Andrews does an excellent job of teaching you not only about how to use the camera, and every button and feature that there is, there is also included a crash course on basic photography!

There are 2 short sample videos on his website so you can see what he is like.

His website is not secure, so I emailed him. He sent me an email that I could pay him thru paypal.

His video is very good! I am glad I got it.

Canon 60D * Canon XSi
PSE10 / PSE11