Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Photography Discussions > Photography Techniques

Old November 16th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Known Forum User

Smile Depth of Field Assignment

OK, everyone, how about an assignment?
-Take your camera and ALL of your lenses and find a scene that has something in it from near to far so you have something to compare the DOF. In other words, you need a foreground, middle ground and background.
-Set up your tripods and attach your cameras.
-Then take each lens you own and shoot the scene cycling through all the aperture settings in one stop increments (2.8, 4.0, 5.6, 8.0, 11, 16, 22, etc).
-If you have zoom lenses do the same thing at both the widest focal length and again at the longest.
-Focus approx 1/3 into the scene. Do this with each of your lenses wide through tele.
-Download your images and compare the DOF in each image at the varying apertures and focal lengths.
-Shoot all images from the exact same location for this assignment so that one thing is constant.
I think you will find this to be very enlightening in how depth of field works.
Have a great weekend!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lexcell; November 16th, 2007 at 05:44 PM.
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Laurie, thanks. Was planning on going to the park on the river this weekend with my dog (and husband too!) so I'll have to try this out. Great assignment and maybe it'll help me.
EF 100mm/f2.8 Macro USM
50mm f/1.4 USM

Old November 16th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Casual Forum User

Thanks Laurie for the Depth of Field assignment. Found the ideal field with a fence around it. Just hope the farmer don't mind me using a tranquilizer gun on his cows. GeoR

Windows Vista-Elements 5-6 & CS3
Nikon D 40X
Old November 16th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL on that one! I can just picture it now!
EF 100mm/f2.8 Macro USM
50mm f/1.4 USM

Old November 17th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm always afraid to change lenses outside. How to I change them without having something blow into my camera?
EF 100mm/f2.8 Macro USM
50mm f/1.4 USM

Old November 17th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Frequent Contributor

Lightbulb Lens changing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkeevers View Post
I'm always afraid to change lenses outside. How to I change them without having something blow into my camera?
It is not perfect, but here is what I do:

1/ With a flat surface at hand take the cap off of the back end of the lens you are going to mount. Stand it up on the front lens cap.

2/ Point you camera down and remove the old lens. Stand it up on the front lens cap.

3/ Keeping the camera pointed down, mount the new lens.

4/ Cap the old lens.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Personal website:

My PET Gallery:

My EV Gallery:

Old November 17th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks. I usually point the camera down too but didn't know if anyone did anything different.
EF 100mm/f2.8 Macro USM
50mm f/1.4 USM

Old November 18th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Known Forum User

I simply change lenses...
I point away from the wind and make sure that I have the lens I want to attach ready then I take the lens off the camera, and attach the new lens. I deal with lens caps after attaching the lens since I don't want to leave the camera exposed for any longer than I have to.

In te digital age, dust on the sensor is a fact of life. However, dust is not the only issue...every time you chagne lenses, regardless of inside or out, there are little metal/plastic shavings from the metal/plastic of the lens rubbing against the camera body that get into the mirror box and get on the sensor.

At some point you will have to clean your sensor. I have to clean my sensor almost nightly when I am out shooting all day, changing lenses, etc.

Here is an excellent tutorial for cleaning your sensor:
http://www.moosepeterson.com/techtips/cleanccd.html

It is important to have the correct tools for the job. Once you have done it a time or two, you lose the fear...honestly.

Old November 18th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Laurie, thanks for the info and the website. I will definitely order that!

Now I won't worry if I change lenses. I've always heard stories from everyone about making sure it's in a bag or etc., etc. I alway point mine away from wind and down so I think I'm okay. I've cleaned mine once since I've had it. But I still have a small light dot at the top which I can't seem to see so maybe the kit will help!
EF 100mm/f2.8 Macro USM
50mm f/1.4 USM

Old November 18th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Known Forum User

B&H also sells the Visible dust Products and if you are a member of NAPP, they have free three day shipping.
I don;t believe Moose mentions the sensor loupe in his tutorial...it came out later. It's a really cool loupe that has lights so you can actually "seee" the dust on your sensor. Well worth the cost.