Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Photography Discussions > Photography Techniques

Old November 8th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Understanding Exposure - Ready for Chapter 3?

Is our group still together and ready to move on to Chapter 3?

Chapter 3 is Shutter Speed and my suggestion is to take two weeks and do the entire chapter. That would be Nov 9th to the 22nd inclusive, which includes two weekends. How does that sound to you Colleen - everybody?

I thought it might be fruitful and fun to set individual goals to keep us moving and sharing what we learn. So, by the 2nd week I hope to post one basic practice like freezing or implying motion. I also hope to try out and post one practice that intimidates me, to push myself a little - like panning! Anyone else want to play?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 9th, 2007, 06:21 AM

Pat, I've been wanting to participate but haven't been able to focus on it for various reasons. But jumping in now sounds like just the distraction I need at this point. So, sounds good to me. I think I'll set my goals the same as yours - one basic exercise and one challenging exercise (the notion of panning does frighten me! ) Thanks!

Click
for my blog
Click
for some of my free textures

Mac OS 10.9
PSE13, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Canon 5DmII, EF 24-105mm f/4L USM, EF 135mm f/2.0L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Old November 9th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Frequent Contributor

Pat, sounds great - I'm in. Some goals always works for me, if anything is open ended - that's how it stays.

"I have not lost my mind - it's backed up on disk somewhere."

Old November 9th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Sounds good to me. I'll try, although still on ch.2.
Going to practice more on Sunday.
m
PSP x3

My Scrapbook galleries

and
Old November 9th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Gosh, I'm still working on Chapter 2...re-read about 5 times! Going to practice with Michelle on Sunday. But I'm in for Chapter 3.
EF 100mm/f2.8 Macro USM
50mm f/1.4 USM

Old November 9th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have just bought flowers, hubby thought they were for him or at least for the hallway - but no, they are to practice Chapter 2! Then they can go in the hallway

"I have not lost my mind - it's backed up on disk somewhere."

Old November 9th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Just went to start the thread. Glad you got it up! I have been a little crazed this last week......

Sorry!

Canon Rebel xt; Canon 40D; canon 18- 55 mm; canon 75 - 300 mm f/5.6; canon 85mm f/1.8; canon 70-200 2.8 IS; canon 24-70 2.8; canon fisheye lens, cheap monopod; my fathers old wooden tripod, a Quantaray QSX 9002D tripod, 20 inch IMAC and a macbook pro
Old November 9th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Great to hear from everybody... Colleen, if you are in agreement I'll leave it to you to post the "official" thread where we can post. (Not trying to step on any toes here )

Edit: Glad to help Colleen - this darn thing called life - hope I didn't mess you up - we still need your "Official thread" . This was just to get us active again.

Linda, too funny about the flowers. Great idea now that the season has cooled. Looking forward to enjoying at least a taste of your results. No pressure

Michelle and Norma, you could always apply the goals to the Aperture Chapter and continue to work where you are comfortable. It's wonderful that you two can get together for this - I would LOVE that!

Julie, sorry to hear you are needing a distraction but happy to have you join in. My camera is what I grab now to take a "time-out". Like me you just might need an extra sweator or two these days - do you have snow yet?

I just might be panning out my livingroom window at the cars going by for now - wish I had worked on this with birds during the summer darn it.
An electric train or other animated toy would be great for Shutter Speed practice wouldn't it? Anything that moves!

Thanks for posting everybody... hope Eddie, Chuck and Lee are still hovering.

Here's a Sim-Cam that is fun and informative with instant results for your exposure settings.
http://www.photonhead.com/simcam/shutteraperture.php
There's a better one but can't find the link at the moment - will post it if and when I find it.

A Popular Site: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/

Old November 9th, 2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayhli View Post
Julie, sorry to hear you are needing a distraction but happy to have you join in. My camera is what I grab now to take a "time-out". Like me you just might need an extra sweator or two these days - do you have snow yet?
No snow here in Ottawa yet, but the thermometer is hovering at 0 degrees C. Last winter was so mild and I'm hoping for a repeat!

Thanks for posting the link to Luminous Landscape. That really is a great site for inspiration...

Click
for my blog
Click
for some of my free textures

Mac OS 10.9
PSE13, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Canon 5DmII, EF 24-105mm f/4L USM, EF 135mm f/2.0L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Old November 9th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Ok!

Here is the new link for Chapter 3..... Thank's Pat!!! Someone always needs to keep an eye on me!!!

http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com...ad.php?t=31181

Canon Rebel xt; Canon 40D; canon 18- 55 mm; canon 75 - 300 mm f/5.6; canon 85mm f/1.8; canon 70-200 2.8 IS; canon 24-70 2.8; canon fisheye lens, cheap monopod; my fathers old wooden tripod, a Quantaray QSX 9002D tripod, 20 inch IMAC and a macbook pro