Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Archives > Online Training (forum is closed to posting)

Old October 31st, 2007, 02:44 PM
New Forum User

only do one lesson a day?

AFTER I had paid for the portrait retouching lesson, I read that there was no way to do more than one lesson a day. This was after searching around trying to find the next lesson. (really there was nothing in the first lesson)

This is disappointing. My time to work on these projects doesn't come in neat daily sessions.

Is there any way around this? If I am forced to actually spend 21 days to do 21 lessons, perhaps I should get started on another tutorial now. My cynical side thinks "what a clever way to get me to buy more than one lesson immediately".

Thanks for your help,
Lori
Old October 31st, 2007, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Hi Lori-

I believe that the next lesson is made available to you in 24-hour increments. If you signed up at 5:00, then Lesson 2 will be available at 5 the next day.

I'm like you, though: my schedule is often all over the place. What I usually do is let several stack up and then watch them when I have the time.

The lessons are available for 60 days, I think.

Hope that helps a little,
Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 31st, 2007, 08:11 PM
New Forum User

Thanks for the reply but not the answer I was hoping for. So I sat down today to devote the afternoon to this project and your advice is wait until the next day I can spend the afternoon working on it.....
Old October 31st, 2007, 08:31 PM
New Forum User

I agree with you I wish they would post all 21 classes and give a certain amount of days to complete. I took a class on levels and was disappointed because had to wait for 24 hours to continue. Most online classes will let you work at your on speed.
Old November 1st, 2007, 12:24 AM
Senior Contributor

It would be nice if they would let you have access to all 21 lessons on the first day then of course still give you the 60 days to work with the lessons. Since the lessons average about 5 minutes each, if we have time, would could watch the first 5 or 6 lessons, then come back later for more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon 60D * Canon XSi
Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 f4-6.3 IS USM * Canon 580EX II
PSE10 / PSE11
Windows 7 Home Premium - i7
Old November 1st, 2007, 01:48 AM
Administrator

Can't say I disagree with any of you. I remember feeling the same way when I took one. I was ready to go, I had the time, and I couldn't be sure when I would have another chunk of time like it. I sympathize with you 100%

But, to quote a famous football coach in these parts, it is what it is. I hope I didn't offend you with my earlier response, and I'm very sorry if that was the case. That certainly wasn't my intent, and I really wasn't trying to offer any unsolicited advice. I was just letting you know how they have decided to set things up, and how I ended up working within their system.

I do believe that customer service is very responsive. Perhaps they can explain why they have it set up as they do. And if you're not satisfied, it wouldn't hurt to ask for a refund. I believe they have a history of doing that as well.

I do hope you're able to reach some sort of solution. And if this happens to inspire a change in how they release lessons, all the better!

Mike

Old November 1st, 2007, 02:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Mike,

You did not offend me one little bit. I had never really thought about the situation until I was reading this post earlier, then I began to think that yes, it would be nice if they would release all the videos at one time, rather than one day at a time. Like I said, what would the powers that be care how soon we watch them. Just my 2 worth

Canon 60D * Canon XSi
Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 f4-6.3 IS USM * Canon 580EX II
PSE10 / PSE11
Windows 7 Home Premium - i7
Old November 1st, 2007, 06:09 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi ..

I can see both sides of this ...

However ... if you were very new to Elements then I think it would be tempting just to move from one lesson to the next with very little break inbetween ... and I'm not sure how much would actually sink in.

So one a day does give time to practice the things in the lesson and maybe get to grips with them.

That sort of structure just doesn't suit some people but I guess they had to take a decision which way to offer it.

Wendy

"

Old November 1st, 2007, 12:51 PM
Known Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
Hi ..

I can see both sides of this ...

However ... if you were very new to Elements then I think it would be tempting just to move from one lesson to the next with very little break inbetween ... and I'm not sure how much would actually sink in.

So one a day does give time to practice the things in the lesson and maybe get to grips with them.

That sort of structure just doesn't suit some people but I guess they had to take a decision which way to offer it.

Wendy
I know you don't make this kind of decision Wendy. You just deal with us on the forums in the nicest way possible. I bet your friends all think you are the sweetest person they know.

But adults with busy schedules should be able to make their own decision on how to take the course.

Currently I'm taking the layers course, which is great, and I'm now behind about 5 days. I got busy and just couldn't work the time in. But I can certainly see where some people would like to knock it out in a weekend and then use the 60 days to refer back to videos. People should have that option.

I did know it was one day at a time when I signed up.

(A work in progress.)

Pentax K10D
Pentax DA 18-55mm
Pentax DA* 50-135mm
Pentax DA 50-200mm
Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro

PSE 6
Photoshop CS3
Painter-X
NAPP Member
Old November 1st, 2007, 04:55 PM
New Forum User

Hi Wendy

If a person did move quickly through the course without any of it sinking in - hopefully the person would realise that and repeat the bits they didn't get.

The first lesson in the photo retouching didn't have much in it. If that had been a lesson full of stuff to practice maybe I wouldn't have had time to move to the next lesson.

I'm still disappointed in it taking me 3 weeks to get this complete.

Lori