Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old October 8th, 2007, 07:32 AM
New Forum User

What version of camera raw does elements 5 come with

Is anyone able to tell me which version of camera raw elements 5 comes with.
I am thinking about buying a new camera and want to make sure that elements 5 will be able to convert the raw files from the camera that I am thinking of buying- I don't want to buy a camera and then find out that it cannot read its raw files.
Any help much appreciated
Chris
Old October 8th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Known Forum User

I don't know which version if RAW it has but Adobe updates their RAW with patches that you can Download. I know that PSE5 will not convert RAW from a Canon 40D but there is a patch from Adobe that you can download that will alow the conversionl
Old October 8th, 2007, 07:43 AM
New Forum User

Hi,

I am just learning how to use RAW... Why will PSE5 convert RAW files from the Canon 30D but not the 40D?
Old October 8th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Pursuing lowbone's point a little further, the RAW capability of PSE is determined by a plug-in that's conveniently replaceable and available for free on the Adobe website. You can go here to check out the cameras that are currently covered.

One concern, though, is that Adobe periodically modifies the plug-in so that it doesn't work with previous versions of PSE (or CS for that matter). A year from now, the new versions of ACR may only work with PSE6, and if you have to get the new version of ACR to match a new camera then, you may have to invest in PSE6. Fortunately, all versions of ACR still work with cameras dating back to 2001; we can only hope that backward compatibility for all cameras will continue to be the design basis!

LR5, PSE10, CS6, Canon, Fuji, iMac
Old October 8th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
Hi,

I am just learning how to use RAW... Why will PSE5 convert RAW files from the Canon 30D but not the 40D?
Leslie, the newest version of the ACR plug-in (4.2) will convert both.

Old October 8th, 2007, 08:05 AM
New Forum User

Not connected to the interent

Thanks for the reply and info about the adobe site and list of supported cameras.
However, my problem is that the computer I use with PSE5 on it is not connected to the net. Therefore I am stuck with what ever version of camera raw elements 5 had when I first installed it and if I knew ther version it has and comes with I could look at a list of supported cameras for that version number.
Thanks
Chris
Old October 8th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Chuck,

hope you don't mind if I ask something here.
Thanks for the link to the Adobe camera raw file support.
I am using a Nikon D40 and see that that is listed under camera raw 4.1, (but not 4.2), what I couldn't see was where I would find the plug-in for that.

I am using PSE5, and although I haven't tried shooting in RAW yet I'd like to get the relevant plug-in (if it is available) for the time when I do,

thanks for your help,
Lisa
Old October 8th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabee View Post
Chuck,

hope you don't mind if I ask something here.
Thanks for the link to the Adobe camera raw file support.
I am using a Nikon D40 and see that that is listed under camera raw 4.1, (but not 4.2), what I couldn't see was where I would find the plug-in for that.

I am using PSE5, and although I haven't tried shooting in RAW yet I'd like to get the relevant plug-in (if it is available) for the time when I do,

thanks for your help,
Lisa
Hi, Lisa: Here's the link to 4.2, which will work fine in PSE5 and is compatible with the D40. You might as well have the latest and greatest!

ACR 4.2

Old October 8th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris austin View Post
Thanks for the reply and info about the adobe site and list of supported cameras.
However, my problem is that the computer I use with PSE5 on it is not connected to the net. Therefore I am stuck with what ever version of camera raw elements 5 had when I first installed it and if I knew ther version it has and comes with I could look at a list of supported cameras for that version number.
Thanks
Chris
Chris, the plug-in is a medium-sized file (3.2 MB zipped) . You should be able to download it on the computer you're using now to access the 'Net, then put it on a flash drive and move it to the unconnected computer. I believe the version that came with PSE5 was 3.5, 3.6, or 3.7, which are significantly less robust and covers fewer cameras than 4.1 and 4.2. I sure wouldn't want to set my choice of cameras based on this relatively small file....

Old October 8th, 2007, 08:36 AM
New Forum User

Thanks for your help, Chuck. I just updated my ACR to 4.2 (just in case Santa leaves a 40D under my tree )