Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old July 31st, 2007, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Aspect ratio

Is there a chart any where that will give me the ratios of sizes on it. Something easy to just glance and see what sizes convert to what sizes . Does anyone know what I mean? I know what I want just can't describe it.
Tina B

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 31st, 2007, 05:25 PM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Tina ...

I suspect that you mean somethig like 12 x 12 will convert to 8 x 8 & 4 x 4 etc ..

I am not aware of any chart that does that ... basically its just a matter of divide both sides by the same number and those are the sizes that it will convert to.

Maybe one of the others has seen a chart somewhere ??

Wendy

"

Old July 31st, 2007, 05:31 PM
Senior Contributor

I guess that is what I wanted to know. Wendy you can figure out what people want even if they don't know what it is.
thanks
Tina B

Old July 31st, 2007, 05:38 PM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Tina ...

Oh that did make me smile ... sometimes its just difficult to find the right word when all the terms are so new and different

Wendy

"

Old July 31st, 2007, 05:54 PM
Senior Contributor

When I want to change my 12x12 to an 8x8 - I merge the layers and use resize> scale and choose - I think it's about 62 %

But I'm sure that's the lame way of doing it. LOL
Epson R1900; Epson NX430 Printers
Nikon Coolpix S8200 Camera

Old July 31st, 2007, 06:02 PM
Senior Contributor

I have a chart that shows a listing of pixel dimensions, print size at 100 ppi, 200 ppi and 300 ppi. Is this what you are lookng for?
EF 100mm/f2.8 Macro USM
50mm f/1.4 USM

Old July 31st, 2007, 07:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Norma
that might be what I need also. I guess I am trying to get the dimentions right when I resize photos.
Tina B

Old July 31st, 2007, 07:49 PM
Known Forum User

Hi Tina,

If I want to maintain the existing ratio, I go into Image, Resize, Image Size and plug in the number I want. My camera shoots in a 4x6 or 1.5 aspect ration, so if I want to print a 4x6, I simply select the width of 6 and it snaps the height to 4 (or close enough to it). I have the resample box not checked, so I dont lose anything, just let elements know is is a 4x6. What ever I want, elements will calculate the corresponding size.

If it isn't a existing ratio, I use the crop tool and set the size I want - say 8x10 and crop the image to that aspect ratio and proceed as usual. I dont need a list of all the equivalent aspect ratios, just pick the one I want and I am off to the races.
Old July 31st, 2007, 08:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwilm View Post
Hi Tina,

If it isn't a existing ratio, I use the crop tool and set the size I want - say 8x10 and crop the image to that aspect ratio and proceed as usual. I dont need a list of all the equivalent aspect ratios, just pick the one I want and I am off to the races.
I would just add that the safest way to use the crop tool is to set the dimensions but not the resolution (ppi). This prevents the crop tool from both cropping and resampling at the same time. If, after cropping, I need to resample up or down for printing, I'll use the Image>Resize>Image Size dialog, where you get to choose the resizing algorithm (bicubic sharper, bicubic smoother, etc.) Just a little bit more control this way.

LR5, PSE10, CS6, Canon, Fuji, iMac
Old July 31st, 2007, 08:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Tina,

I have a scribbled post-it that works for me. Just do some simple division exercises and find that the aspect ratios for common sizes are:
3x5 = 1.67
4x6 = 1.50
5x7 = 1.40
8x10 = 1.25
all square pages are obviously 1.00

If I am attempting to crop an image I will often use "no restriction" and crop to what looks right to me. I will then look at the resulting size and quickly calculate the aspect ratio. (I'm not a math maven - there is a small calculator on the corner of my desk )

If that aspect ratio is very close to one of these standard sizes (and it usually is), I will undo my no restriction crop and recrop using the preset for a standard size. If I or someone else wants a print in the future, this avoids grief and makes it easy to use Wal-Mart, Walgreens, etc.

Just a thought...

Rusty