Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > More > Pixel Hangout

Old June 17th, 2007, 09:48 PM

Photographing Fireflies

We have a spectacular display of fireflies going on outside. I tried to take a photo. Cranked the ISO up to 1600, f4.5 and a 30 sec time exposure. The result - nothing - well maybe a hint of something but it could be dust spots on the sensor. Has anyone had any luck taking flashing firefly pics? How can you do it?

Tony
Old June 17th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I cannot help...

I just wanted to say that I have never had the privilege, but before I die I would like to see a firefly.

...and that I hope someone can give Tony some good advice so he can show us the pictures!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I'm trying to think but nothing happens" - Jerome Horwitz
Old June 17th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Senior Contributor

We have fireflies here in Wisconsin too and they are just putting on quite a light show. I have also tried to capture them in a photo but no luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old June 17th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Interesting idea, never thought of this.

Found this site:
http://www.byteland.org/naturalist/f...tml#photograph

Old June 18th, 2007, 04:19 AM

Kay: Thanks for that link - it's excellent. I can now see why I had a problem - they look really bright to the eye but I guess cameras have a way to go before they catch up to the sensitivity of the eye at night. I'll have to try that flash technique - see if I can get my flash to simulate a flashing male and get the females to flash back

Tony
Old June 18th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Enlightened Elder

My Tony ...

Do hope that you don't get caught imitating a flashing male

Wendy

"

Old June 18th, 2007, 05:37 AM

Wendy: Funnily enough I was reminiscing with my sister last week in England about the glow worms (which are apparently wingless fireflies) we used to see as kids in the UK. I don't know if they're still around but she says it's been years since she saw one. She claims we collected them in jam jars and read by the light of them but I suspect that's just her vivid imagination at work .

Tony
Old June 18th, 2007, 05:56 AM

I love fireflies! I caught my share of them in Ohio when I was young. Though I have seen the odd one at the cottage in the Laurentians, we have none here in Ottawa. Tony, I hope you catch a good picture so you can share it with us...

Click
for my blog

Mac OS 10.9
PSE13, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Canon 5DmII, EF 24-105mm f/4L USM, EF 135mm f/2.0L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Old June 18th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Tony ...

If you gave several in a jar then they do give off a reasonable amount of light ... but I never realised that they are wingless fireflies

Wendy

"

Old June 18th, 2007, 06:45 AM
Frequent Contributor

You have me longing for my childhood! I was just watching the "lightning bugs" light up the woods behind our house the other evening. They make it look like twinkling lights. On occasions, Dusty will catch one as it flies by and bring it in the house. I remember catching them and putting them in jars as a child. Such fun!

Sherrie